Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are Eagle H-Beam ESP rods I just ordered not too long ago, I was just getting ready to install the rods onto my crankshaft and took the bolts out thinking, wait, these don't look right...

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
MichaelDelaney on Mar/27/05 said:
ARP 2000 Pro-Series Wave-Loc

Honda 1.8L

Bolt Stretch 5/16 in. (8mm) 208-6001 0.0048-0.0052 in.$45
Bolt Stretch 3/8 in.(9mm) 208-6401 0.0075-0.0079 in. $95

http://www.arp-bolts.com/pages/products/pages/rodbolts/links/how_to.html

Quote: pdf file catalogue, p.29, ARP part # 208-6401, 9 mm ARP 2000 ProSeries Wave-Loc

1.) lube threads and nut flange face w/ provided ARP assy lube

2.) Recommended rod bolt stretch = .0075" - .0079" [preferred method]

Otherwise, torque to 40lb*ft (final). There should be a step-torque in there to like 20lb*ft first, then 40lb*ft. Loosen and re-torque. Do this a total of 3x to get sufficient rod bolt stretch.

0.321 in. = 8 mm

you got the old 8mm instead of the newer upgraded 9 mm rod bolts. Just tell your retailer. They should send you the 9 mm rod bolts.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, one more question, it wont distort anything (Going to a larger bolt) will it? As in would I have to get the big ends line honed again?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
why would you need it line honed?

for a new rod install, just change the rod bearings, recheck your rod bearing clearances, and torque to the proper stretch like you would had you put in the 8mm ones .

Fasteners oNLY hold properly when they have been stretched a specific amount (depending upon material and size). Basically, as you tighten the fastener you remove the elasticity of the fastener.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but "strong" fasteners will still be quite elastic at tensions (or "torques" as read on a torque wrench) that are ideal for weaker fasteners.

The bolt needs tension, not torsion, to take up it's elasticity. Which measurement relates directly to tension??? If you have a burr on a thread, the torque reading will not be accurate.

If you change lubricants on the threads, you will get different stretch values at the same torque. The oNLY way to know that you have properly obtained the needed amount of bolt tension on a rod bolt, is via stretch measurement.

The elasticity of the bolt will become VERY obvious when you use the stretch gauge. The first 50% of the stretch is amazingly easy to take out. The effort past that increases exponentially. The last 5% of the stretch will take a tremendously greater effort than what you will probably expect.

And remember that every time you stretch (tighten) a fastener, it work hardens, so the stretch and torque values will change.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MichaelDelaney on Feb/05/06 said:
why would you need it line honed?
Well I was thinking because I'm going from 28ft-lbs on the bolts to 43ft-lbs (So it claims on my spec sheet), it may distort the shape of the big end?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.