Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am just poking around to see what exists out there for GSRs and i found this one

so i click on the "black book" link and get this result

lol, i find it comical that there is a link right there on the page to tell a person that "this car is worth a few thousand dollars less than we want you to pay"... argg.. i REALLY hate dealerships...

its amazing how few GSR's are out there for sale..... and i think "Used Type R" is about as rare as a mermaid or unicorn

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
i can belive with 40 somthing K on it its going for 18. ya know what, all though it is rediculous, how much you wanna bet that the dealer sells it for that.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I got my 99 Gs (show room) brand new with 0k I got it out of the door for $17,000 flat all taxes included and a couple of option like mud flaps, wheel locks it took me about a month to talk him down. The Yellow Type R was selling at $31,000 they sold that one for $29,000 I dont know if the taxes are included or not.

·
Registered
240 Posts
these statements come to mind:

"what the market will bear"

"something is only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay for it"

i guess this is why they feel like they can charge more, because they'll probably get it, or will only get talked down to the retail, maybe...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
do you guys think i payed too much for mine, i paid 13,500 three years ago for a 94 gsr with 90k miles. i didn't care back then it was a gs-r and was clean.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
I agree with swift, but some dealerships are also just very mean.

The dealership I bought my integra from, really gave me a pretty crappy deal when it came to trading my old car in towards my integra.

Not only did my old car have much better features than the stock RS I bought (15" alloy rims, cruise, sunroof, quattro awd system, leather, abs, audi name, etc), and it it could sell for ALOT more (the RS was 8k, vs the 10 - 11k they could sell the audi), I still ended up paying them $500 for the teg.

But in the end I don't mind, since I was more than done with that car and didn't mind the poor deal just to get a teg and have it over.

So yeah, I guess my point is dealership can be very greedy, and can afford to be because most people won't go anywhere else regardless of the bad service and prices.

·
Registered
240 Posts
the bottom line is this... trading in your car, as opposed to selling it to an individual, is just WAY more convenient... not to mention, less likely to end up in a courtroom... so people consider it a very viable option, even though it is a "ripoff"

dealerships make money by buying and selling cars... every trade they make, they turn a profit... sometimes a lot of that is used to make the car that was traded in more presentable or more mechanically sound if need be...

i'm not trying to defend these guys too far, though... because when they gouge, they gouge for as much as they can... but hey, we live in a capitalistic society, so this is what we should expect...

·
Registered
204 Posts
You got a pretty fair deal Dan. I think I got the ultimate deal though. I bought my '98 GSR in Nov. of 2001 w/only 47k for only $12,700. Guess where I found it.....EBAY!! The guy tried selling it and no-one had bid so I gave him a call and we worked outside of ebay. He had to sell the car b/c he ordered a new Nissan Maxima and needed the cash for his down payment I guess. He even drove it to me from Ohio at no additional charge (I live in Wichita, KS). I did try selling my car a few months ago, but decided to keep it.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
swiftllamagone on Aug/06/02 said:
because when they gouge, they gouge for as much as they can... but hey, we live in a capitalistic society, so this is what we should expect...
This reminds me of a story about gouging that my professor once told me that I thought was really good. So pardon me for a second while I tell it;

He was vacationing in Florida one time and he was traveling home to the motel on a local highway. After he got to the motel, he went to sleep for the night. He awoke the next morning and turned on the TV to listen to the news. They said that a tornado passed right through the region that he was traveling about 10 minutes after he was there. They had set up a hotline for people to report instances of price gouging. Often people try to take advantage of natural disasters by jacking up their prices because they KNOW their services are a necessity.

He decided to call this hotline. The woman picked up and he said he'd like to report a case of price gouging. The woman said 'ok sir, where was this case at.' He prceeded to tell the woman that he can buy a 16 ounce bottle of coke for a dollar at a gas station but has to pay 4.00 for it inside Disney world. The lady told him that "this is not the type of price gouging that we are talking about." And he asked if some types of price gouging are acceptable, but others are not.

I guess dealers can price gouge just as bad as Disney World. Ever go to a baseball game and pay 5.00 for a hot dog? It's horrible. Until it gets fixed, though, expect our favorite car to be price gouged by just about every dealership.

Sorry for the ramble but I thought that story was really good.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
well since this has gotten a little ot id like to reply to one of swifts comments with some of my own personal views. you state that hey, this is what we should expect we live in a capatilistic society. i think this type of statment is an excuse and used way, way, too much. comments like this are said all the time"well thats the way it is". ya know what just because thats the way it is doesnt make it right. capatilism is great, lol im not saying i dont believe in it, but there is also a point when people need to look at whats going on and not just pass it off with an excuse and look at the right thing to do.
For instance: Cedar Point tells people to be very careful because it is hot and people should drink plenty of liquids so they dont have a heat stroke or somethin like that.They say they will have golf cart ambulances going around all the time to insure everyones saftey. Well heres the good part, they have only one waterfountain in the whole park. you are not allowed to bring any drinks in with you, and a cup of water costs as much as pop. a 20 oz bottle is 3 dollars. This is just criminal i think. its a 100 degree day and people are forced to spend 30 dollars on water for a 4 person family just so they dont pass out. Just so the owners can make a couple more million a year.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i never said capitalism was great... but its our reality here... truth be known, i'm not fond of it at all... but here's how it works:

if no one bought water for $3 a bottle, guess what... the price would go down... i know its criminal, but obviously some people are willing to pay for it... and as long as they do, the price will stay the same... its simple economics... supply and demand... they have you by the gonads while you're on their property... just like movie theaters and airports... the only way to get the price down is to decrease demand or increase supply... so decrease demand by not purchasing their overpriced stuff, and increase supply by sneaking bottled water in... hehe

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
i know what your sayin and i complelty agree with you. i wasnt trying to make it out that this is the way you think. i know that "they" have us by the gonads. all im sayin is that "they" should hav some gonads to do things the right way too. its seems like now that all morals have gone out the window of most businesses. and this has been accepted as being O.K. because its always just said "thats the way it is". i dont know i guess i just have a problem with big business screwing over the average hard working american just because they can. just like z showed that they have the real value of the car right next to the price. they actually show you that their ripping you off, but because they are so few used gsrs for sale, they can rip you off instead of doing the right thing and selling it for what its worth.

·
Registered
240 Posts
ahh... big business... i'm not sure if there is anything more evil and soulless in existence... its all about the benjamins, baby...

the worst part about it is that a lot of the profits do not go back into the company or community, but get absorbed by the upper execs...

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
BLEGH, why is this post making me more and more mad???? Stupid upper execs, of course if I'm ever one of those upper execs, I will swiftly change my tune. (SHOW ME THE MoNEY!!! LOL)

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
i agree with swiftllamagone on that one... if you don't like it, don't buy it. if people just had things like willpower, then prices could go down...

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i never said i liked it or not, i was simply pointing out that it was funny that this dealer has a tool right on this display page to go see that they are overcharging by a few thousand dollars...

which seems to be the missed point to almost everyone who replied

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yeah, I suppose that the dealership wants you to know you are getting ripped off and there is nothing you can do about it.

Personally I prefer private party. I found my '99 GS-R about a year ago for around $16k with only 27,000 miles. I couldn't see paying $2k more for a '99 with 46,000 miles one year later, that is ridiculous.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts