Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to find out what is wrong with my car. when the problem occured i had it at the dragstrip and i was going threw several runs shifting after redline just before fuel cutoff. All of a sudden i blew an ignition fuse and after i replaced it i noticed that my car sounds a lot different then it did before but only in vtec, it sounds way louder and has just a crisper sound to it. The main thing is, its slower in vtec. Right up until 5 700 rpm it feels the same as it always did. But in vtec it feels a lot less powerless but screams louder. I also HAD a bit of a missfireing problem. I took it to acura and they told me that someone had been playing with the ignition timing and they set it back to 16. NOBODY HAS TOUCHED my ignition timing, i know that for a fact. And my car is still has the problem of being louder and no power in vtec, all that adjusting the ignition timing did was get rid of my small missfire problem. The main problem was not fixed. thanks for any help.
-chris

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW stock type R motor.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
unless you undid the cam gear bolts and did not use Honda torque down specs, there is no reason for them to slip.

the question is why was the fuse blown? are you using a stereo amplifier?

misfiring can be due to fouled plugs or a malfunctioning coil or alternator or detonation (bad gas or advanced timing).

what mods have you done to the car?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had new bottom end put in at the beging of summer so my motor is pure stock. Nobody had touched the cam gears or ignition timing. I have no idea why it was missfireing i had the missfireing problem before. I then changed my plugs and the problem would temperarely go away. I then changed gas and havent had the missfireing problem since. But i have no idea whats wrong with my car. I was just going down the road after my last pass at the dragstrip and my motor shut off on the highway. I checked my fuses and it was a distributor fuse. Ever since then it has sounded and felt completely untuned in Vtec. Im so frustrated and really need help finding out whats wrong. thanks
-chris

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh sorry no i do not have any stereo equipment at all. I did have 2 wires sitting there that were conected to a shift light that i should have removed so maybe that could have been it?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
if it's not the plugs and wires (short) that are responsible for the misfiring, then have the distributor inspected. The Honda distributors (internal coil) are the weakest part in the Honda lineup. It's one area Honda dropped the ball on. (Igniter, rotor, etc. inspected). Which fuse did you blow (number and amp)?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
ITR21 on Sep/17/02 said:
oh sorry no i do not have any stereo equipment at all. I did have 2 wires sitting there that were conected to a shift light that i should have removed so maybe that could have been it?
the shift light runs off a 12 volt pickup and the distributor....so take those off anyway...i don't think they are the issue but take them out of the equation by removing them.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Michael Delaney on Sep/17/02 said:
the only other areas where this can go wrong (not related to the fuse though) are the alternator (unlikely), battery (unlikely), water pump, timing belt, or improper cam install. My bet is on the distributor though.
but the question is would these things only cause a problem in vtec? i dont notice a problem before vtec and the problem isnt THAT bad its just a little louder and quite more powerless.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I didn't realize your "problem" was only in VTEC.

well as you know I'm not a big fan of butt dyno and audio assessments of performance, since I know they can fool you. But let's say for fun, your assessment is correct.

3 things that can cause misfiring at high engine speeds or a loss of power up top related to misfiring (assuming the plugs are not fouled):

If the guy retarded the spark timing, then you will have less power than you had before.

Since the intake cam is attached to the distributor, it can directly affect ignition timing without changing the actual distributor position. If the intake cam / cam gear was installed incorrectly and the cam was not at TDC for the zero marking, then it can affect the spark timing indirectly and falsely advance the spark timing.

You need to tune the engine. Running too rich or having excessive blow-by or compression loss through the valve seals will cause misfiring. At higher rpms the weaker spark will show up more since you have less recovery time in between sparks. Running too rich also makes the car have less power, especially in the upper rpms. Running too rich will also foul up the plugs with deposits over time. Retarding the spark timing will make the car run richer.

The timing belt is not loose...correct?

Take your car to DPE in Toronto and get Dave to do a baseline dyno run with an air:fuel ratio reading across the rpm range if you want to be accurate about it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so you think this is still a distributor problem? Right now as far as missfireing goes, my car is fine there is only one time when i notice a small missfire nothing bit and not when im accelerating. Thats when i let off the gas at cruising speeds it does like a single missfire. Im wondering if before i get my car dyno'd i should check things like my timing belt, i have not checked it yet.
-chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts