Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your guys opions on different car stereo brands? I want to get a good amp and good subs for a good price. What do you guys think about all the different brands like Sony, Kenwood, Panasonic, Alpine, Kicker, Audiobahn, and others? Do you think some suck like Sony? Do you think some are over priced like Alpine? Please help me out to find something that I can get fairly inexpensively and upgrade (1 sub + 1 amp now) 2 more later.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i dont think alpine is overpriced.....you get what u pay for...just try and find a sale, and your good to go

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pioneer head units are good for the money, but I'd say if you want good quality, go with Alpine. For subs, rockford fosgate isn't bad for the price, for good quality, go with JL. Amps...Alpine or Rockford, stay away from sony AND ESPECIALLY JENSEN!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
well its been said on here before and i will say it again, what you pay is what you get, when you pay a large amount for a JL subwoofer u can trust that it is gonna KNOCK liek hell same with kickers, and rockford to some extent. so basicly u want a good system get ready to pay a lot. as for the better brands.....i would name JL and Kicker for subs, phenoix gold for amps, infinity for two ways, alpine and kenwood for headunits, and i really like audiobahn EQ's

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
give us a price your looking to spend...but what you really just need to go listen to stuff write down what it is and then ask us if it's good

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm looking to spend around 300 bucks at first [this summer will be my first summer owning a car as I am turning 16 in 2 months] , I will probably only get subs and amps and sub boxes. BASICALLY I want a good setup that will allow me to upgrade it without getting rid of what I have bought. So I want to probably keep stock CD player, get 1 sub, 1 mono amp, and I really want a cool and spacious install in the hatch. So yah, around 300-400 for 1 sub and 1 amp and in the near future (next christmas) I will like to add on to it with another sub and amp if that is what you guys would suggest. SO yah help me out here guys, I'm not a pro, in car audio. Haha sick rhymes yo (i want it to bump)!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just so you know I have my integra now (looks like my avitar) and I'm thinking about placing amp in the replacement tire spot so it is view able through a square of plexi-glass and I'll have 2 red neons lighting it up. I want it to be under the plexi so i have room for cargo if i need it and i want a small but good box so I can have enough room for storage and really tight bass. not into loudness, more tight focused bass. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
300 will get you an entry level system...not really something I'd plan on building on...I'd get a 2 channel amp so that you can switch it over to running mids/highs in the future and a 10" sub/box maybe 12"...most car audio shops will have a setup that they sell that's around what your looking for
just go listen to the shops around you tell them what you want and what your plans are but I wouldn't suggest the mono amp idea since you'll want to be able to re-use some of the equipment...
Later,
Jared

EDIT: I'd also just stick to a plain box/amp setup nothing fancy till you can spend a bit and get something nice worked up!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yah, what kind of sub and mono sub amp is good for that price?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
man...this is probably the best advice we can give you...spend a day listening to setups shops have if you find one you like...have them write down what your getting (model#'s and all) then update this post with a few options and we'll let you know how it's looking...since you're new to car audio (it sounds like at least) make this one thing you engrave in your head...sound is relative meaning if it sounds good to you your best friend might think it sounds like junk...the same thing can sound completely different to different people....

So go listen to setups you find one that sounds good let us know whats included and we'll let you know the quality of it! But please please don't be somebody that lets someone recommend a speaker and go buy it off of hearsay...listen to quality of the product comments (how it lasts, etc) not how it sounds comments (the highs are amazing, the mids where superior but was lacking low end response...etc)...just don't buy into that!!! PLEASE

EDIT:
stephendawafa on Mar/14/04 said:
yah, what kind of sub and mono sub amp is good for that price?
you DoN'T want a mono amp...if you buy a mono it most likely won't put out enough power to add a sub to later so you'll be stuck selling it you WANT a 2ch...at least that's my recommendation!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
integra102881 on Mar/14/04 said:
10" type r sub and a 2 channel mtx amp but u need more cash
Hmmm I really don't care for the type R...I swear by the kicker solobarics, and MTX does make a really nice amp...go listen to the stuff in your area and let us know what's available to you and what YOU NOT US thought sounded good

·
Registered
402 Posts
90_integraLS on Mar/14/04 said:
EDIT:
Quote: stephendawafa on Mar/14/04yah, what kind of sub and mono sub amp is good for that price?
you DoN'T want a mono amp...if you buy a mono it most likely won't put out enough power to add a sub to later so you'll be stuck selling it you WANT a 2ch...at least that's my recommendation!
[/quote]
if he adds a second sub later to a mono amp, he will be switching from 4 to 2 ohms, thereby increasing the power output of the amp (assuming the amp is 2 ohm stable), but also increasing distortion and decreasing damping. it all depends on how you think it sounds and how serious of an ausiophile u are. most people cant tell the difference in distortion between 2 and 4 ohms, others can. take everyone else's advice and go out and listen to them.

oh, and as for what amps to get, look at the numbers. SNR, THD, crossovers, damping, and make sure that you know exactly how those numbers are derived. if you dont know what those numbers mean, then ask. the thing about amplifiers (unlike speakers) is that theyre only as good as the numbers are. the only non-quantitative feature in an amp that i think is important is heat dissipation, but most of the good amp companies have good heat dissipation. i personally love JL's slash series. pricey, but the numbers are incredible, better than any RF or Kicker amp i have ever seen. for a budget amp, JBL's numbers are great, although i dont know much about the heat issues.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think snr and thd are something to keep in mind but not nessessarily what I would base my decision on. I would look at the flexability (as in the crossover), power and what you may use it for in the future (as suggested move to the highs). In a car on the road there is so much noise anyways i think differences between reputable manufactures in terms of thd and snr are really trivial.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
cpdude on Mar/14/04 said:
I think snr and thd are something to keep in mind but not nessessarily what I would base my decision on. I would look at the flexability (as in the crossover), power and what you may use it for in the future (as suggested move to the highs). In a car on the road there is so much noise anyways i think differences between reputable manufactures in terms of thd and snr are really trivial.
ya but MOST of the road noise is in the bass region not the mids and highs that's why they sound decent in comparisson to the lows (for the most part I know this isn't set in stone) as well as the fact that generally there just isn't a driver designed for bass...

Also if you're wanting to learn about car audio grab this book "The Car Stereo Cookbook" it's a great book to give you a decent background in the area and now that I'm a little more versed I no longer agree with 100% but that's just human nature so I'd highly recommend it to you...or mecp.com and get the study guide but i'd recommend the other first as it's geared more towards people that don't have a background in car audio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Id say get a pioneer deck, but definetely get an aftermarket deck because the stock preouts suck and the sub wont sound as good as it could. For subs and amp id say get orion, kicker, jl, audiobahn or something comparable. Try to get a mono channel class d amp because it will sound a lot better than a brigded two channel amp. you can probably geta good amp, sub, and box for 350-450 before installation. Look on discountjungles.net for good deals.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Also, when you start researching be sure to note what it is you are looking at. If you find a 1800 watt amp for 149.95, it is not an 1800 watt amp. When you see watts or are told about it by sales people, make sure you are discussing the watts in terms of RMS (continuous power handling).

I would also stay away from places like circuit city/best buy, not because they "suck" (like most would say) but because 9 times out of 10, they are not as knowledgable as you would like them to be.

I would find a little privately owned audio shop and start there. Not just because of the knowledge, but because of the fact that they have more time to devote just to you, and also beause of the fact that because it is privately owned, they have the power to negotiate. If you go into a privately owned audio shop and pay what the sticker on the product says, you are doing something wrong.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts