Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it happened...She is DEAD ! Yup D.E.A.D. ! Blown head gasket ! This on 6psi and hours after adding the Edelbrock Victor X Intake Manifold. She just could not take it anymore. And I was not even racing or getting on it period ! Just goes to show ya...110k miles, stock head gasket less than 3 weeks old after going LS/VTEC !
Normal driving ...DEAD !

I can't help but think we just missed something somewhere but oh well...She is getting a NEW BUILT bottom with my LS block with Eagle Rods and JE Pistons and YEP you guessed it ...A NEW THICK as black butts,<--Not a aftermarket brand) HEAD-GASKET ! Lower that compression even more.

Where I think we went partially wrong was not running a VTEC oil pump ! No idea why that would cause a head-gasket to blow... And ideas guys ? Rememeber this is a LS/VTEC/TURBO with a head gasket that was less than 3 weeks old !

I can't help but STRESS the need to build your internals.
I have now just come to the conclusion that its just plain nutty NOT too ! After 2 LS heads, one with 2 smoked valves. one head we destroyed by breaking a bolt from the turbo manifold in the head.) I am just about FED up ! Now on a B16A head which I think I may as well BUILD as well !

I know their are guys here who don't build em up and that's fine.
I want you all to learn from my mistakes.
I have always posted my problems here without hesitation so that I can share at least, what NOT to do an better serve my fellow Teggers.....

May we have a moment of silence please....

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
sorry to hear that boostcontrol. that really sucks and sorry to see such a beast get laid to rest. heres your moment...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Ouch man, sounds like it was a badass car! Well it cant get any worse, now its going to be rebuilt and faster than ever. Just sux to have the down time!! i know how you feel. Sorry....

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yep..all the TI flags are at half-mast this morning..

It's ok though..I am going up to the shop in the morning so I will pet her for you Buck.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
My condolenses. The Car Gods Giveth, and the Car Gods taketh away. Here's a BOV sound in your honor.

Good luck on the rebuild.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Oh man, its always the best of us that go...

Man, that on 6 PSI, I guess all of us who are saying "dont worry, just keep it under 7" gotta rethink.

·
Registered
166 Posts
OEM head gasket and OEM headbolts...yup that will do it.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
That sucks, I have about 6000 miles on my lsvtec rebuilt; I do have an itr water pump and oil pump though, and arp bolts across the board on my lsvtec rebuilt,oh well, good luck with your next project, and donnnn't be cheap next time...

·
Registered
413 Posts
All motor my a$$!!

You have just the same amount of risk with N/A going to those hp levels with stock internals on a LS as you have with turbo. Please don't start....we have been over this way too many times.

Also if you read CLOSELY you will see that all he did was blow a head gasket not the entire motor. BoostC just decided that it's time to take the worry out and build the block.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ati2ude on Aug/04/02 said:
OEM head gasket and OEM headbolts...yup that will do it.
Kinda funny...Kenny Tran AKA "Jet Li" Mr.Pro Hot Rod Class Drag Racer himself....and MANY others in that class...Run STOCK headgaskets with 25-35 psi and 600-800hp motors ! Kinda makes ya wonder huh...

·
Registered
645 Posts
hey if you dont mind telling me i'm doing the same but what was your compression ration on the ls vtec motor.please let me know asap so i know what to do before i install mine. thank you

·
Registered
166 Posts
BoostControl on Aug/05/02 said:
Quote: ati2ude on Aug/04/02OEM head gasket and OEM headbolts...yup that will do it. Kinda funny...Kenny Tran AKA "Jet Li" Mr.Pro Hot Rod Class Drag Racer himself....and MANY others in that class...Run STOCK headgaskets with 25-35 psi and 600-800hp motors ! Kinda makes ya wonder huh...
I doubt it

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
ati2ude on Aug/05/02 said:
Quote: BoostControl on Aug/05/02Quote: ati2ude on Aug/04/02OEM head gasket and OEM headbolts...yup that will do it. Kinda funny...Kenny Tran AKA "Jet Li" Mr.Pro Hot Rod Class Drag Racer himself....and MANY others in that class...Run STOCK headgaskets with 25-35 psi and 600-800hp motors ! Kinda makes ya wonder huh...

I doubt it

Sure

How often does he rebuild his engine?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I doubt it !

Yeah well...He does ! I hate to bust your ego , but alot of Pros like Kenny run stock headgaskets ! So do alot of street peeps ! It's not crucial that you run a thicker headgasket for a Turbo setup.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
one word for you....O-ringing.
Okay it is a hyphenated word. seriously consider o-ringing your block, if you are spending the $$ on building it up anyways. If you don't know what it is then..
Basically the machinist etches a groove around your cylinders and squeezes in a thin copper wire. this wire sticks up a few microns and "bites" into the head gasket.

·
Registered
166 Posts
BoostControl on Aug/06/02 said:
I doubt it !

Yeah well...He does ! I hate to bust your ego , but alot of Pros like Kenny run stock headgaskets ! So do alot of street peeps ! It's not crucial that you run a thicker headgasket for a Turbo setup.
Yeah he may run a oem head gasket but he has the motor rebuilt ALOT more often than you will ever. Think about it... why would they make Hi-po head gaskets and head bolts in the first place? Ummm so they will last longer than a OEM! Don't mean to bash you but, lets use some common knowledge. Why in the hell would you build a daily driven, turbo charged motor without adding the easy extras while you have it apart???? Like a better head gasket and better head bolts like ARP or something?
Do you re-use cotter pins too? How about condoms?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts