Team Integra Forums banner

701 - 720 of 725 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
there is a gates hose to bypass the core:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Coolant-Bypass-Hose-Molded-Heater-Hose-Gates-18701/112231789800?fits=Model:Integra&epid=79011240&hash=item1a218934e8:g:z-oAAOSwuLZY6P4I

at this point it's the only gates product i can recommend since they moved production to china. 8(
also rockauto has another blowout going on, the link is for 95 gs-r parts
so double check their regular inventory for fitment if in doubt:

https://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=1000382&m=wc&l=en&html=true

gotta love the $1.34 wix oil filter with $3 shipping lol.
grabbed that fab bando timing belt last time around, made in germany greatness!
also just sent them the $150 manual trans speed sensor by standard motor for warranty exchange after 5 months. with a 3 year/36k warranty i'm set for life! 8)

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
I'm pretty sure you could just "loop" the heater core circulation

I initially didnt think i had the room to do a loop, but i think you are right. And that will definitely be the way to go, just to test fire to make sure everything is at it should be.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #703
there is a gates hose to bypass the core:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Coolant-Bypass-Hose-Molded-Heater-Hose-Gates-18701/112231789800?fits=Model:Integra&epid=79011240&hash=item1a218934e8:g:z-oAAOSwuLZY6P4I

at this point it's the only gates product i can recommend since they moved production to china. 8(
also rockauto has another blowout going on, the link is for 95 gs-r parts
so double check their regular inventory for fitment if in doubt:

https://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=1000382&m=wc&l=en&html=true

gotta love the $1.34 wix oil filter with $3 shipping lol.
grabbed that fab bando timing belt last time around, made in germany greatness!
also just sent them the $150 manual trans speed sensor by standard motor for warranty exchange after 5 months. with a 3 year/36k warranty i'm set for life! 8)
I didnt know gates moved their production to China, Gates was always my go to. I love / hate when Rock Auto does their blow sales. Love it because of cheap parts, hate it because i end up buying stuff i dont need lol

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just finished reading every page of this restoration. I am very impressed with your abilities and patience. If I can look for any parts in GA just let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
I just finished reading every page of this restoration. I am very impressed with your abilities and patience. If I can look for any parts in GA just let me know.
Thank you! Its a combination of patience and obsession I think at this point.

I just realized I should probably update my table of contents on the first page, it looks like I havent done that in a while.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #707
Finally an update worth posting. I had a lot of family things going on, vacation, and misc. house repairs so the integra was definitely on the back burner. I had time to work on the car the last couple weekends and got the harness routed and completed, re-installed the support bar so i could re-install the steering column, and got everything buttoned up harness wise from the engine bay. I took the harness out of the dashboard so i could move it over to the car and connect the gauge cluster for my test fire. Here are my thoughts for the test fire - connect the coolant loop so i can test the car without re-installing the heater core (loop already done), double check all harness connections to make sure everything is firmly seated AND where it is supposed to be, and then cross my fingers and try to start the car. Assuming all goes well with the test, i'll re-install the heater core and ventilation stuff, and get the dashboard back in, replace the water outlet in the engine bay (leaking at the nipple), and get everything else reconnected like the ac lines and the other misc. stuff i took off for access.

Then finally onto the body work - i'll be starting with replacing the bad metal in the rear quarter and then moving on from there.

If the test fire does not go well, hang head and cry, then start diagnosing lol.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
I forgot to update this - test fire was a complete success! Here are a few pictures from this weekends' work.

Here is how i had everything "rigged" so that i was able to check out my gauges during the test fire.

What a freakin mess

So once the test was a success, I cleaned up the fire wall and all of the components that attach to it before i resinstalled them. 23 years of dirt and dust is nasty..

And then starting the re-install process.

I need to finish the climate control sub-harness and the dash support on the passenger side, and then finalize the connections to the heater core on the engine side before I can put the dashboard back in. Once i have the interior relatively back together (mainly so i can have some of my garage space back) its on to the quarter panel for replacement!

·
Administrator
43,010 Posts

I need to write a script that every time you post a reply, my account auto posts "Yikes" lol

With that noted: Yikes!

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #711
your dedication to this build is insane! I don't think I could rebuild something like that. The sentimental value must be really high!
To be honest, it turned into something i wasnt quite anticipating. I'm too far into it to dump the car, so i continue with my DIY stuff. I'm really learning a lot of this as i go lol. I can only imagine what a shop would charge for the repairs and work i put into the car, but thats also my main incentive for doing this myself. I couldnt afford it otherwise. This car will be around for my kids to drive, thats for sure!

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #712

I need to write a script that every time you post a reply, my account auto posts "Yikes" lol

With that noted: Yikes!

I'm sure there will be quite a few more yikes, then one day it will be Yi - ...oh wait, he's done! lol, "done".

·
Registered
41 Posts
To be honest, it turned into something i wasnt quite anticipating. I'm too far into it to dump the car, so i continue with my DIY stuff. I'm really learning a lot of this as i go lol. I can only imagine what a shop would charge for the repairs and work i put into the car, but thats also my main incentive for doing this myself. I couldnt afford it otherwise. This car will be around for my kids to drive, thats for sure!

Let's add to that 'Dragon Run 2020'!

I think I'm going to wind up missing this year. 2020 does have a good ring to it though!

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #715
Let's add to that 'Dragon Run 2020'!

I think I'm going to wind up missing this year. 2020 does have a good ring to it though!
I like your thinking, it would be a good opportunity for a family vacation too. We were trying real hard to make it to the Smokies this fall but its not gonna happen. Wife and kids in her car, and i'll make the drive in the integra!

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #716
So, some additional updates as i'm getting the car put back together / getting close to body work and paint.

First, some bad news....

I let the car get up to operating temperatures to see what happens when the car went into closed loop mode as i was re-filling the cooling system.

Guess what happened? It fell flat on its face, almost died, and quickly went back to open loop mode. the exact same S&*t it was doing before i started this whole wire swap thing. It is indescribably annoying. My only hope is the fried wires shorted out the sensor and thats all it will take to fix it. I really don't know what else to do with it at this point.

The other bad news.... I took my steering wheel off to have more room to re-install the dash. I marked the wheel and the splines with a sharpie so i could put it back exactly where it was. Well....the sharpie rubbed off. DOH!! How screwed am i now with trying to get this wheel exactly right? luckly the wheel is locked into position, so there is really only a small amount of play to begin with. Just annoying that i tried to take the proper precautions and it still got screwed up.

Other than that, the new harness is routed everywhere it needs to be, the dash is completely re-installed, just have to install the climate control stuff and the radio and move on down through the center console. Speaking of the center console, mine got trashed by accident. Something fell in the car on top of it during the tear down stage and put a big gouge in the plastic. So i'll have to keep an eye out for one of those at the upull yard.

some more pics from this weekends interior carnage.

I also got the front fenders, front bumper, and trunk lid sanded down to get ready for some autobody work. As for the open loop/closed loop issue, i'm not going to let that slow me down at this point. I'm going to keep moving on to the body work so i can get that done sooner than later. I can further diagnose the other issue when i'm done.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just finished the part out of my integra and You are a mad man replacing that wiring harness. I couldn't keep things straight not caring how they go back together. Excellent work and patience.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just chiming in again. I think you should stick with that hunter green color. This dude just repainted his and my god does it look sexy with multiple clear coats.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #720
701 - 720 of 725 Posts
About this Discussion
724 Replies
44 Participants
danteisme
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing