Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a 94' RS, I'm literally building(right now it's just a rolling chassis). The last owner, used it only for track racing. So he did major weight reduction, and cut out alot of stuff. one of the things he cut out was the support to bolt up the sunroof assembly. I have the sunroof assembly, but I don't really care for a sunroof. I need to get rid of the hole in the roof, cut out for the sunroof. I have tried talking to Tunerzimage about the carbon fiber roof caps, but I did not get a message back so I don't if still sells them. I was wondering though if I could get a sheet of metal and rolled out to match the roof and then weld in place. Has anyone else done this?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link, I saw his sale like 3 weeks ago but I was too late to order one. But has anyone deleted the sunroof with buying a carbon fiber roof cap, I would like to see if someone has done it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
yeah i'm pretty sure RS's had sunroofs too.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Moonrunner on Sep/16/07 said:
I'm building a 94' RS, I'm literally building(right now it's just a rolling chassis). The last owner, used it only for track racing. So he did major weight reduction, and cut out alot of stuff. one of the things he cut out was the support to bolt up the sunroof assembly. I have the sunroof assembly, but I don't really care for a sunroof. I need to get rid of the hole in the roof, cut out for the sunroof. I have tried talking to Tunerzimage about the carbon fiber roof caps, but I did not get a message back so I don't if still sells them. I was wondering though if I could get a sheet of metal and rolled out to match the roof and then weld in place. Has anyone else done this?
i actually have a carbon roof cap. in process of putting it on. but im debating on either to sell it or put it on, not sure yet.

·
Registered
747 Posts
What you can do is what they do to build race cars. Just get a new roof off a car that didn't come with a sunroof. Drill out the rivits that hold your stock roof in and then weld the new one on and have it painted. This is what they do to build cars from the ground up and put a nice cage in it.

I am going to eventually do this to my GSR that is getting going to be a track car.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Just because its an RS doesnt mean it dont have a sunroof. You guys know you can have the dealer special order stuff. Tell them exactly what you want, you will get it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
B20KidDA9 on Sep/16/07 said:
Just because its an RS doesnt mean it dont have a sunroof. You guys know you can have the dealer special order stuff. Tell them exactly what you want, you will get it.

hes right.

Not only that, it very likely could have been an after market install as well.

Stop arguing about if an RS had a moonroof or not, and try to help answer the original question!

Now that thats done;

Quote: [email protected] on Sep/16/07 What you can do is what they do to build race cars. Just get a new roof off a car that didn't come with a sunroof. Drill out the rivits that hold your stock roof in and then weld the new one on and have it painted. This is what they do to build cars from the ground up and put a nice cage in it.

I am going to eventually do this to my GSR that is getting going to be a track car.
to answer your question, the most complete and quality way to remove that sunroof, would be to drill and cut out the existing skin with the opening. Then, after you source a new roof skin from some place ( ie junkyard, or someones part-out ) you make sure the dimensions to the roof are still in spec, and then weld/body seam seal then replacement skin in place of the old one.

It will be a pain in the ass, and time consuming; but if it's what you want it will be worth it.

As for the CF moonroof inserts, I would bet they wont' work well as most of them need the factory "brackets" and tracks to help them attach. I am not certain of the inserts......

Good Luck.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[email protected] on Sep/16/07 said:
What you can do is what they do to build race cars. Just get a new roof off a car that didn't come with a sunroof. Drill out the rivits that hold your stock roof in and then weld the new one on and have it painted. This is what they do to build cars from the ground up and put a nice cage in it.

I thought about that, but would it make the body weaker? This car will car will be daily driven. As for paint, I'm not to worried because I'm already going to have the whole car painted. So you guys think it would be better to cut the roof and replace it with a another roof, rather than buying a carbon fiber roof cap?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
No It wont weaken it unless, you do a poor job of welding the new one in.

As for the roof cap, I AM NOT POSITIVE, but I'm thinking that since the moonroof brackets have been cut away, you would have no real way of attaching it to the rest of the car.

Try to get an install manual from a company that sells the roof caps, and look to see if you still have the mounting points for it on the car.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
jman95 on Sep/17/07 said:
my RS has a sun roof
it's also not an LS (which actually is the base model)

anyways
post up pics when you're done! i wanna see what route you take

what are you talking about?

RS = Regular Series
LS = Luxury Series
GS = Grand Series
GSR = Grand Series Racing
ITR = Integra Type Racing

SE, in the LS/GS trims simply stood for special edition.

Any trim COULD possibly have had a moonroof from the DEALER.

Now please don't bring up any more model discussions......just help him out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I say cut out the top and replace it with one that doesn't have a moonroof. Also... I know people think rs had no moonroof that's correct, but my old rs did, ofcourse dealer had to add it on. Anyways.. replacing your top is my opinion.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
you can do what i am planning on doing, i was either going to buy a new roof from a oem site online or find a rs with out a moon roof, and weld that in place of my gsr roof, reason for that is because i would like to retain the oem cross beams what ever you want to call them to keep the body from flexing as much as if i just put a cap on, also it lets you bolt up all the oem stuff like overhead lights and the factory headliner.

just my .02 cents,

plus i figured this would be the correct way of deleting my moonroof.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.