Team Integra Forums banner
821 - 840 of 846 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #821 · (Edited)
I didnt get a chance to check out the car seats this weekend due to other car issues, but I did take some measurements. The results look promising, but we'll see what they look like with the seats in the actual car. I think the legroom is the same as the coupe, but I think there should be higher head clearance since the roof line slopes down a little less. Or at least it seems like it does.

I also tried aircraft paint stripper on the overspray on the glass this weekend. I sprayed it on a rag and wiped it over the over spray, it had no effect. I think i will have to spray it directly on the glass, and then let it sit for xx minutes like it says on the can and let it eat at the overspray. Hopefully that does it. If not, i'll be emailing Eastwood again.

So, I finished the DB8R exhaust and did a "shakedown" drive with the car to see how things are all sorted out. It didn't go well, I'm a little disappointed. But, here's some pics and what all went down. Here's the car for it's maiden voyage out of the threshold of the garage.

Really love the look and the sound of the DB8R exhaust.

But thats when it all went downhill. About 2 minutes up the road, the car threw a CEL and began to run terrible. I drove a total of about 6 miles to see if it was an issue with gas or just from it sitting stationary (also got about 5 gallons of fresh 93 octane), but no luck. Its idling was very very low at redlights to the point it stalled out, and the rpms would really hang between gear shifts. Oh, I guess 2 good things of the shakedown run. I love this Neuspeed short shifter and the newly rebuilt shift linkage, and the car is getting into closed loop now.

So I took the car home and parked it, and put the hood up, as usual.

Other things to note during the drive: the rotors are terrible from sitting, my cruise control still doesnt work despite replacing all of the pieces and repairing a broken wire, and I need to realign my steering wheel. It is so far off from when I removed the wheel to remove the dash.

So fast forward to later in the evening after the kids went to bed and the engine cooled off. Surprise surprise, I found this guy hanging from where it was supposed to be plugged into. Also found a break in the wire right at the plug.

So, I "phoned a friend" and will have a new knock sensor plug on the way to replace this one. I'll just cut and solder the new connection and do my best to make sure the plug actually seats on the sensor. Hopefully this fixes all of the weird RPM issues. I didn't get a chance to check the car seats, but I did take some measurements. It looks promising, so once i fix the RPM issue, I'll test out the car seats.

EDIT: Forgot to note the one other issue. Apparently I have reached the life expectancy of the exhaust gasket between the cat and the mid pipe. I could feel and smell (man those fumes in the garage!) a leak here. So I placed an order for a new gasket here. I also realized I need a set of ramps, or a jack that is lowered car friendly. Not that my car is slammed, I mean heck, it's on another car's stock suspension lol. I'm getting really tired of lifting and lowering my car in 2 steps with 2 sets of jackstands.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #822 ·
This test drive went much better than the first. I initially thought I wasnt even going to get to work on the car this weekend with all of this OT i had to work, but i managed to get just enough done.

I replaced the knock sensor plug and pigtail, test fit the kid's car seats (tight but a success), cleaned up the inside of the car a bit, reconnected the car's alarm, and continued to diagnose an electrical issue with the license plate lighting. If i shake the harness, the lights flicker. I also straightened out the steering wheel so i don't have to drive the car straight with the wheel turned 90 degrees.

The car is still idling a bit low sometimes, then it picks up back to normal, but then dips down again to the low 600's. Its weird, the engine makes a thunk thunk thunk or a chugging sound when this happens. I still have to double check the timing on the car, not sure why the idle would be so low. It also still is a bit "hangy" between gear shifts and deceleration. So, hopefully this upcoming weekend I can replace the exhaust gasket, check the timing and continue to diagnose that issue, change the brakes and rotors, and finish up the license plate light wiring issue. I hope to get this car inpsected next week so its 100% legal.

And pictures, who doesnt like pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #823 ·
Ok, what a weekend. I thought it was going to be super productive, then it got flipped all around on me... So, my inspection appointment was set to be this morning, and in order to achieve that, I really had to hustle on a few things. Get ready for a novel....

Issue 1: License plate lights would flicker when the harness moved. Traced the issue to the plug between the car harness and the plate light harness. Couldnt get it to fix, so i just cut off the plugs and use a posi-tap. Problem solved.

Issue 2: Rotors extremely rusted from sitting and brake use doesnt seem to remove it, I installed new rotors and went for a test drive. still seem pretty noisy, I might need to change out the pads as well. Problem mostly solved.

Issue 3: Trunk was in complete disarray while trying to figure out what was wrong with the lighting. Got that all buttoned up 100% now. Problem solved.

Issue 4: The interior was a total wreck from trying to reconnect the alarm, re-run wires for the various things I installed, etc.. Interior is back 100% and cleaned up with only a few wires left to run. Problem solved. ( I proudly rock the old man tan)

Issue 5: Idle issue is still persistent where the car is trying to hold a sub 500 rpm idle. I removed the IACV to clean it. It was only mildly dirty, but still cleaned it. Put that back together, cleaned out the throttle body, and bled the coolant as an extra precaution. Idle issue is still present, but not all the time. It is absolutely maddening trying to diagnose something inconsistent. Problem = remains.

Issue 6: Weird rpm hang between gears. When shifting gears, the rpms are very slow to drop. When stopping at a read light, the rpms hang enough that if i dont put it in neutral, it will still try to keep pushing the car forward. If i put it in neutral, the rpms will hang around 2000-2500 rpm until i get to a full stop. Then it will slowly drop to about 1200, then 1000, then the car tries to idle at 500 or less and sometimes will stall out. I was hoping cleaning out the IACV and such would fix that, but no dice. I also checked the tension on the throttle cable to see if that was holding it up somehow, seems fine and the throttle plate in the TB seems to return to fully to its closed position without any hangups. Problem = remains.

Issue 7: AC needed recharged after having to disconnect the evaporator from the system to replace the cabin harness. I tried to put more freon in the system, but it refused to accept any. It certainly appeared the clutch on the compressor was engaging and disengaging, but it would take 2-3 oz of freon and thats it. AC condenser fan also was not kicking in. I have to do some further research on the AC system, I can't think of a reason why it wouldnt accept any freon, especially when it worked fine before i had to remove the evaporator from the car. Problem=remains.

NEW ISSUE: So, I never made it to my appointment today to get the car inspected. While out and about to test drive the car after all of this work, it decided to do something new. I took the car to 6,000 rpm a handful of times, and each time right around the 3000-3500 rpm mark, it felt like it was holding back or hesitating. At one point after leaving a stop light, I noticed the oil light was on and flashing. So, of course, I think Oh ****. Checked the pressure gauge, and it was still showing good numbers. right between 65-70 lbs at 3,000 rpm, and around 40-50 (maybe a bit less) at 2000 rpm. Got the car home, checked for devastating noises and didnt hear anything out of the ordinanary. The car was trying to idle at 500 rpm again. When the car tried to do this, the oil light stayed on constant, then when I gave the car some throttle it started to flash. At this point, I had be driving the car for about 20--25 minutes. Combination stop and go and up to 60+ on the highway. I let the car sit for about 10 minutes then fired the car back up again. No oil light, no flashing oil light, sounded fine.

Fast forward to later that evening, I checked the connection and the oil pressure sensor and it was solid. As a test, I removed the connector and fired up the car. The oil light did not come on. if i disconnect the plug from the sensor, I would think that should trigger the oil light....right? Also checked the oil level, its right where it needs to be. I'm really at a loss here...I'm hoping the car got to damn near stalling levels the last time I was stopped at the intersection and that trigged the oil light because the car couldnt generate enough pressure at such a low rpm. So, i'm thinking the stupid idle issue is to blame for this. I'm not sure what is to blame for the idle issue though. I am going to test my TPS to see if that is in spec. Maybe if that is out of wack, that will fix my idle issue and my weird rpm hanging issue? And I'm really not sure what is up with the AC system all of the sudden. If anyone takes the time to read this novel and maybe give a suggestion for something else to look at, man i would appreciate it. I really hate this. The car actually ran better with the shorted out harness and with it stuck constantly in closed loop, go figure....

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #824 ·
Alright, I'm thinking I'm starting to get things figured out.

The idle issue might be figured out, or at least something that isnt helping it. I'm sure this is probably contributing to the rpm hang too. The TPS is way out of spec and I cant adjust it any further. I ordered another one from rockauto, but its stuck in shipping purgatory somewhere.... At closed throttle with the adjustment maxed out, i was getting 0.89 volts and WOT i was getting 4.89. Not sure how that exactly relates to idle issues, but it is out of spec.

The hot / cold slider cable is all bound up and the heater valve is stuck open. Hopefully i can get the cable unbound tonight. That might fix my AC issues all together, the valve for the heater was all bound up too in the engine bay. And speaking of AC issues, i didnt realize it until yesterday that my condenser fan was coming on all along. It was my rad fan that wasn't coming on. God bless the shop manual, got that figured out in about 5 minutes. I found this guy chilling underneath a bunch of electrical tape.

I'm going to cut the connector off of my extra harness and wire it in.

Also, started a little side project that I;ve been wanting to do for a while now. I let the kiddos pick out the colors they wanted. As soon as this dries, i'm going to try and get their hand prints on here next before i high temp clear coat it. The boy is getting bigger by the day, not sure if his hand will fit on here anymore, but i'm gonna try.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #825 ·
Still waiting on my parts that are sitting in purgatory, so there wasnt much additional diagnosing i could do. BUT, i found the issue with my ac, maybe. If this isnt the entire issue, it is surely a big part of it.

I ordered a new cable from Acura since it is still available. I just noticed I'm missing my one light too...better order another one of those.

Also got my Spoon mirrors installed. I didn't trust the 3m tape on the factory glass, and i didnt like how much the Spoon mirrors stuck out of the glass holder because of that, so I opted for a bit of a different install.

Also got Phase 2 of the kiddos car project done.

And lastly, I picked up this gem for the car...

I plan to install the "receiver" end, but maybe nothing else. Especially since its not 100% complete and missing the actual phone. Which is OK, I think I've read this things work on a 2G network anyways, so it's not like it would have ever worked anyways. But, I still think its a really cool piece for the car.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #826 ·
Swapped out hot/cold cables from another unit i have since Acura has discontinued that item now. Also swapped out the TPS with a used one a friend is letting me borrow while my new one is lost in shipping somewhere. Got that at spec at closed throttle and .18 over spec for wot. thats close enough for me, i dont think ive ever had one actually in spec before for both closed and open throttle. Since my issue is at idle, i made sure to get that within spec for sure.

Hopeful for a successful quick test drive during my lunch break tomorrow. The perks of still working from home 3 days a week.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #827 · (Edited)
New TPS fixed everything, the car runs amazing now. Just have to get the climate control situation put back together. Rescheduled my inspection appt to make the car all legal, car gets road legal on tuesday.

Also got this in the mail, just in case i want to use minutes when i use my acura car phone lol

·
Super Moderator
14,195 Posts
Hooray!!

Reactions: danteisme

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #829 ·
So, I got to enjoy the car this weekend, and I think I have fixed my AC. I took off Friday so I could head to the upull yard to see if I could grab any of the climate control stuff off of a GSR they had. I made it without getting rained on, but that GSR was basically a non-rolling shell when I got there.

Someone REALLY put in some work, or it arrived this way maybe?

Saw this on my way out, shame this ended up in here. This car was pretty much still 100% intact.

Also saw this, I always loved these cars. I feel like I'm in the minority with that, this one was a manual trans too.

So I left the upull yard with just a CRV table (I have like 4 now lol) and made my way home to work on this AC issue. I rented a set of AC gauges and a vacuum pump and went to work. I pulled a vacuum on the system for about 20 minutes and it held at a -20 +/- on the gauges. After those 20 minutes, I closed up the system and shut off the pump and left the car for another 20 minutes or so. It held the same amount of vacuum that whole time, so it looks like my system is leak free. Then I hooked up my Dupont 134a, purged the line and fed 24 oz of freon into the car. I didnt add any oil because it was done last time I had this system re-done and I have no leaks. So I took the car for a test drive and I was still only getting to about a 60 degree air temp in the vents. This is with it only being about 70 outside, so something was still off. I checked a number of other things, and I think my entire issue is coming from the stupid cables that operate the climate controls. I replaced the bent one from the hot cold slider to the control box, but there is another one that goes to the heater valve in the engine bay. It looks like the hot cold slider cable goes to a lever under the dash, and this lever controls another lever that operates another cable that goes to the heater valve. Something is wrong with this cable, it never allows the valve to go fully closed. So I disconnected the cable and manually pushed the valve shut. I want to say the cable was leaving this open a good 20%. Right now, there is no way this cable will physically attach to the valve in the fully closed position. So I'm not sure if its binding up somehow or what. With how cold it was on Saturday and Sunday, I had to wait until Monday to test the system again.

So fast forward to Monday. I jump in the car with the vent gauge in place and drove around for a bit. I got the car up to operating temps and I was getting right around 100 degree air temps in the actual vents. I turned on the AC and in about 6-7 minutes, the temps dropped to 44 degrees. THAT is a number I can live with. So it looks like that stupid cable was my issue all along. Since that part is discontinued, I'm not really sure how to permanently fix this. But for now, since its basically summer, I'll just leave the control valve in "manual" mode lol.

And onto my last two projects on Monday. I removed the crappy adhesive from my ebay window visors and installed some good 3M adhesive tape. Since "real" jdm visors are hard to come buy, expensive as heck, and impossible to find parts for, these will do just fine.

And we finished up the kid's project.

Before:

During lol, I was helping my son with the driver when my daughter felt left out apparently and figured she could fit on the crate too:

Also during (Enzo found the key to the car and put it in the ignition, but got scared when he heard the Honda beeps lol):

And the finished product. I am super happy with it, i love it:

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #830 ·
It feels so good to cruise around in this car again. There's just something to be said about cruising around in this car in good weather, while listening to Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie album, on cassette lol.

I finally got my retrofits a little more aimed than what they were, still not perfect. I don't have a long enough space at my house to get these things really dialed in, so some night soon I'll have to head to my parent's house where they have a long enough driveway that I can set up and use some masking tape to make my reference points on their garage door. This is still way better than what it was though, I can actually see where I'm going now lol.

I think these actually need to come down a bit more, there isnt nearly as much light on the road in front of me as I thought there would be, so I'm thinking these might still be a bit too high.

Also took the car to run an errand yesterday morning, and to get the wife one of her essentials (yes one is mine too lol). Happy wife = Happy life.

Also made the switch, the car seats are now in the car so I can drive it whenever I want. The truck will be parked for a little while, it is in desperate need of some maintenance since I completely neglected it last year while I was working on the car.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Damn dude what a road to redemption! You've done a great job w/ this man. Happy for you, love the 97 front end bits, jealous actually as it's my favorite integra front end.

·
Registered
595 Posts
P.S. I got something for you, DM me a work address or something.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #833 · (Edited)
So, some interesting updates. First of all, I really dislike frameless windows....they bring a whole new level of maintenance I never thought I would need in a car lol. But, I've been getting a god awful screeching sound putting up and down my driver's window. So, I removed all of the door panels Friday night to get access to all of the little felt guides and give them a good cleaning. I sprayed all of them with compressed air, then used glass cleaner and a microfiber towel to scrub each one, then blew each one out again with compressed air. Then greased up all of the window tracks and re-installed everything. I had no idea it was going to take as long as it did, I think I was at about 3 hours total...stayed up way later than I intended to lol. I also replaced my broken door lock motor while I had the doors apart.

All nice and fluffy again.

I wish Acura/Honda just sold these things new... but, even after I was done, the noise still persisted. I don't see anything else that would cause the noise, is there someplace else I should be looking on these sedans? All of the other doors are good.

The other update was the terrible noise I was getting from the motor, or what I thought was the motor. I really thought the bottom end gave out lol. All of the gauges were reading fine, power was fine, and I noticed the sound didn't change with RPM. So I started investigating that as well, found the problem. I'm glad it's not my motor, but I'm pissed at what it is.

This converter has maybe 8-10K miles on it. I'm sure the miles where I was having my open loop issue and the car running super rich did not help the situation. I had this cat custom made since there really isn't a factory option for the JDM exhaust manifold, OBD2, and 2.5" in and out, it was quite pricey. Not looking forward to paying for that again.

I also came across this teg on the interwebs, I really like the wheel color.

I think I might be close with the one rattle can color, I have to wait for a sunny day to pull the car and the spray out cards out in the sunlight to get a good look. Leaning towards the second one from the right.

Other than the slight annoyances, been driving the car daily. Feels so good to do that again. And my kids love it, bonus!

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #834 ·
Here is an interesting update. So, I removed the single tone factory horn and installed two-tone TL horns. Simple install, worked great until Thursday or Friday of last week. Now they sound like this...

Any ideas as to why they suddenly sound so stupid? lol. Are they just shot? I havent really come across a set of horns that just stopped working, they seem to last forever. I might go pick up another set from the upull yard.

As you can imagine, i'm avoiding using my horn lol.

·
Super Moderator
14,195 Posts
water get in them? Still better than factory though.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #836 ·
Thats the worst part, somehow they are still better than the factory horn. I bet that's what happened though, they drowned. I'll have to grab another set from the upull yard, these things may have already been half gone when I got them. I think i paid $4 for the pair lol. I'll have to see if there is a better way to get them mounted so it doesnt happen again, might have to look at moving them under the fender liner maybe.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #837 ·
Had some work done yesterday, very happy with the results!

The car is absolutely filthy right now, i need it to not rain when i'm off so i can wash it. I also need to address some swirls in the hood i noticed yesterday.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #838 ·
Just a couple of buckets sitting at work....Co-worker brought his "vintage" car to work today. Couple of bad pics, but it sounds amazing.

98 VR6 powertrain, subframe, and full dash swap.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #839 ·
Grabbed a picture of the car when it was clean last week. It was my mobile office, I was doing a site visit for work at this closed down diner.

Then I decided to play in photoshop a bit and edited the picture to maybe sort of look like film? I dunno, just goofing around.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #840 ·
Fun Fact! On this day, 18 years ago, I drove to Pohanka Acura in Virginia to pick up my new to me 1996 Acura Integra GSR sedan. She only had 64K miles on it at that point. Now, i havent owned the car the entire 18 years, but close enough. 2003-2010, then bought back in 2014-present. What a fun trip its been!

821 - 840 of 846 Posts