Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I did basically in a nut shell.

I used a Rivet Gun with the appropriate length and size rivets.

And bought a small Roll of Aluminum Sheet at Home Depot or Lowes. Can also be small sheets that cost 35 cents ( Roll is about $7).

Use a drill with the appropriate size bit to match the size rivet you choose. Drill your holes and rivet the aluminum sheet shaped as above and make sure the rivet goes all the way through with a bit of overhang to grip when compressed. Drill a couple holes or dremel the bigger hole for the 10mm bolt and your done. You can also try filling in the missing section with some plastic or glue or something to make the inside more solid like Permapoxy Plastic Weld or some type of plastic glue that dries hard. I didn't and it still holding strong although I will be doing this just to give it strength inside the metal brace and just dremel the hole where the 10mm bolt goes or use a drill in a way as a dremel.

There you go. Easy fix for plastic and fiberglass bumpers. Mine is fiberglass although I fixed my wifed Mazdaspeed 3 bumper this way as well and that one is plastic.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I was just talking to a friend about this today, he was saying how he thought about doing that, I say good idea. The only problem he ran into when trying to rivet was that he got all done and saw his intercooler wasn't straight so he had to take the bumper off and break the rivets lol. needless to say he is now looking at the quick release for the bumpers.
But it did look good and worked
Glad you did a diy!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well with this you dont have to break the rivets. All you are doing is repairing the damage on the bumper so it functions like stock again. Thats what the oval hole in the middle is there for so the 10mm bolts goes though and screws in like normal.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Works great too. Its been holding up for months and I have rubbed my fiberglass bumper on driveways and speed bumps and it holds great. Wife also rubs with her MS3 and the repair holds just as strong as when it was not damaged. If I can I will take a picture later today to show how mine was done or even the wifes.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I had no picture to go by LOL. Hope you dont mind me using the picture. Shows the damage really good so I had to use it. Anyways really simple to do for anyone. The Rivet gun can be had for a little over $5 and the sheet metal by the sheet is about .40 cents. From there you just need a drill or one can do it with a dremel with some drill bits for it. The rivet gun may have some rivets that come with it to get you started but they may not be long enough.

·
Banned
2,878 Posts
Yea I had no picture to go by LOL. Hope you dont mind me using the picture. Shows the damage really good so I had to use it. Anyways really simple to do for anyone. The Rivet gun can be had for a little over $5 and the sheet metal by the sheet is about .40 cents. From there you just need a drill or one can do it with a dremel with some drill bits for it. The rivet gun may have some rivets that come with it to get you started but they may not be long enough.
I definitely don't mind.:D

Another alternative some members were throwing on the posting I did was using a "mechanic's tape."
It is a narrow metal sheet that literally looks like a rolled up tape. Under $5 at any store. It has small lines through it. But the damage on mine was too bad that it was difficult to fab that up.
So, I just drilled holes into ares of the tab that are still intact and zip-tied it, lol.

Long story short, now I've replaced it with an aftermarket oem bumper and repainted it myself. :)

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Awesome thanks for the write up! I've got the same issue with the JDM front bumper I bought and was wondering the best way to repair it. I've even got the same rivet gun and some spare aluminum to use. Thanks again!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.