Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DRL = Day time running lights

OK first off this was THE EASIEST and QUICKEST mod ive done so far.

What u'll need:

Bosh relay
Wire cutters
Wire strippers
electrical tape
zip ties
volt meter
screw driver

Step 1:
Remove your high beam bulbs from their sockets.

Step 2:
Test one of the 2 wires (it should be the red wire) with your volt meter to find the positive wire. It should read 12 volts with the high beams on.

Heres a pic of the socket

Step 3:
Remove your passenger side turn signal and test the red wire on the "bigger" bulb" This should read 12 volts constantly when the parking lights are one and with the hazard switch on.

Heres a pic of the socket...dont mind the blue wires there...those are for my side markers

Step 4:
Find the prong in your fuse box that gets 12 volts when the ignition is on. (im 99% sure its the furthest to the right)
Ill get a pic of this later.

Step 5:
Connect a wire to that prong using a femal spade connector and run it through the fire wall into the engine bay

Step 6:
Connect this wire to prong/wire 30 on the relay

Step 7:
Connect the 87a prog/wire to your positive high beam wires. Tap into them anywhere you like (i did it right by the sockets themselves.)

Step 8:
Tap into the red wire on the turn signal and connect it to prong/wire 85 on the relay.

Step 9:
Connect prong/wire 86 to ground.

Step 10:
Secure all wires and make sure they are clear of any hot or moving parts.

Pics for the rest of the steps arent really necessary. If need be ill make a wiring diagram.

DoNE! Now your high beams will come on when the ignition is on (running or not) and will shut off when your parking lights come on!

Now if you are not sure which wires are which on the relay...no big deal...heres how you find out.

With your volt meter find which wire has continuity (or shows resistance) with the center wire when you test them. The one in the middle is your 87a wire and the one on the bottom is the 30 wire. Now using your battery tap 2 of the 3 remaining wires on the positive and negative terminals and listen for a clicking sound. That means it is activating the relay. Those are your 85 and 86 wires. The last wire is unused because it is hot while your parking lights are on. You can use this wire to power something on along with your headlights (like interior neons and such)

Now enjoy your new DRL's

If you want them to run at a lower intensity you can experiment with resistors. I didnt have time for this and besides brighter is better.

Any questions...post em in this thread. Ill have a day time pic up tommorow since i finished after dark.

·
Registered
552 Posts
heh? so the highbeam will be constantly on.

If you want to turn on the lowbeam at night, wouldn't that be illegal to have both lowbeam and highbeam on at the same time?

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
phantuan on Aug/10/06 said:
heh? so the highbeam will be constantly on.

If you want to turn on the lowbeam at night, wouldn't that be illegal to have both lowbeam and highbeam on at the same time?

No...the reason why you are taping into the turn signal wires is because when they turn on, they shut off the high beams. Ok here ill explain a little further how it works.

one wire on the relay is your power wire. You hook that up to a power source (in this case, the ignition)

Now there are 2 seperate wires that the first wire can send power too. It sends power to one when the relay is switched "on" and the other when its switched "off". You hook the high beams up to the wire that gets power when the relay is "off." Hold on to that thought.

Now the Parking lights are hooked up to a wire that switched the relay on or off based on wether or not it sees 12 volts. When you turn your parking lights on, it sends 12 volts to the relay and turns the relay "on" and thus switching the output wire that gets 12 volts.

So when:
1. Ignition is on
2. parking lights off
=relay off = high beam wires get power

And
1. ignition on
2. parking lights on
= relay on = high beam wires get no power

Hope that explains it a little better.

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
intelone on Aug/10/06 said:
How do you make the highbeams run at 60% bright like DRL suppose to be?
you would have to use a resistor. i didnt have time to experiment with these so im not sure which size you would need.

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AfghanIntegra on Aug/11/06 said:
I hate DRL lol. What's the point of it, just wastes bulb life. I had them on my Passat and I hated the look of it.

Makes you more visible in the daytime. PLus this is on the high beams so it doesnt waste your regular bulbs. I only did this because i have yellow high beams and trust me it looks sick during the day (especially with my new

eye lids)

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
heres a pic in a parking garage...i have the fogs on too

its with a cell phone so its not the greatest...day time pic will be posted tommorow night

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes the canadian tegs already have these but they run at 60% brightness as opposed to full like mine....get nicer bulbs for your high beams and they wont be so ugly. i purchased the jdm yellow 9005's for mine from izcarloo. they look great even during the day. You could even get the ricer blue bulbs and they would look pure white during the day.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
interesting mod, but something i'm not a fan of.

i bet that's BRIGHT... Are you concerned about the legality issues?

·
Registered
552 Posts
shore96teg on Aug/10/06 said:
No...the reason why you are taping into the turn signal wires is because when they turn on, they shut off the high beams. Ok here ill explain a little further how it works.

one wire on the relay is your power wire. You hook that up to a power source (in this case, the ignition)

Now there are 2 seperate wires that the first wire can send power too. It sends power to one when the relay is switched "on" and the other when its switched "off". You hook the high beams up to the wire that gets power when the relay is "off." Hold on to that thought.

Now the Parking lights are hooked up to a wire that switched the relay on or off based on wether or not it sees 12 volts. When you turn your parking lights on, it sends 12 volts to the relay and turns the relay "on" and thus switching the output wire that gets 12 volts.

So when:
1. Ignition is on
2. parking lights off
=relay off = high beam wires get power

And
1. ignition on
2. parking lights on
= relay on = high beam wires get no power

Hope that explains it a little better.
I see. cool. I'll do this as soon as i fix the alternator whine when I have my head lights on.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well i got a question. What if you need to turn your highbeams while your low-beams and parking lights are on, would you still be able to turn on you high-beams?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Any way I can get my regular lights to go on when I start the car? Living in an urban area there are lots of street lights and I tend to forget my lights till I hit a dark spot and can't see. Not good when your rolling at night in a black car with no lights.

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
98_wht_LS on Aug/17/06 said:
Well i got a question. What if you need to turn your highbeams while your low-beams and parking lights are on, would you still be able to turn on you high-beams?
yes. all the realy is doing is sending power to the high beams while the parking lights are off. As soon as the parking lights come on, the circuit chuts off and the high beam circuit operates in stock form. This makes it legal. Its not obtrusive or overly bright during the day at all....even dusk its not too bad (the eyelids help though)

I have had them for 3 weeks with no problems even though they are yellow. Even if i did id just hand them this.

This is how i roll at dusk

1 - 20 of 93 Posts