Team Integra Forums banner

761 - 772 of 772 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #761
good answer on keeping the car. So it takes longer than planned. Not like you need to hurry for anything.
i'm disappointed / frustrated that i won't get to enjoy the car when i'd like to, but its going to be so good when i'm done.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #762
Some more updates from the weekend and looking for some guidance. First, i have mostly welded in the inner panel arch. This welder is really frustrating. While it is a lot better than my flux core, getting this thing dialed in and staying in is absurd. I took some more scrap metal and messed with the settings again and got it to where it was making a nice spot weld without blowing through the car. Moved over to the car and it was fine, then all of the sudden it was not fine. And then back to fine, and so on and so on. I can't complain much, this is my first time with a MIG, and my buddy is letting me use the welder basically free of charge, but holy crap this thing is finicky. So, the arch is in, but i have to clean some things up where the welder started blowing holes through the metal again for seemingly no reason, and i need to finish up some additional spots. I am butt welding this, which i know is something i shouldnt expect to be able to master having never used a mig before and using a butt weld technique on such thin sheet metal. With that in mind, please be gentle with the welding comments lol. I hope to have this more sorted when it comes time to the outer panel, i'm not as concerned with looks as i am with strength and rust proofing for the inner panel stuff.

And here is where i need some guidance, i ended up getting that deck lid with the oem spoiler. i need to clean it up a bit before i start getting it paint ready. I need some good suggestions on getting these out so i can replace them, they're bad. PB Blaster and a screw driver isnt going to cut it.

And i want to treat/replace if necessary these studs in the wing. To do that, i need to remove the gasket or cushion or whatever this is. They do not make replacements for these anymore. Before I start ripping these off and destroying them, does anyone have a good solution for a replacement for these? I could get some rubber gasket material, but its not quite the same material, not sure if it makes a difference or not though.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #763
Late night wrenching weekend updates!

Started removing the engine harness to install the new one to hopefully eliminate my electrical demons in the car... i got as far as the injectors and some of the under manifold plugs before i called it quits for the weekend.

This happened a few times...got some wire repair to do.

And does anyone want to give me an idea as to what is going on here? So i replaced my cabin harness previously, everything plugged up right where it was supposed to. Moved on to the engine harness which is also OBD2A and find this at the passenger side shock tower. Same wires, same order, different plug?

THis is the only plug that i have found to be different...makes no sense to me.

Oh and retrofit updates, sanded out the 3 lines on the lens and gave them a good polishing. not perfect, but 1000% better.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #764
Anyone have good tips for unplugging the crankshaft position sensor? that is the last plug i have that i need to get undone to swap out this harness, i fought with it for about an hour today and i cannot get these plugs to come apart.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #765
Aside from being frustrated with the engine harness, I mostly finished up the retrofits. Just have to put the misc. pieces back on each one to finish up and put somewhere safe until the body work is done. Oh, and the wiring, definitely got to do that. The output looks so good now that these are cleaned and polished, can't wait to drive them down the road.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #766
Well, i disassembled and re-polished the lenses a bit with a different pad. I think I may have used the same pad as the compound and got some nasty swirls. Liking the results much better, not 100% but these are old headlights.

The stupid breather tubes on the back, just the longer one on each side actually, has cracked and fallen to pieces when I tried to re-assemble. I'll have to rig something up to get those back on there. And i am literally one plug away from swapping out the engine harness, this crankshaft position sensor is terrible. I sprayed PB blaster where the plug mounts to the metal bracket for 2 days and tried to get it to budge over the weekend. nothing...i'm going to look at removing the crank pulley, the belts, and anything else in my way this weekend so i can get a better grasp on this stupid plug.

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
lights look amazing

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #768
Should be making some serious progress on the car moving forward now. I lowered the driver's side of the motor and was able to get both hands on that stupid crank sensor plug and remove it. I had to fix 3 more plugs on the new to me harness, but should be buttoning that up this weekend. Hopefully also in that progress is replacing the oil pan and gasket with some new OEM parts. Well, the pan is new OEM, i'm going with the fel pro perma dry this time around. i have the hondahabit studs on there already. Also, under the direction of my wife lol, i have made another purchase. I've spent so much time messing around with my friend's 25 year old welder trying to get it to work right and i just can't do it anymore. It is clearly not functioning 100%, something is making the wire feed inconsistently and is making the metal work an absolute nightmare. My new welder showed up yesterday, i bit the bullet and bought an Eastwood mig 135. I'll be borrowing the gas bottle from my friend's welder since i just filled it up and working on getting it setup to finish up the metal repairs on the car. Moving forward full speed, one weekend at a time!

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #769
New to me engine harness install and connector repair = complete.

New oil pan and gasket install = complete

Rear Quarter panel inner wheel arch repair = 90% complete (love this new welder).

As soon as i install the exhaust manifold back on the car, i can fire the car up to make sure i didnt butcher something with the engine harness install, and maybe...just maybe....it will fix my open loop issues. Only thing left to do in the engine bay is replace the o-ring for the oil cooler and i believe thats it. I'll work on cutting the outer panel replacement to fit the car next and start working towards getting that on there.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #770
Success, the car is no longer stuck in open loop!

I need to redo the oil cooler, its leaking now that the car was running. I really hate that o-ring. I'm buying a new torque wrench to make sure i'm not smashing it, i dont fully trust the wrench i was using, but its all i had.

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
awesome! Stupid electrical.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
Well, I had a mostly productive weekend of working on the car. I finished the inner panel work and seam sealed it all up. Next, I went over the car and circled every low spot, ding, and dent I could find. Then went over with my first round of body filler and sanded it down with my DA. I'll still need to go over and block sand these spots to get them good and level. I now need to clean my garage, so much dust just from this little bit of filler.

I'll probably need to do this at least once more before I get to the epoxy primer. You can see in this last picture i started test fitting the donor panel. This was wear it went wrong and I made a mistake. I mis-measured somehow from one of my reference points and cut the donor panel a hair too short (maybe a little over a 1/2"). Super annoying. It can be fixed with another small piece of metal and some additional weld time, but I'm still mad that I have to do it and it was completely avoidable.

This weekend coming up, I'll keep working with the filler on this side of the car and move to the other side and finish trimming the outer panel for final fitment. Before i weld in the panel, I plan to use the body adhesive for the entire length of the wheel lip.

I also placed an order today for a "Spoon Sports starter pack" lol.

761 - 772 of 772 Posts