Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently trying to remove my old dashboard and put in a new one in my 95 RS. Im just wandering if anyone has done this before and how you guys handled the air bags, i know they wont just explode for no reason but you can never be too safe. If you have any tips or any directions it would help. Thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
when taking out the passenger airbag, there is a safety connector for the yellow power wire to plug into. This will not let the airbad accidently delpoy itself. You dont have to even touch the steering wheel, but there are 2 Nuts underneath the steering column which could be removed and lower the sterring column, which will help in the aid of removing the dashboard. Where removing the switches (dimmer/sunroof, etc.) i would label them if your very forgetful. The whole process should take like 1 hour for the 1st timer, or less than 30 minutes if you've done this before.

-GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in the manual, i see a diagram of the passenger air bag wirign, it shows that it has 1 wire going into the main unit i guess, should i disconnect that wire or should i just leave it cause disconnecting the battery will be enough??

integr97:
what do you mean remove the 2 nuts to lower the steering wheel column? cant you just do that by pulling on the lever? or does it lower even more when u remove the 2 nuts.

"there is a safety connector for the yellow power wire to plug into. This will not let the airbad accidently delpoy itself"
So do i need to do anything to that yellow power wire or plus or anything or just leave it as it is??

THanks

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Removing the dash is pretty straightforward. If you are going to use the same wiring harness on the new dash, I would put it on the new dash first and tighten all the way in as much as possible...you will need it especially when putting back in the climate control...if it snags, getting airmix wire to clip back in the climate control will be a PITA...

Label your wires with a sharpie so you have an idea of where they go back to and how much you will need to pull through the dash. ( Pull the clock plug through the whole and tape down so it won't fall through.)

Take special care when removing the sunroof vent (You have an RS, so not sure if this appplies.) Very easy to break.

Wrap a flathead screwdriver in tape before prying anything off.

When removing the bolt near the windshield (behind the clock), wrap the socket wrench in a towel so you don't crack your windshield.

Although you don't need to remove the steering wheel, it makes the job a little easier if you do. (Much easier to pull off and put on.)

Take your time...don't get frustrated and start to want to yank stuff...hopefully when your done you can pose like me

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dashboard Removal/Installation
Heres a step-by-step writeup on it's removal.

Instrument Panel, Dashboard Lower Cover, Knee Bolster removal:
1. Lower the steering column.
2. Remove the 2 screws holding the Instrument Panel (plastic around the gauges).
3. Remove the Coin Pocket.
4. Remove the 2 screws and 2 clips from the Lower Dashboard Cover. (plastic piece under the steering column)
5. Remove the Knee Bolster (metal plate behind the Lower Dashboard Cover)

Stereo Radio/Cassette, Heater Control Panel removal:
1. First remove the Front & Rear Center Console.
2. Loosen the 2 10mm bolts behind the radio, then pull it straight out. Be sure to remove the wires to the radio and the antenna lead wire also.
3. Carefully pry the Hazard Warning switch and Rear Window Defogger switches out of the heater control panel, and disconnect their connectors.
4. Remove the 2 screws from the Heater Control Panel, and behind there are two clips to remove (wire harness clip & connector clip)
5. Disconnect the air mix control cable from the heater control unit.
6. Pull the heater control panel out, then disconnect it's connectors.

Drivers Side Air Vent removal:
1. Pry the moonroof switch out of the side air vent, then disconnect it's connector.
2. Then remove the screw next to the side air vent, then remove it. (also held by 4 clips)

Passenger Air Vent removal:
1. Pry out the vent from the bottom (3 clips holding this in place)

Clock Removal:
1. Carefully pry the clock out from the left edge, then pull it out. Disconnect its connector.

Glove Box Removal:
1. Open the Glove Box.
2. Remove the screw form the damper, then remove the damper itself from the glove box.
3. Remove the 2 bolts from underneath the glove box, then remove the glove box.
4. Remove the damper (1 nut)
5. Remove the Glove Box striker latch (2 screws)

Dashboard Replacement:
1. lower the steering column by removing the 2 nuts (located near the steering height adjuster)
2. Remove the 4 nuts from under the Passenger Airbag bracket.
3. Disconnet the 4 connectors from the dashbaord which plug directly to the under-dash fuse/relay box.
4. Remove the access panels from both side of the dashboard (in between the door and dashboard, which are held in by clips)
5. Remove the 6 dashboard bolts, then lift and remove the dashboard.
(FINAL BOLT LOCATIoNS)
2 on each side of the dashboard, 1 where the clock was, and 1 underneath where the radio was. There should be a total of 6, and they all look the same.

HAVE FUN, HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I had fun removing mine... easy enough i would say.. since i did it by myself with no1's help... just took a while coz of the dam alarm wires... you should do a search.. there was plenty of thread on this issue.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, i finally finished installing my new dashboard today and i just wanna thanks all u guys for giving me tips and directions on how to do it. I hope i never ever have to do it again becaus its a very time consuming process for me because the actually dash was easy to take off but then puttin stuff back correctly was such a pain, specaially the climate control. But anyways, thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jason what are you talkign bout dude, all i did for pass air bag was disconnect the yellow wire then when i removed the whole dash, i sparated the air bag from the dash, it was holding on to dash by like 2 bolts
pretty easy to get out?? Are GSR's different?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry for bringing this thread back to ife. But I am trying to get my dash out. and I have all the bolts out etc... and it moves but there seems to be wires clipped to the dash all over that are prventing me from moving it. I have the Helms and it says to just unplug from the Fuse box and you are good to go. So am I missing something or do I have to remove all the clips? I also have an alarm installed so that might be part of the issue.

Jon

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
how many big bolts did you remove?
did you remove the center console, ac vents and a/c cluster thing, speedometer, and glove box?
also you have to make sure to unplug all of the wires, to the left of the dashboard there are like 4 big plugs you have to get out and there are a ton of them to the middle and there's the one for the airbag to the right.
also be sure to unplug the SRS fuse so you don't get a SRS light when u replug everything

·
Registered
249 Posts
I bought a black gsr dsh to put on my 99 ls. I believe the back of the gsr dash had all the wires intact? nothing cut. When the original dash is removed, is it just plug and play with the new dash? By the way it's a 94 gsr dash going into a 99 ls so will there be any difference in the wire harnesses? I just want to see what i'll be getting into before i have the dash out. Thanks in advance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.