Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thoroughly pissed. I hate Hawaii's roads! Argh! (time to vent) if pics don't load, hit refresh a couple times

I was driving home last night, and hit a pothole.

It was unavoidable because it was in a 2 lane same direction tunnel, i was in the left lane and the pothole was on the passenger side of the left lane. I could have either swerved left and drove into the tunnel wall or swerve right and into the other lane where traffic was.

So i stop at the 7-11 to check on my passenger side b/c the pothole shook the whole friggin passenger side of my car although only the passenger front tire hit it. A quick inspection showed I lost my rim center cap. My rims were a present from family in japan, and are irreplaceable. Guess what i did next? I had a friend take me back onto the highway where the tunnel was and walked through the tunnel looking for my center cap, mind you its about 3am. So traffic was light but the tunnel still had this pathetic excuse for a curb/sidwalk. I was afraid a huge truck or even a car for that matter would fly by sucking me from the tunnel wall as i walked next to it into the road.

Anyway i found my center cap, i was just happy nobody ran over it and crunched it into oblivion.

on my drive home, i hear some sounds coming from that right front tire so decide to go get it checked out tomorrow (today). I hit the sack, pass out.

Now, since i don't have too much time on my hands i decide to go get my tires rotated and have a front suspension eval done at Sears Auto center. I would usually do the work myself but I am at a really hectic point with school and finishing up my BA in Psychology.

Since i like to watch when people work on my car for work i can't do I hanged out in the sears waiting room and also near the garage bay doors so i could watch the fellas touching my car. While i waited the sears auto rep first came up to me saying i had dented a rim. "great..." i go into the garage and check it out, i couldn't believe i didn't see it, it's plain as day.

Here's the pic: (look at where the tumor on the tire is...)

Then the rep goes away, and i go back to waiting. He comes back to tell me the top of my strut tower was damaged. I was pissed about the rim but not too bad over it. This news threw me over the top. So we go to check it out and this is what it looked like:

Good strut tower cap area (driver side):

Passenger side

And from all the hardware that goes on top of the tower cap, this is all i have left...

Argh! I'm so aggravated! Sears guys were trying to tell me its not too bad, just take it easy when driving till i fix it. I feel like "F*** that, i don't want to risk damaging it further."

I've got a dented rim, damaged shock assembly, missing hardware, (not going back into the tunnel for that stuff), "tumors" that developed on my tires over night, and no car to drive.

Good thing is my koni shock isn't leaking and i'm pretty sure it's not blown. But I have yet to start wrenching on the problem, so hell...there could be more crap i gotta deal with...

Thanks for tuning in to the "I'm Pretty Pissed Show" everybody...

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Sorry man, but it could be worse, you could have not only hit the pothole but then gone out of control and smashed into the wall..Nothing that cant be fixed. Pics don't work btw.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The same thing happened to me last year in me civic. I hit so hard on the passenger side that my cd player died. That gave me a chance to upgrade my struts, sucks you already did. Can't be all bad though living in Hawaii though. I'm in MI. The potholes are under snow and ice.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
no good at all, same thing happened with my konigs. i saw all the pics cause i properties and then put .orig.jpg at the end and saw the originals. thats pretty messed up it stripped our ur strut.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
will insurance cover me hitting a pothole? i never thought of that. I mean it's not all that bad but it really makes me want to forget about fixing up my car and just buying something i won't have to mess with. I just hate the hassles and headaches that go with the hobby.
btw, has anybody claimed something like this on insurance? I usually would do the work myself but i'm just so aggravated right now i don't care. if insurance will cover it then by all means i'm taking it to a shop.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, just talked to insurance, gonna get a call later today from an adjuster. just waiting to see what happens now.I really don't want to deal with this. argh...
now i'm considering letting her go and getting a car i won't be too tempted to fix up. having my teg is an awesome hobby but doesn't always make for the best daily driver.
...crap this sucks.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, the update: i reported it to my insurance co. I'm having a rep come later today to assess the damages. I might be at partial liability since it was a one car "accident." Depending on if the state assumes full liability. If state doesn't then i'm fighting it to the full extent b/c it was in a tunnel and was completely unavoidable.
also, a friend of mine hit the same pothole earlier today, and bent one of his rims...and he only bought them a week ago.
:::sigh::: i hate potholes.

·
Registered
611 Posts
dude, those pics look INSANE!!! I can't believe the shock assembly pic, I mean I keep looking at it over and over again and it seems unreal. Nuts, I tell you, nuts... You know whats funny, just a couple of days ago while I was looking up wheels that I'd like to buy in the future, I saw the picture of your car in your sig and your rims looked sick (aka tight, pimp, nice...), and I checked your profile to see if you had more pics and you did, so I saved your profile to my favorites and your cars pic on my hard drive (I hope you don't mind
) What kind of wheels are those anyway? And about ditching your teg, I feel you man, car problems are the worst, I hate having that burden on my shoulders when I have a problem and it seems like the end to the problem is so far far away. Well, I guess all I could say is keep your head up. I think you can have your wheel repaired instead of getting all new wheels, but I'm not sure, and next time, consider getting forged wheels, smaller diameter, and put a high profile tire on that sucker, yeah its less bling, but its also less headache.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks opeth. you should have saw my reaction to the shock assembly when i first checked it out.
I was like "what the...!?! where the hell did...!?! ahhh!!!"

I don't mind about the car pics, i save them too. "i actually got the full sized one's if you want. lol. The wheels are Enkei, 12 or RP,PR, somethings...they were a b-day present from my folks in japan.

Well, my insurance rep just left my house. He checked out my car and the preliminary damage assessment so far is around $400. This excludes the cost of the one rim, I guess Progressive is going to pay for a new rim...which i would gladly do instead of repairing but I can't buy these here, I haven't even seen these Enkei's in the US line! I don't mind getting the wheel repaired, if its possible. But it would be nice to get a new one.

I think after the repairs I'm going to put my ls mesh's back on since the roads here are crappy and they have more meatier tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts