Team Integra Forums banner

681 - 700 of 728 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #682
That CD looks to be cheesier than Cheetos lol
Oh it is for sure.

So, this weekend was frustrating. Well, mostly frustrating. I finally got the dashboard out, I had to cut a couple of wires from the harness to my alarm just because of how it was installed. I didn't see any other way to do it. So, its out and now I can start to replace the cabin harness along with the heater core because I really don't want to ever rip out the dash again. Also the brake light switch to see if that fixes my cruise control issue.

Also, still in process of doing a little seat part swapping to take good leather and foam from a passenger seat, and swap it over to a drivers seat so i have good front seats in the car. By the way, public service announcement - THERE IS REALLY SHARP STUFF INSIDE OF THE SEAT. I found out the hard way when I reached my hand up inside of the seat to release the headrest.

No pictures of this, but this is probably the most frustrating part of my Integra work this weekend. Why is it harder to remove the freakin door handles, than it is the dashboard? I fought with my passenger one for an hour, and it is still in the door. I can't even get to the one bolt for the drivers side. The manual says, raise the door glass up completely, and then use the access hole in the door to use a 10mm and ratchet on the bolt. Well, this is applicable on the passenger side of my car, but the glass still completely covers the bolt on the drivers side. Not sure how this is possible. Anyone have some good tips to get these stupid things out of my doors? The rears were simple to remove, both sides in less than 15 minutes probably.

·
Super Moderator
14,150 Posts
some day I want to swap my dash for tan to black but not in a big hurry.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #684
Alright, so i lost my cool and listed this car for sale for a hot minute yesterday. I have since gathered my senses and decided to continue on. I worked on the car for about 4 hours yesterday and got absolutely nothing accomplished. I removed the evaporator and blower motor quickly, then moved onto the heater core. This stupid thing just does not want to let go of the car. I'm having a VERY hard time getting the hose clamps / hoses to slide off the inlet and outlet of the heater core. I replaced these hoses at the beginning of the project, and it was super simple, but most of the engine bay was torn apart and there was nothing in the way. Now, we have the fuel lines, brake lines, intake manifold etc... all in the way making it very difficult to get enough room for any kind of leverage to get these hoses off the core.

The interior still looking like a nightmare

And the god awful hoses and hose clamps in question.

Still no resolution with this crap. And then my heart really sank when i realized this harness goes back behind the firewall mat. So I will need to remove this, and anything else on top of it, to replace this harness....."insert sigh here"............

·
Registered
41 Posts
This post reminds me of a true definition of 'labor of love' lol With that said, gotta hand it to you brother. I've been slacking on things I want to do lately as my efforts have been working on the house :/ yay for adulting. But the car isn't going anywhere so I have time to do the little things.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #686
I've been slacking on things I want to do lately as my efforts have been working on the house :/ yay for adulting. But the car isn't going anywhere so I have time to do the little things.
I hear ya, this was the first day in months that i've been able to dedicate more than 30 minutes to the car.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
Hooray work, finally. This process is such a m'frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Got the stupid heater hoses to finally let go of the heater core, and i got the passenger side of the cabin harness out, and got that side of the new harness in the car.

I did have one slip up....i thought for sure i had my pliers on one of the body clips that hold the harness to the shock tower. that thing would not budge no matter how hard i pried. Then all of the sudden there isbrake fluid on the floor. It turns out i had my pliers on the passenger front brake line. UGH. at least its a short one, so i'll have to make a new one of those. I also tried my best to save that fire wall mat, but it came out in about 8 pieces so there was no saving it.

i also found some more rust i'll have to take care of before i button it all back up. Here is the rust -

Here is what i have left to get the cabin harness out of the car, not looking forward to the part that goes up behind the cruise box.

And my other little side project. Its hard finding a 5 speed OEM wood grain surround, and if you do find them they're well over $100. So i'm making one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
wow been there done that since i pulled my dash and really didnt need to. 8(
good to see progress, sometimes you just have to rest before getting back in there.
after reading this thread i will never ever ever sell my car ever lol.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
Trying to get this mamba jamba out of the way so i can easily remove and reinstall this harness.* I had no idea how many places this thing went.* crazy!

And as one of my side projects for when i re-install this - does anyone have a good method to mount a single LED such as this one?* As in, the LED would be on top of a plastic panel?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Trying to get this mamba jamba out of the way so i can easily remove and reinstall this harness.* I had no idea how many places this thing went.* crazy!

And as one of my side projects for when i re-install this - does anyone have a good method to mount a single LED such as this one?* As in, the LED would be on top of a plastic panel?

yeah, they sell LED holders in various sizes and finishes that look like these.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #692
Good lorrrrrrrrrd...never EVER again will i attempt to fix a vehicle with a wiring harness issue. I'll just set it on fire and send it down the road. After a lot of wrestling, the old harness is out.

I can't get over how freaking long this harness is.

Now i get to run the new to me harness everywhere, and attempt to put everything back in where it came from. before i put the dash back on, i'll definitely be doing a test fire to make sure everything still works. And i found my issue in the harness, i never would have found it without removing everything so this task was not for nothing.

This is the wires to the downstream oxygen sensor, notice how crispy these look? something was shorting out somewhere, causing my car to run in open loop all the time.

I also found out why my cruise control stopped working randomly about 10 years ago - I bet that black wire is supposed to be in that plug...

So i'm not sure if the hard part of this job is over, or if i'm just getting into it. Fingers crossed everything goes back exactly how it should and i have no bolts or pieces leftover lol.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've done about 6 complete harness swaps in VW's, subarus and an RX-7 FC. The hard part is just starting ;)

Shouldn't be too bad but i recommend checking all your clips and such before attempting to put it back in so you have a fighting chance of everything snapping back together properly.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,150 Posts
Yeah finding the fried wires is bad but kind of nice. Sure sound better than if you just found something that was slightly unclipped instead! Man that would've sucked.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #698
Yeah finding the fried wires is bad but kind of nice. Sure sound better than if you just found something that was slightly unclipped instead! Man that would've sucked.
I would have died a little inside if i did all of this work to remove the harness and found nothing wrong, or something very simple that could have been fixed without doing all of this work. Fingers crossed the re-install goes smooth and everything does what it is supposed to when i try to fire the car up again.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #699
Getting closer to putting the dash back in. I ran most of the harness, have a few ends to sort out. I knew this was gonna happen, get towards the end and not remember exactly how the harness was run etc... i prepped the floor in the areas where the rust was found, it wasnt bad at all but it wasnt something i wanted to leave alone. i should be able to get that treated and covered this week. I have to flare the new brake line and install that, and then i should be able to button up the harness on the engine bay side. Trying to figure out how i can test this without putting everything back in the car. The gauge cluster's harness is in the dash, and ideally id like that to be connected for the test. I guess i could remove it from the dash.

i also plan to have the heater core swapped out and connected up for the test. its probably a bad idea to have open coolant lines with the car running. Its getting there, i've already fully accepted that this car wont be ready til the fall so with that in mind, i think its a doable goal and i wont kill myself or sacrifice family time trying to meet some ridiculous deadline i set myself.

681 - 700 of 728 Posts