Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think it would be posible to put a dimmer switch on angel eyes? I'm just toying with the idea... I don't know what good it would do, but its an interesting thought. Even if you could put one on the fog lights or something. If it is possible, what kind of dimmer switch do you think would work?

I was thinking about maybe something like the first one on this page. What do you think?

·
The Enforcer!
5,803 Posts
im pretty sure it will work
since we are on the topic of lighting does anybody have red LED's that i can use for my angel eyes? i want to use red but i cant find the recommended LED unless there is something else i can use

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The more I think about it the more I figure I'll do it. I just need to find a place that sells the dimmer switch. I think I'll just wire them to a regular switch for now and then change that out later. I would imagine that Radio Shack could find me a dimmer switch or something that will work, don't you?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I went to radio shack today after work and got myself hooked up with an LED dimmer and a switch for the angel eyes. I spent a few minutes with a dremmel and a sodering iron and worked out on of those little panel things by the eBrake and set everything up. Its going to take a little more work with the dremmel to get this to go back into the car, but that's not a problem. I'm going to run the wires and get everything set to go tomorrow. What do you think? Pretty slick, ain't it? That is all in there tight as a drum. My garage smells like burning plastic now and there are black shavings everywhere, but I think its going to be worth it.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For sure. I should have that part wired in and ready tomorrow night. I'm just going to run the wires out and then connect them when I get the other headlight in. I can't wait.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know where I would find a knob for that dimmer? I guess I could check at Radio Shack again. It didn't come with one and I'm not sure were to go to find one.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
loud_whispers on Feb/25/04 said:
very intresting man.
post pictures and maybe make an article on it with instructions how to do it!
I'm sure I'll post pictures. I don't know what good that will do though. It will all be hidden in the console. lol

The wiring is actually pretty easy. The switch in the back will have the power coming from the parking lights going to one prong and then coming off on the other prong. That wire will connect to one of the outside prongs on the dimmer. The other outside prong will be the ground and the middle one will be the power line going back to the halos. Pretty simple.

I wasn't sure about all the factors that are involved in choosing the right dimmer, but this is a 25 ohm dimmer so it should dim the halos about halfway. That's good enough. I'm just testing it for now. Changing the dimmer should be easy enough if it doesn't work very well. If nothing else then I'll just leave it on full all the time and never dim them. It was just something I couldn't resist adding in there. I'll write something better up after I find out how well it works. I'm going to test it today and see what happens. If it works then I'm going to install the switch plate back in the car and run the wires. Then all I'll have to do is connect two or three wires together when the other headlight gets here and all the wiring will already be done.

·
Registered
100 Posts
dood all ya need is a rheostat, gotto radio shack to get em, i use to bve into case modding, we would make rheostate babuses to control how fast the fans would spin, im 100% sure your radioshack will have em

yeah thaeyre called rehostats

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what that switch is. Its a rehostat.

I got it all wired up today. I ran the wires under the console and then into the engine bay. I'll wait to wire the rest when I get my other headlight back. The switch looks pretty good. I even tapped one of my alarm LEDs to the switch so when I turn it on the light above will come on. I just need a knob cover for the dimmer now.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
i was about to say when i read that first post you made, PLEASE DoNT SPEND $27 on that potentiometer from that site! RadioShack is the sh*t when it comes to small parts like that. Nice job, I have used some radioshack potentiometers before on a custom controller i made for old model railroad of mine, and i gto some nice aluminum knobs at radioshack to go with them. in your case, i would probably use the black plastic ones or paint an aluminum one flat black....

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm just glad it all fit nice and neat where I wanted it to go. It was kind of a leap of faith when I was buying the parts because I didn't have that little panel with me and I had no idea if it would fit. Its all nice and tight now. :)

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tested the dimmer this morning. It works great! I don't know under what possible circumstances I will ever have to dim my angel eyes, but its there if I ever do. lol Now I just need to get the other headlight in and I'm all set. All I have to do at this point is wire the passenger side headlight ground to something and then cross the power over to the other side. Hopefully I'll have pictures of it all done this weekend sometime.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.