Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to purchase a '94 RS and I need to know how to safely brake for daily driving. If anyone knows some good techniques, please share. I know for an ABS equipped car you would just push down the brake and it would pump for you, but that's not the case with a non ABS car. I'm kind of scared driving a car without ABS, but I hope to at least find some techniques for braking (in normal situations and emergency) that will allow me to increase my braking skill. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Pump the brakes yourself. If I can drive a 4,200lbs Volvo in the snow with no abs I am sure you can drive an Integra In Florida with no abs.

Peace

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
ABS prevents you from locking the wheels in an emergency situation. The brakes do not pulsate all the time.

Depending on the conditions and the situation, non-abs can sometimes stop better than an ABS equipped car. Although ABS will help your tires last a little longer in those extreme situations.

But, I fail to see what you are concerned about. As far as "daily driving" is concerned, there is no different technique for braking on the streets, no matter if you have ABS or not.

But, if you are concered that you will not be able to properly react in an emergency braking situation, then why don't you check locally and see if there is someplace that offers a driving school that will teach this. Other than that, practice is the only other way I can see for you. See if you can get a parking lot set up for you to practice hard braking and such.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
its basically the same.. just dont slam on the brake if your going to stop suddendly.. and watch out for other drivers when you drive.. , I personally like my car with no ABS.. i have a RS too

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
only maybe twice in my life have I had ABS actually activate on the street, it's not something that's going to affect your daily drive. I'm sure in very wet and snowy areas you'd get more use out of it, but otherwise it's only going to come into play in emergency situations.

Race car drivers who don't use ABS just know from experience the braking threshold and don't brake past that. So just get to know your car and how far you can brake before the wheels lock completely.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
yep, I drove an oldsmobile, a 93 without abs, it was pretty bad in the rain if you do a panic stop, but like surferx said, just play with it and figure out how hard you can brake without it locking.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Drive slower in wet and slippery conditions. ABS never activates for me when I do that. If it did activate then I'm driving too fast and it doesnt matter at that point.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Drive normal. The only times you need ABS is is snow or heavy rain. I drive my dad's Taurus which has ABS and its not much different than mine except when you slam on the brakes. Thinking that you are gonna have to change your driving style is ridiculous. You'll be fine, just don't think you are invincible cause you have it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
its the same, only in emergencies like snow and rain does abs come into play, also when you slam on your brakes. abs also keeps your car strait in the snow when you try to stop so you don't slide sideways. i love abs without it i'd be in aworld of sh*t.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Just go practice braking somewhere. What you want to be able to do is discover you're braking threshold (the point just before the wheels lock). Even in an ABS car, you'll get better stopping distances braking at the grip threshold than letting ABS kick in, it's only there to save the lives of people that panic brake and would otherwise slide themselves to an early grave.

For you, since you dont have ABS, you'll have to learn to threshold brake in the dry, and if it's wet or icy, remember to pump the brakes if you cant find it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the helpful replies.

i'm gonna try out the threshold brake when i get a chance in an empty parking lot sometime.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I love no abs.. used to drive a 2000 honda civic which had abs. I recently bought an integra ls and i acctually took the abs out. I just feel like i have more control without it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
CLAYHOWARD on Mar/23/04 said:
You could get a proportioning valve like road racers use
Why would he do that. Where would he install it? You know that proportioning valves are for mainly for F Disc/R Drum combinations? I see this information as in correct. Finding a the valve, let alone finding a valve that will work for the car would be difficult. Plus at maximum braking the valve is fully open. And that would be where he would have needed it any way.

Quote: From the ASE practice test book The proportioning valve reduces pressure to the rear wheel brakes to compensate for the transfer of vehicle weight to the front wheels. the action prevents premature lockup of the rear wheels. During a light brake applications, the valve does not affect rear wheel pressure. During high pressure pedal application the proportioning valve opens and allows full pressure to the rear wheels. When pressure gauges are connected to each proportioning inlet and outlet, during a moderate brake application, there should be a pressure difference (lower at the outlet)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts