1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor teg won't start. I can't seem to pinpoint
where the problem is. My question is: Is it possible
to have enough power to run the headlights and CD
player but not have enough to turn the engine over?

Both oil and battery lights on the dash come on
as normal, but no others. All fluid levels are
fine, no leaks. Alternator belt is turning over
fine. No unusual noises from anywhere. I have yet
to remove the valve cover and check the timing belt.
I'm in the process of changing the plugs and wires.
I was told from the sound of everything, it doesn't
seem to be my starter..?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I just finished changing the plugs. Everything
went well there with the exception of the wires.
I bought OEM premium wires from Pepboys ($39.99).
The wires weren't seating on the plug like the
original wires so I automatically thought there was
no use in testing them if they weren't seated correctly.

Car still doesn't start, I think I may try jumping
the battery next.

·
Registered
119 Posts
if the battery is strong enough to spin the engine, then you either have no spark delivery or no fuel delivery. pull any plugwire and crank engine to see if you have spark. if you don't get an arc, then it's ignition related(coil, igniter, etc.) you could spray a small shot of ether(starting fluid)in intake to see if car fires, then stalls. if that happens, then it's fuel delivery(fuel pump,clogged filter, etc.) you don't have to pull valve cover to check timing belt, just pull the distributor cap, if rotor doesn't spin when you crank engine, that would be a good indication....

·
Registered
119 Posts
you just need to see if the engine is getting fuel. spraying ether would be one way....yeah, just open up your air filter and spray a little shot up intake pipe while cranking engine, if it fires then stalls, you'll know you're not getting gas for some reason. did you make sure you have spark?

·
Registered
935 Posts
I would check for spark first. Take your plug wires off your distributor (except for the test wire) and make sure you mark them to go back on correctly with some white-out or whatever. Take a metal wire and tie it to the engine ground wire that goes on your valve cover and take the other end of the wire and tie it around the spark plug threads to ground out the spark plug. Have someone turn the engine over and see if you have spark on that one spark plug hooked up to the distributor. If its not that consider your timing belt before going into fuel related problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.