Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some testing today, I think the filter from my short ram intake can fit in the stock air box. My question is will the DIY icebox work well with a short ram intake? I know it will be sucking up colder air and provide some shielding from the heat in the engine bay, but will the DIY icebox provide enough air flow to the intake filter? Even if it doesn't, will the colder air worth this air flow restriction? Thanks!

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
why is it a flow restriction? you are using the same short ram and the air enters at the short ram opening.

In a single plenum IM, the intake/TB unit serves as a ram tuning device. The diameter and length of the intake/TB relative to the plenum size and runner length affects powerband location.

In an open ITB setup where there is no plenum and therefore no resonance, you are looking at the velocity stack effect at the ITB opening to gain instantaneous increased positive pressure at the intake valve just before it opens.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
remember, it's 1% crank hp gain for every 11 degrees F you drop in intake temp at the intake opening. In a 155-160 whp car, that's about a 2-3 whp difference compared to sucking in engine bay temps which aren't as hot as you think when the car is moving. People are pretty surprised when they measure the engine bay temp at the short ram opening when the car is moving at highway speeds. Trust me, the diameter of the intake and it's length play a much bigger role in a single plenum IM.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think what he was trying to get at was the size of the stock air box..... wondering if swapping out for a bigger air box used in a legend or comptech icebox for example would net any positive results

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The Comptech Icebox isn't that much bigger than the stock box. The main difference is the larger opening inlet and lower air horn which points forward to fill the box with air when you're moving.

Will the stock box be too small and cause a restriction? We really need to know what car it's being used on and what mods it has.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
A bigger air box will definitely help since it provides the available air to the opening under higher pressure than say a short ram open to an engine bay. The more available air under pressure, the better. You provide volume and higher pressure to feed the intake.

will a stock airbox hurt you? at the upper rpms maybe if you have a huge extreme motor that needs a certain flow volume. for your situation however, with initial bolt-ons, you aren't pushing the limits of that stock box volume yet.

If you can, though, I would recommend going to the junk yard and locating a Legend airbox. They are pretty cheap. You'll have to retrofit the size of the opening to slide your short ram opening into the box...nothing a Dremel or scroll saw can't handle. Make sure it seals up tight though around the short ram with no leaks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I forget I don't have my signiture setup here, I have a 1998 Integra GS (automatic). The short ram is the only mod I have, I am just looking for cheap ways to improve it and using the stock air box for a DIY icebox seems like the best choice. What I really like to do is to lower the sound coming from the intake and get the same or better performance.

So given my car is pretty much stock, will I see any improvments in performance over the short ram intake if I go ahead with this "upgrade"?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mike had already adressed this:

Michael Delaney on Aug/17/02 said:
remember, it's 1% crank hp gain for every 11 degrees F you drop in intake temp at the intake opening. In a 155-160 whp car, that's about a 2-3 whp difference compared to sucking in engine bay temps which aren't as hot as you think when the car is moving.
Your car is probably making around 115 whp so you would see around a 1hp difference for every 11 degrees you dropped the intake temp. A stock airbox should be sufficient with your curent setup and should quite the intake, the gains however will be minimal

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The dynos I've seen of the DIY Icebox setup using the stock Integra airbox have not been favorable. I would leave the short ram as it is or get a bigger Legend box like MD suggested.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Dyno of AEM, ICEMAN, DIY

This was done on a TypeR, its just a simple compairison of a few different intakes.

Its not quite up to the same performance as the other two intakes, but its not bad for $20 - $30 in parts.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
How would a ram air show gains on a dyno? I guess maybe if you were able to put some 45MPH winds in front of the car it might show a gain...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I remove the resenator this afternoon and put the stock airbox around my intake (not an icebox yet). I sealed the gap between the intake pipe and the airbox so the only openning is at the bottom. And took 3 test drives back to back.

1. With the airbox surrounding the filter, the car was quiter and I "felt" the car was less responsive and less powerful.

2. Took the top of the airbox off, the car still runs about the same, but much louder.

3. With the airbox surrounding the filter again, still felt the same performance wise.

I guess putting the airbox round the filter didn't restrict the air that much to make my car run slower. Don't know why I felt the car was a little weaker with the first drive, maybe it was??? What do you guys think? Go ahead with the DIY pipe to suck cold air now?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts