Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working under the hood of my friend's 95 SE and noticed the sticker on his tranny read 'S80-########' (# = random numbers). So i said "hey, we both have LS's...i wonder why i have a Y80, and you have an S80"

we shrugged and continued our work...so what is the difference, if any?

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well according to my search results...people call the 94+ integra trannies Y80/S80, so i guess there is no difference except gearing when mated to an B1, C1, or C5.

i'll leave it open tho, if anyone wants to give some input.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
My tranny is an S80. I thought all 3rd gen Integra 5spd manual trannies were S80. Not sure how Y80 is any different.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn, Surfer, i was hoping you'd have some insight on my question!
but according to a site that listed all Acura trannies, Y80 was the "94 on" transmission they had. Then some Honda Hybrid site was installing a LSD into a teg-mission (heh) and they kept calling it Y80/S80...bllehhh

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know but i have Y80, Surfer has S80, Dom331 has S80, friend w/ SE has S80...am i the odd man out?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Hmm, the green sticker on my trannie doesn't have S80 or Y80

unless I am looking at the wrong sticker (the vertical one right by the engine code stamp &#?)

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
green??? but it is vertical and has a barcode on as well.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Mine's not vertical
. I have a white sticker with S80-# (serial number) and a barcode underneath.

Okay everyone with 5spd's check your tranny codes haha.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hahaha, okay mine is white and vertical reading Y80-#'s....everyone put up your tranny codes and lets see what's the deal here...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mine is an s80..i have a gsr...LT6916 i was also confused as to what my tranny was...and thought the previous owner swapped a type r tranny with LSD!!!..i wish!!!...mine reads s80 (which is what the type r has) but everywhere i looked on the net, the tranny associated with a gsr is supposed to be y80..so i thought i lucked out with a type r tranny...BUT apparently the codes are interchangeable...it could be either s80 or y80...

check this out:

http://torontocivics.com/engineguide.html

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Y80's and S80's are completely interchangable. The only real obvious difference is that the S80 comes with a Helical differential as an option, while the Y80 comes with a Viscous unit as an option (in the SiR-G). The guts are all mix and match though.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
lol, wth is wrong with me. I should have recognized that especially since I just copied it down two days ago for my insurance.

Anyways, mine is a S80 as well..

(edited previous post as well)

Rooster - so the Y80 and S80 are the same gearing wise, except for the differential?
what is the difference between the two differentials?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I would agree with that if the LS did not have an S80 tranny as well. The GS-R tranny is able to fit the Type R's helical limited slip differential however it will not fit the LS tranny. However it seems all Integras including LS, GS-R, and Type R have S80 as tranny codes which is why I'm doubting it has to do with the differential.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts