Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i went to the dealership today to see about replacing my busted front lip (gsr). they said it would be 750 bucks with painting, install, etc. Im gonna ask around local import body shotps tommorow, but im not confident anyone but acura can really match the paint right(supersonic blue), anyways, i know this price is high, just wanted to see if any of the street-savy TI guys had any suggestions thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey with 750 I would get a buddy kit and paint. But not only the dealer can match the paint. on your door when you open it there is the code for the paint. I wanted the sunroof button for mine and the two speaker covers for the back. button-$52 speaker cover-$28. I'll just look around.

·
Registered
518 Posts
talk about a ripoff, any good paint place wont only match the color number but they will also match that to your car, for example if your car was slightly faded they could match it exactly. just ask around your area for a decent shop and buy the bumper of the net.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
screw the dealer - definately just take it to a nice panit shop - they wanted over a grand to get a new hood, install it and paint it for my sisters 98 LS - someone jumped on her hood - dented it and cracked the paint.
I found her one off of thepartstrader.com for 150 shipped and i put it on myself!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Don't take it to them for that price. Go find a good body shop. I too have an SSBP teg, and I had a friend of mine paint my rear bumper, and he had no problem matching the paint. All he needed was the paint code.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yeah definetly find someone else. This dealer's deal sounds fairly crappy.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
There are different quality paint jobs and different quality paints. From what I have been told, you won't be able to get the exact same paint Honda uses in manufacturing in Japan here in the U.S. The two Acura-recommended shops I went to both use DuPont paint and match it to Honda's colors. If you go to a shop with experience in Honda products, you have the best chance of getting a good match.

If you want a good paint job, check on the type of spray booth they use (downward spray is what you want) and make sure they will clearcoat it for you.

Also for your info. a new bumper primed will run almost $400. (That's the price for the rear bumper.)

·
Registered
461 Posts
don't always rely on dealer recomended shops. i went to a shop that was partnered with the acura dealer and they told me that all they do is take paint swabs and hold it nest to the car to see which matches better. the best thing to do for matching is find a shop that has a color matching maching where they have a scanner that they hold up to your paint and it tells them what they have to do to match the paint exactly. just do a little research and ask people that got work done to see their cars.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
You're right about the scanner for a color match. I just want to make sure the shop is experienced with Acura's too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts