Team Integra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
traderj on Aug/17/06 said:
Any way I can get my regular lights to go on when I start the car? Living in an urban area there are lots of street lights and I tend to forget my lights till I hit a dark spot and can't see. Not good when your rolling at night in a black car with no lights.

heres a video of how they work

DRL Video demonstration

·
Registered
185 Posts
What I ment was instead of having the highs be on, make my regular lights do that (parking and night driving). So that when I turn my car on they go on automacily but don't bing at me when I shut the car off and get out.

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
traderj on Aug/17/06 said:
What I ment was instead of having the highs be on, make my regular lights do that (parking and night driving). So that when I turn my car on they go on automacily but don't bing at me when I shut the car off and get out.
yeah you can do that. you dont even need a relay for that. Just hook the headlight positive and parking light positive wires up to the ignition. thats it. no relay required.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
hmmm maybe I should try out DRL again on my RSX. Tired many many times without any sucess.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Got a question concerning the fuse box. What prong are you talking about? I might be stupid for asking this but I just looked at my fuse box that's underneath the dash and didn't see any lonely prongs. A more detailed explanation of what prong you are talking about or a picture would be great.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
im gonna try this after i get a relay...might throw a resistor in there to lower the brightness some...

·
Registered
602 Posts
You won't have any luck with a resistor. The wattage is way to high to be practical. You would have better luck using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). I'm working on a circuit using a 555 right now to see if I can get them to dim. I'll post my results later.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
thats pretty sweet, i think if i did something like that i would like them to run at like 30-50% when you turn the car on (or may just the parking lights), and stay on when the lows/parking lights are on, then change to full highs when u want to turn those on... so if anybody has any idea how one could do that i would love to hear about it.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I have a 5 pin relay...but it didnt work for me. I have the 30, 85, 86, and 2 87 connectors..mine doesnt have the 87 and 87a. I guess I would need to buy a relay w/ the 87a connector on it so that it will not have constant power w/ the parking lights. I noticed when I wired it up..the high beams turn on w/ the parking lights which means that the 87 connectors are the hot wires..
do i need another relay?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ok, I have two relay's: a 4 prong and a five prong. The 4 prong one has only a "87" prong and no "87a" prong, will that work or do I need to get a relay that has a "87a" prong because there is a big difference?

-J

·
Registered
602 Posts
You need the 87a pin to make the DRLs function correctly. If you don't have the relay, they are only $5 at Radioshack, or the parts store.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Tried my local Radioshack, Autozone, and Wal-mart. No success at any of them. I guess I'll try O'Reilly's and Pep Boys, but after them, I have no idea where to look. HELP PEOPLE! As of right now, my high beams are not functional!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yeah. I tried explaining to the guy at Autozone that I needed a relay WITH 87a. He told me 87 would do fine. Those idiots wouldn't know their asshole from a hole in the ground, seriously...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well, to help you in your quest, the 87a is a SPDT (single poll double throw) relay. The 4 prong ,87 only relay, is a SPST. (single poll single throw) You can use any 12v SPDT relay that can handle the amperage. You just have to match the pins.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
ok for those of you having trouble finding a 5pin relay with an 87a center prong. Autozone has it. It is quite costly($12) but IMO well worth the $$$. The box is Labeled "GP SORENSEN". Part no: MR125. I will get a pic of what the box looks like. IMO best thing to do is ask like I did. Ask for a 5pin relay with an Center pin that reads 87a. As stated after finishing the wiring and hooking everything up all Lights will work like OEM style after switching on the parking lights. I am going to test out if the Highs will turn off when the Low beams turn on. So that I can drive around with just the high beams on. I myself like mike have a father on the police force so I will not have any problems with my lights and the police. Sometime this friday I will test some things on how to make them more dimmer.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I went on eBay and ordered one. I had it on my car 3 days later.

I LOVE the DRLs. I even wired one of the high beam wires into the relay to allow myself to turn the highs on when I need to use them.

Good write up shoreteg!

21 - 40 of 93 Posts