Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday i adjusted the valves and everything was fine until i put the valve cover back on. when i was tightening the 7 bolts that hold the valve cover on, the center bolt broke on me when i was tightening the nut around it. i was like WTF! it just broke inside the nut. but monday i went to the dealership and got another one and installed it but i was scared to tighten it to spec like it says in the helms manual.

so today, i thought i would tighten them all to spec (1 kgfm) to make myself feel better. so i started tightening them in the order that helms specifies, and then another f*cking bolt breaks!! i dont understand it, why the f*ck are they breaking on me? the only bolt that is tightened to spec is the one i replaced, which hasnt been exposed to heat for a long period of time.

am i doing something wrong? has anyone else had this problem? my theory is that the bolts have been exposed to so much heat it has weakened them to the point where they cant hold what they're supposed to. so tomorrow i have to go back and get another bolt, should i just replace them all? help!!

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Those bolts are pretty easy to brake, its pretty common. It wouldn't be a bade idea to replace them all if you can.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i feel better knowing its a common problem...i guess i'll just replace them all. just sucks paying $5 per bolt. those dealerships make a killing off of car parts.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I honestly think that they break from being torqued too tightly in the past.

I broke 2 of them on monday. When I took the valve cover off, I had a bolt that holds the camshaft cover backing itself out by itself. Good thing I broke my valve cover bolts b/c otherwise I would have ended up with something far worse...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i already placed the order at the dealership for 6 new bolts. no harm done, just puts my mind at ease knowing they will all be stronger and hopefully wont break.

·
Registered
324 Posts
kevinca on Sep/10/02 said:
BTW I started using the old I-beam style torque wrenches. Are they fairly accurate?
Invest in a good 'click' type torque ratchet. I have a 3/8" and a 1/2" in my box. Invaluable.

·
Registered
304 Posts
pboilee on Apr/13/04 said:
Make sure that the engine is not hot. Heat will weaken the bolts.
you also don't want to be doing the valve adjustment itself when the engine's hot.

I haven't had any problems with the VC bolts using even a cheap clicker-type torque wrench from Pep Boys.

·
Registered
948 Posts
These aren't mission critical bolts. They just have to be on tight enough to seal the valve cover.

You dont' really need a torque wrench, tightening them snug by hand should be sufficient. Then run the engine and check for leaks. Check the bolts again for snugness. Then go for a hard drive once its warmed up. Check for leaks and snugness. Then you should be find.

once you work on your car long enough you'll be able to sense the yield strength of the bolt before you break it. If you peak in the shop at your dealership, nobody is using a torque wrench unless its a super critical part.

These guys use an air ratchet to put your lug nuts on (which is very bad). Trust me, they ain't pulling out the torque wrench to tighten your VC nuts to spec.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
wow... back from the dead...

yeah its happened to me too, I just use my small ass rachet (its about 5 inches long) to tighten it down just to make sure i don't put too much torque on it.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
tegtronic on Apr/13/04 said:
Quote: pboilee on Apr/13/04Make sure that the engine is not hot. Heat will weaken the bolts.
you also don't want to be doing the valve adjustment itself when the engine's hot. [/quote] i was told by the dealer wait at least 3hrs before doing this

1 - 16 of 16 Posts