Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering which people prefer more for repairs/service,Local Dealer or Local Independent Shop?
I guess I prefer smaller shops because they tend to be cheaper and I feel like I have more control of what they are doing to my teg,but thats my opinion. Which do you prefer?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I think both. I usally go to the dealer for oil changes, cuz they use high quality mobil 1 oil and oem oil filter and the customer service is good. Also since the technicians only work on Acura cars, they know there way around the car and know the common problems and etc and they know how to fix it well, plus they use high quality oem parts. But also local shops are cheaper if you got some major works to do but I don't know if I would trust them much.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I go to a local shop for things I can't & don't have the time to do. Keep in mind it is better to keep one mechanic that knows your car well & you trust than to shop around everytime you need something done. A good honest mechanic is very hard to find.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
95_SE on Aug/22/02 said:
I trust myself!
hahahahaha

I prefer local performance shops if i know them or hear good things about them to do some of my work. Never will i go to a shop that i haven't heard anything about...bad memories
. Dealers are great but i don't like their high prices so i rather do the work myself if i can or bring it to someone i trust in a local performance shop. Certain things like valve adjustments....i'll bring to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
14,185 Posts
I prefer dealership if I cant do it, if you use them for stuff they send you coupons that bring the prices down to the same as everybody else.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Really depends on what is being done

·
Registered
78 Posts
i prefer the dealership, they work on acuras all the time..so they know their shiznit...

i told my friend that i went to get the major maintenance done and he said "dude, you should of gone to my friends shop, he would of done it for cheap." then i thought to myself, "hellz no". he takes his car into an independent shop and his car don't sound good. I always take my car into the dealer and it's still like new. IMO, they take care of it better.

...but i'll do oil changes myself

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
DIY for as much as possible. I happen to know an honest, talented mechanic that would be willing to help me with just about any project for a fair price since he is a friend of the family. I would only take my Teg to the dealership for recalls or warranty work.

·
Registered
569 Posts
But you got to think about this if you take it into an import shop they work on mostly civics, integra, and eclipse. This is what I'm thinking top 3 modded cars. If i was working on a car i would always treat it like my own. Why do you think just cause they are cheap they miss with your car. Do hurt the local shop cause i plan on working for them more then a dealership just cause they "fix" more then rebuild and making it powerful, now thats the fun in working in auto.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
95integra on Aug/22/02 said:
But you got to think about this if you take it into an import shop they work on mostly civics, integra, and eclipse. This is what I'm thinking top 3 modded cars. If i was working on a car i would always treat it like my own. Why do you think just cause they are cheap they miss with your car. Do hurt the local shop cause i plan on working for them more then a dealership just cause they "fix" more then rebuild and making it powerful, now thats the fun in working in auto.
That's true, local shops are good but like i said, i rather know the person or hear good things before i take my teg there. I know someone who came from a Honda performance shop to have his own local shop. He's what i would call a great person to bring my teg to b/c i know his background plus he's been working for Honda for about 3 years...i think he knows his stuff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
for aftermarket mods i wouldn't take it to the dealer.

i think customer service at a dealership is much better than an independent shop, IMO. i had my lights rigged up on my JDM front end by an independent shop, turns out that they didn't do a good job at it. i took my car in, for other reasons, and they cleaned up the electrical work done by the independent shop.

i know if i took it back to that other shop, they would of bliAtched about it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
most mantaince done myself unless its something really serious and i dont have the equipment i will go to the dealer (still under warrenty)

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I take it to my mechanic for service and for High performance stuff I take it to my freinds shop. if anything is under warrenty I take it to the dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts