Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for months now I've been getting scratches on my CD's that seem to come from nowhere. My CD's go directly from my storage case to my deck and back. Whats worse is that they are the happening on the top of the CD where the data is stored, making them unrepairable (and as luck would have it, scratches always occur in my favorite songs). I've got the stock 97 deck still in. Is it possible that the decks recieving/ejecting system is causing these scratches?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I had one of those CD things that are supposed to fit around your visor. (Didn't fit right, was ugly anyway, so I shoved it in the gap b/t center console and passenger seat) It scratched up all my CDs, so I switched to a booklet kind of thing and it seems to be working fine right now. Make sure you don't have any sand in your carrying thing also. I guess it is possible for your deck to be scratching them though. Try burning a good CD that you could listen to for a week and keep it in there the whole time w/o taking it out once. Then after a week see if it's scratched.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Well, my friend's alpine 9815 scratched up a CD real well, so yeah, head units can damage CDs. And yeah...it's always on the song you like.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Take it from someone in the business. Scratches can be caused by just about anything, including your deck. Without actually seeing the scratch itself (maybe you could post a pic of an example), I can't say for sure how it happened. If it is a circular scratch, then it most likely came from the deck while the CD was playing. Any kind of straight line scratch happened either while the CD was being ejected or being put back into the storage case. Also the length, width, and deepness of the scratch can say a lot about where it came from.
A lot of times a little piece of sand or something can get stuck inside the deck. I've even heard of over time, road vibration can cause movement in the pieces of the player themselves to the point where they can protrude into the CD, especially on our stiff-riding modified cars. Also what commonly happens is that the storage case gets a little sandy or dirty somehow, and simply putting your CDs in and out of the envelope can scratch them (you do live in the middle of a desert).
It could be anything. Find out how it happened though. If you haven't cleaned your deck with a cleaner CD now would be a good time. Also buy some compressed air and blow out the inside of the deck. If you have any kind of multi-disc changer, blow that out too and check for any foreign objects or protrusions in that. The size and shapes of the scratches should be clues to where it happens, and look for similarities in the scratched CDs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts