Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on building a 500whp dart b20 vtec turbo engine. What would be a better r/s ratio for my turbo setup? Standard 89mm crank with 3.504" stroke and 5.967" rod length or the 95mm stroker crank with a 3.740" stroke and a rod length of 5.531". Remember to dart b20 block has a extra tall deck height of 226mm (14.5mm taller than stock).

Parts list for turbo build

Dart b20+ block
Eagle lightweight crank(Std 89mm or strocker 95mm?)
ESP Eagle rods(length depending on stroke)
JE crv vtec 9.0:1 turbo pistons
Acl race bearings (Any good?)
Aem ems
Turbonetics gtk 500
full race proStreet ac t3/44 manifold
Full race ProStreet ac downpipe
Golden eagle vtec conversion
Arp bolts
Walbro 255 pump
RC 750cc injectors
Thermal reserch 3" exhaust

Thats just the meat of the bottom build

I already have

B18c5 head
Skunk2 pro1+ cams
skunk2 adjustable gears
skunk2 ti retainers
Skunk2 pro series springs
Skunk2 std. size valves
Skunk2 pro series intake manifold
Edelbrock fuel rail
Xtd lightweight flywheel
xtd 5 puck clutch
usdm type r tranny
on stock gsr block

Recommended fmic kit for 00 gsr w/ type r manifold?
Recommended turbo piston rings?
Recommended bov& wastgate?
std 89mm or 95mm stroker crank?
(Money is no option. The best parts are wanted)

Any helpful comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
There are a ton of parts out there and a ton of info on this thread about them. Im in the middle of a 500whp build myself, check it out for some ideas (link in the sig)

Look around a bit, do some research, and get a better idea about what your goals are, and then choose parts accordingly. Its a relief to see that youre willing to shell out the big bucks to do it right. Its definitely worth it.

Good Luck

·
Registered
479 Posts
if money was of no concern i would use an OEM honda LS crankshaft. then again i wouldnt even have a dart block if money was a concern. it looks like you havent gotten the block yet, i would consider just getting your GSR block sleeved and built VS the Dart block setup. KISS it my philosophy. benson or golden eagle do excellent sleeve work.

I, like many GTK owners have, would ditch the GTK for a Garrett turbo specifically the GT3076r.

i would use whatever rings came with the pistons(i prefer cp and wiseco but others are excellent).

Tial makes the best blow off valve and wastegate available on the market.

750cc injectors wont get you to 500whp. i would suggest at least 880cc injectors.

since you have a full-race manifold/downpipe i would figure it best to get a full-race intercooler and piping. unless you want to get the charge piping made locally. there is no "FMIC kit" that will just bolt up to every application.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have my heart set on the dart block. I dont think the dart block would cost much more than resleeving and blue printing my old block. Plus I like the advanteges of the long block for turbo.

750cc is max without a resistor box correct?

Ya, I think Im going with tial bov and wast gate

I'm also thinking the 95mm stroker crank would be better because it would use a rod length just over stock specs but Im not sure if longer rods would work out better with the 89mm standard crank.

Let me know what yall think and thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
From what I know, the dart block is about $2300, and machining it is an extremely involved and expensive process. Theres no real reason to get it over sleeving the block anyway, as it will save you several thousand dollars... The dart block is really unnecessary.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
the dart block is going to be over 1k more than any gsr block sleeved...remember it is completely bare...and a benson sleeved gsr block will be just as strong a b20 dart...and it was meant for the vtec head.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
^not really. If your car stops making power at 9k, but you can rev it to 11k, whats the use. Besides, thats all in the head anyway. Turbo motors really dont need to rev that high like their NA counterparts.

The dart block is a waste, just have your block sleeved. it will handle 500hp on a good tune all night long. something else will go before the sleeves do.

You also dont need to stroke the motor. The stock crank will be fine, but in my setup, im using the Eagle 4340, which i love so far, but its not really necessary. Again, not a fan of the 750ccs, Im just waiting for mine to go, but if i could do it again, thats the one thing i would do differently.

And im definitely with mike on the TIAL wastegate/BOV, as well as the full race FMIC/charge pipes. You will have an easier time lining things up, probably less cutting/welding. And i definitely agree on losing that turbo. Depending on what youre looking for, a GT3076R would be prefect, but if youre looking to put down more power in the future and you dont mind loosing a bit of responsiveness, then step it up to the GT35R.

As far as that tranny goes, go GSR with a quaife diff. The gearing on the ITR tranny is waaay too short. you need them nice and long

Good luck

DP

·
Registered
479 Posts
blackakgsr on Oct/01/07 said:
I have my heart set on the dart block.
lets start thinking with your brain here on this one instead of your heart. hopes, dreams, and love arent enough to make 500whp in a b series.

yes 750cc is the largest you can go without using a resistor box, so you are going to need a resistor box, they are cheap and easy to install.

the dart block is easily 2k+ with the machining. ive heard the blocks are pretty rough straight from the factory. a sleeved honda block is 800-1200 said and done. take the money and invest it in safety equipment for the car.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dam you guys are persuasive. Well you all made good points tho. Back to the drawling board. You guys picked apart my entire build. Im still going turbo and will open a new forum when I got a better idea of what I need. It was still good to hear your thoughts on my plans. I dont have any fi honda friends to give me advise so thanks for all your thoughts.

My entire build was based on the gtk 500 and the dart block

·
Registered
479 Posts
you have an excellent basis for the build. you want nothing but the best, and im trying to help you get that. im not trying to pick apart your build by any means, sorry if my being blunt made me out to look like an asshole.

my recommendations come from personal experience. ive seen a lot of what works and what doesnt. its not an end all so take it for what you think its worth.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I really think a dart block is over kill for 500whp that you want. You'd be just fine with a Sleeved block, Forged pistons, forged rods. Balanced rotating assembly, New oil pump, new water pump, ARP mains and head studs. and you would be set for plenty of power.

That and Toss the head you have on and go. Turbo wise,A GT30R would make the 500whp for you and have great spool up characteristic. If you want to leave room for upgrade, I'd recomend a GT35R. IF you want to save money an SC61 will make that kind of power also, just a little more lag.

Wastegate and BOV, Tial is the way to go.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike dont get me wrong, your advise was much appreciated.

I just heard that the b18a/b internals would fit in my gsr block with no problems. B18c long block? If thats true, Ill keep the gsr block. Can you guys confirm this info?

So the gt30r series for 500whp?
Any other turbos you think I should take a look at?
I want the middle ground. Fast spool and no boost drop off. Ill rev it till it gets me 500whp

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
why are you so set on stroking the motor?

Just use the GSR block you got in your car, or get another one. Strip it down, send it to get sleeved. Buy the pistons, rods, main studs, head studs. New oil pump and water pump.

Then take it all to a machine shop. Have them bored and hone the sleeves to the correct piston to wall clearance with the pistons you bought. Have them measure the bearing clearance and order the correct bearings for you. Then have them balance the rotating assembly. You can then finish off the assembling off yourself or just have them do it.

If you did what I said there and use the head that you have like you stated, You should have no problem making 500whp.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I just heard that the b18a/b internals would fit in my gsr block with no problems. B18c long block? If thats true, Ill keep the gsr block. Can you guys confirm this info?
Yes, LS crank will fit no problem. I believe you need non-stock length rods though.. Dont quote me on this.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
Mike dont get me wrong, your advise was much appreciated.

So the gt30r series for 500whp?
Any other turbos you think I should take a look at?
I want the middle ground. Fast spool and no boost drop off. Ill rev it till it gets me 500whp

Why would you want b18b internals? There is no way in hell they are good for 500hp even on a good tune. A GT3076R would be perfect, but you would max that turbo out at 500hp, and if you ran it at 500hp consistently, its not going to last you very long. Check the garrett website, they have a ToN of info for helping you select a turbo

Quote: mike_at_synapse on Oct/01/07 you have an excellent basis for the build. you want nothing but the best, and im trying to help you get that. im not trying to pick apart your build by any means, sorry if my being blunt made me out to look like an asshole.

my recommendations come from personal experience. ive seen a lot of what works and what doesnt. its not an end all so take it for what you think its worth.
same for me. Just trying to help you get the best and most cost effective setup possible

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
MeltMan on Oct/01/07 said:
Quote: blackakgsr on Oct/01/07I just heard that the b18a/b internals would fit in my gsr block with no problems. B18c long block? If thats true, Ill keep the gsr block. Can you guys confirm this info?

Yes, LS crank will fit no problem. I believe you need non-stock length rods though.. Dont quote me on this.
LS rods will need an LS crank. GSR or ITR rods can be used with an LS crank if they are milled

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I here long rod blocks are better for turbo.

Can anyone deny or confirm my question about ls internals in gsr block?

I know I need a ls tranny with quaife lsd.

Thanks for the info viet.

I think thats what Ill do

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Danny, Im not talking about used stock ls internals. Im talking about eagle rods and crank with ls r/s ratio.

Thanks for the info guys

So ls r/s ratio for turbo right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.