Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey are they worth it? I'm thinking about getting a pack. Anyone notice a increase in power at all? spark? Thanks

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Not if you're stock. You need serious compression or forced induction to actually get anything out of them.

Import Builders did this dyno of Denso Iridiums vs Bosch Platinums. Even on a moderatly modified N/A car making over 200whp, barely any difference. I don't think you have to worry about spending the extra cash on iridiums for a stock 120whp non-vtec motor.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Is it really the salespeople? I would think the manufacturer's claims would put ideas into people's minds. Whenever I go into a "performance" shop no one ever says a word to me. And if I ask a question about something they give me some moron answer because they were too busy riding their Razor scooters and playing Playstation at the shop to actually learn anything about what they sell.

I think the thing to blame is ignorance. Why not believe some phony claims you see in a magazine? Advertising claims have to be true right? Of course they don't say for Iridiums that their claims are only true for F/I or big compression motors but oh well that's what happens when you don't research. Iridiums are there for those who need them, and for those that don't, they are free to still think that they do unless they care enough to actually do some research and treat their car seriously and not as some stupid toy.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Josh, you are absolutely right! well caveat emptor ...buyer beware....works for me!...

as Barnum says: there's a sucker born every minute.
Which really makes Barnum a complete asshole if you ask me. I'm not bashing all salespeople...I'm bashing the owners and ignorant salespeople who are willing to sell to a naiive buyer something they know that person does not need just to get a buck out of them. I'm bashing a guy like Barnum who gouges people knowingly. All I can hear is Emron echoing in the background. This sort of behaviour is getting called out in our society now. It's about time too. Look up the word fiduciary and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I got me a set from AH motorsport for 40 bucks, and I can tell you... they didnt feel a BIT different than my 30K stock platinums at the time. they felt like new plugs, then they got normalized just like any plug after about 500 miles.

I guess I was a sucker... hehe

on my latest R/R job I installed the same plug as the ITR in my GSR/ITR motor and I got all my parts at my dealership for 20% off. cost me about 22 bucks for my plugs. the car feels great. OEM plugs for me.

Greed is what this game is all about unfortunately. It is greed improperly applied that causes problems, like the greed applied in the way you describe. It is greed that makes us want 200whp in an Integra, it is greed that makes us want 1+G in a street car and braking that bulges your eyes from your skull.

Automotive Tuning as an art is born of Greed, unfortunately. It is our need to belong and improve what we have and share that knowledge with others. At least that is what it is about for me.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I cleaned up most of the off topic posts, since everything seams to be worked out and everyone is happy :)

Group hugs!

·
Registered
502 Posts
yah so i was going to buy new plugs for my gsr and went to the dealer to get NGK and they wanted 18 bucks each for platinum NGK which i guess is what a GSR is suposed to have so i decided to buy some NGK iridiums on ebay for 30 bucks for the set even tho they will perform the same as the platinum i would rather have bought iridium for $30 a set than bought the dealers $18 each platinum plugs

·
Registered
114 Posts
SurferX on Sep/02/02 said:
Not if you're stock. You need serious compression or forced induction to actually get anything out of them.

Import Builders did this dyno of Denso Iridiums vs Bosch Platinums. Even on a moderatly modified N/A car making over 200whp, barely any difference. I don't think you have to worry about spending the extra cash on iridiums for a stock 120whp non-vtec motor.
I thought you did not trust IB dynos?

here

·
Registered
264 Posts
Even if you might not see any performance gains with the Denso's, in my opinion they are just a better plug that most plugs out there. Most likely you are using Platinum plugs. With the Iridium plugs they are 8 times stronger than platinum and it is 6 times harder than platinum too. on top of this the melting point is 1,200 higher than platinum and it conducts electricity better too. So with all this taken in consideration it seems like the Denso's are just better don't matter what type of application you but them on.

When I look at all this, I see a longer lasting plug, since it is harder and stronger. It will give you better spark since the metal conducts better. And it will control detonation better too, since it has a higher melting point.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts