Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it has just hit the rainy season here and i was wondering if my cai is a huge danger to hydro-locking. yesterday i had to go pick up my girl and it was flooding, it scared me to death to drive it but nothing has happened yet. also wondering if hydro-locking was an acumulation of water in the engine or if it is from one really bad surge of water.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Here is what hydrolock is.

well that doesnt really eplain it, but basically it is water getting into the combution chamber, water cannot be compressed like air can, therefor it 'locks' the engine makeing it impossible for any parts to move.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
hydrolock occurs when your filter is complelty submerged in water, then it brings this large amount of water into the cylinders. since water is not compressible it fills the cylinders and abrubtly stops the rotation of the engine. this abrubt stop will then put alot of stress on the connecting rods, pistons and also the crankshaft. this amount of stress on an engine usually breaks these parts.

you will not have to worry about hydrolock with a cai as long as you drive with common sense and dont drive in a two foot puddle and just sit there revving the engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Staying on the same subject of hydrolock has anyone ever heard of hydrolock due to a front mount intercooler? I am planning on a turbo but was wondering if anyone has any horror stories concerning intercoolers.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
JUICEDGSR95 on Sep/07/02 said:
it is impossible. There is no way for water to enter.
yes it is possible, air gets sucked in, so does water but this only happens with it submerged...as for the FMI i don't know, i'm pretty sure the chances are slim unless you drive through a flooded area, you're daily rain won't hurt it though.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
FlyinHighImport on Sep/07/02 said:
Quote: JUICEDGSR95 on Sep/07/02
it is impossible. There is no way for water to enter.

yes it is possible, air gets sucked in, so does water but this only happens with it submerged...as for the FMI i don't know, i'm pretty sure the chances are slim unless you drive through a flooded area, you're daily rain won't hurt it though.
I know that the CAI will/can suck in water when submerged, we had already answered that question. This response was aimed toward the FMI question. The only way to hydrolock from a FMI would be for the tubing to become disconnected from the intercooler while you were submerged in water, therefore allowing the engine to suck the air in.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
why would you even want to buy an FMI in the first place?

you might as well get out the fuzzy dice , full sticker kit to cover both front fenders, doors and your windows, big picnic table rear wing that looks like it should belong on a transport truck intead of an import... it's that out of proportion,4 in. exhaust tip, 40 lb 19 in. wheels ...and oh yes, let's not forget the flashing strobe lights and sideskirt lights...did I forget anything?

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
Michael Delaney on Sep/07/02 said:
why would you even want to buy an FMI in the first place?

you might as well get out the fuzzy dice , full sticker kit to cover both front fenders, doors and your windows, big picnic table rear wing that looks like it should belong on a transport truck intead of an import... it's that out of proportion,4 in. exhaust tip, 40 lb 19 in. wheels ...and oh yes, let's not forget the flashing strobe lights and sideskirt lights...did I forget anything?
SNAP!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey michael just wondering if your coments were about my front mount intake. if it was and it is just a part to bring more attention to myself then why is it that the design came strait from the drag strip, from cars that run 4s and 5s, pro drag cars.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I don't see anything remotely related between a 5-6L methanol or nitromethane SC or turbo V8 and what we have under our hoods. So a pro stock car doing 5 sec may run 290 duration cams...does that mean I need 290 duration cams as well? you see my point? If you had said that Erick Aguilar ran his B18C1 with an fmi, we would have something to talk about.

BTW my comments were about the fmi design in general and not to you in particular.

and when I refer to the fmi, I am referring to the ones used on N/A motors. The ones that look like an intercooler but are then used in an all motor package. REAL intercoolers or aftercoolers on an FI motor is whole different ball of wax.

So I'm not out to put you down. please don't take it that way. I didn't even see your post to be honest. I just read the more recent posts on this thread. My point is that design uses up too much of the engine's work to just get in enough air into the engine. It's useless in a small displacement N/A motor. All it does is make your car "appear" like it's turbocharged. And we all know what the word in the import scene for posers is....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts