Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a quick question about headers....i was wondering.....upon installing a set of headers into my GSR which already has intake and exhaust in it....will it make the engine sound any louder/meaner......will vtec be a bit louder now that i have headers installed along with the intake and exhaust system....????

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here we go again with, "What will my car sound like if..." It's not about sound, you know. Especially in the performance forum.

·
Registered
743 Posts
mine sounded deeper. I didnt notice any difference in volume. As far as vtec, I have an rs, so im no help there.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I agree with Silverbullet, it's not about sound and looks... but that's only for some people. If sunshinecar wants a semi-fast car that looks good and sounds agressive, then that's his/her opinion. As far as an answer to the question goes, I really couldn't say, but I don't think it will "sound and louder/meaner"

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Silverbullet on Sep/17/02 said:
Here we go again with, "What will my car sound like if..." It's not about sound, you know. Especially in the performance forum.
give the guy a break. its just a question. he probably bought the header for performance reasons but the thought ran through his head and decided to ask.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
95SilverBullet on Sep/17/02 said:
if u buy a set, ill buy the leftover...
LMAO....

I will tell you with my experience, yes the Header WILL make the car louder. When I had my DC 4-1 with the Tanabe RM, when vtec kicked in, DAMN!! It was an amazing difference in sound. it sounded sooooo good, cant wait to get my new header.

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
I dont think hes buying it for the sound I think hes just curious.

It may change slightly,but barely noticable.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I think the differences in sound with a header replacement are in most people's heads. You know a DC header is the same size as the stock header, there's not much in the way of changing the sound. If you get a JDM 2.5" header I could see the sound changing but with a regular 2.0" USDM stock replacement it's just not going to happen. It's like the butt dyno, you will usually just sense what you want to sense, I believe there was a whole scientific research study on the subject too.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Gonna dissagree with you SurferX, they sound totally different DC vs Stock. the DC has better flow, thats why we are replacing the OEM manifold correct? The DC is not made of cast iron. Alot of the sound difference is actually IN the engine bay, not out of the exhaust itself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just got a DC header and u kno what it didnt really change much if anything it made it sound more powerful,I have a intake and exhaust also

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The DC has a better shape, other than that it's the same size as the stock manifold. It doesn't have any more flow capacity than the stock header does. I've installed headers on 6 Integras, never a change in sound. Even on my own Integra when I had the DC JDM and Carsound cat the difference in noise was so slight it was barely noticable and that was with a much larger header and cat in the system. I've just never ever heard any type of noise increase myself that was a result of a stock sized header upgrade. But that's just my experience, take it how you will.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The header did increase a bit of sound for me, especially in the midrange. I dont know why people are responding to a question without answering it. If your not going to answer somones question then dont reply and try to make the guy feel dumb. He was just curious.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
IntegraVTEC707 on Sep/17/02 said:
The header did increase a bit of sound for me, especially in the midrange. I dont know why people are responding to a question without answering it. If your not going to answer somones question then dont reply and try to make the guy feel dumb. He was just curious.
The question was answered, there were just 2 different answers and now we are discussing it. This will allow anyone who has installed the DC 4-1 header give their opinion on increased noise.

·
Registered
186 Posts
SurferX on Sep/17/02 said:
I think the differences in sound with a header replacement are in most people's heads. You know a DC header is the same size as the stock header, there's not much in the way of changing the sound. If you get a JDM 2.5" header I could see the sound changing but with a regular 2.0" USDM stock replacement it's just not going to happen. It's like the butt dyno, you will usually just sense what you want to sense, I believe there was a whole scientific research study on the subject too.
mine sounds more raspy at very high rpms.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you to those who respected my question...you guys were rite...i am planning on buying it for performance reasons and was just curious.....and like one of you guys said..."it was just a question"....so thanks...it was just a question....just curious...thats all....i dont know why some people get all a$$ hurt about it....

but any how....if the DC header and the stock exhaust manifold are the same design like someone mentioned....does that mean the DC header is not worth getting...???? since it has the same flow capacity as the stock....?? i thought dyno's show'd they give some hp...maybe not a lot...but some....am i missing something here...???

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
It's the shape of the header that makes it better. The stock header is not a "bottleneck" rather it is just not designed to extract exhaust gasses as efficiently as a header like the DC would. A good header is designed to "pull" exhaust gasses out of the combustion chamber. The size of the collector is only one of many design considerations.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=2

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have 4-2-1 DC headers on integra and i had them on with stock intake and exhaust at first. It is definitely going to be louder, no matter what, but most importantly.. you're working your piping to get more torque, i would think. From what I heard... the inside of the headers and the diameter of the inside of the headers is what differs between the stock and DC headers. Plus aftermarket look nicer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts