Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as promised in my intro here is the starting off my build thread. i will keep it short(kinda) and simple just to catch up where i am at atm.

First things first, it is a 1989 da6 integra. I found it and picked it up for $2400nzd, with the intentions to make it a budget track car because i didnt have the balls to take my daily driven 1991 bc5 legacy rs-ra on the track. To help with my plans, it already had a b16a, plate diff lsd and a fart cannon for the exhaust. Also came on cut suspension which was a horrible 2 1/2 hour drive home.

here it is when i first got it

Not long did i have it before it hit the track. Unfortunatly i dont have any photos because i was having way to much fun and knew i made the right decision.

After my first trackday I stated looking for a bit more power and suspension upgrades as everyone does haha. Asking around i decided to go the type r cams and valve springs direction. Found me some and got to work.

After taking the head off. Bit of a mess

Sent the head away to skim, clean and install type r valve springs.
Got it back and got back to installing it along with a buddyclub head gasket, and scored a type r inlet manifold.

Gasket, inlet and cams all in.

All done.

A week later i got some of these, D2 ajustables

Went to a mates work to install them with some bb4 prelude rotors and calipers

Sorry about pic quality, only photo of the night

To be continued

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Continuing on

Heres a better pic

So the car stayed like this for a couple of track days with the adding of semi slicks and a stripped interior.

Also had a go at an exhaust. 2.5 inch home made haha also some 4-2-1 extractors i picked up

Dont worry, i cut the exhaust shorter there haha

Next was just a few cosemtic things like painting the wheels, tow hook and etc

With the cams and inlet put on i decided to get a tune. this was because i needed it reliable and just to squeeze that extra kw out of the tiny motor. So in it went, my tuner changed the car from obd0 to obd1 and got tuned to 120kw which i was pleased out of a 280,000km motor.
Now this is how the car stayed for about a year, just hitting track days.

Things started getting more serious and decided i wanted to race properly so i went out and bought a 6 point cage, painted it blue and made a more user friendly interior with a stage shift light, 2 bucket seats and two 6 point harnesses to hold ya guts in

oh and a rear window spoiler i got from the states :)

Couple more track days

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Then out of no where i got offered a b16b short block which for a price i couldnt resist so bought it, a new racing clutch, new arp head studs and buddyclub head gasket and got to work!!!

b16b

b16a out

Parts

Bit of a cleaner engine bay

And to top it off, a patchy carbon fibre bonnet :D

THEN TRAGEDY HITS
At a local trackday i had a whoopsy and hit along a concrete barrier at 170km. Luckily me and my passanger felt barely anything, thank god for the cage. But the car was looking a bit sad. Bonnet had blown to pieces but luckily the damage was all cosmetic, engine and radiator and all where fine. Just a really bent chassis rail. So i drove it home, 1 hour drive. Called the panelbeater the next day and he threw it on his chassis machine. straightened her out and got her a new look.

In the changes i got it retuned to a healthy 9000rpm limit, added a diffuser, easily removable front bumper for those hard to get on trailers and driveways, new nt01 semis and new extractors 4-1 which have a bad ground clearance so they have been dinged up already.
So now this brings me upto date almost. Just recently, i have had my first real race day which the car did awesome. Finished 5th overall behind a few turbo cars and one type r integra in my class. It taught me alot just being out there one day and got my list going already with 2 problems. One being the typical old style tank giving me surge problems. When above a quatre tank it starts running out of gas around sharp corners so im having to run more gas then i need to, solution is a surge tank setup which i just finished

Simple but effective

Second problem is s1 gearbox. My syncros are starting to graunch so have pulled out the gearbox and am rebuilding with a mfactory 4.9 FD atm.

Gearbox out

Plate diff

So this is where im at, car is off the road but hopefully my next update will be in a week or two, once the gearbox parts have arrived. Feed back appreciated!

Car atm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys. I had one video of me coming past pit lane so will have a look for it tonight.
Car is on d2 adjustables with ef civic front camber arms, hardrace adjustable rear camber arms, factory swaybars and factory lcas.
My future aims are to get a lot more involved in club racing which I have started and hopefully get in a race series called Honda Cup which is quite big here in NZ. That's my goal atm. The engine won't change because I'm matching and beating a lot more powerful cars but never say never haha but probably looking at a full suspension overhaul.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i got home today after work and got my a into g and started to strip the mainshaft. Was very easy to pull everything off by hand, and started my check over.

My reason for stripping this was because at high rpm, 3rd, 4th and 5th were grinding if shifted quickly. I also have had a problem with 2nd and 4th popping out but i believe that is due to shift linkage movement as it only started after the crash. Looking over the synchros of these gears, they dont look to bad. Gap between synchro and gear is good on all and cones look good but when i checked the hubs, they dont look too good

5th

4th side

3rd side

Before i go and order a set of synchros, what do you guys think? Could the hubs be the cause of high rpm graunching?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick update,
Parts for gearbox are on the way and have finally got myself a Gopro 3. Awesome piece of technology, so will now be able to get good videos of me racing and be able to post it up once cars going

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gearbox is now back in the car. Ended up using some good second hand sleeves as now im on the save for a ys1 gearbox and close 3,4,5th. So in the mean time, my s1 will be getting used and abused. Went for a quick test drive, also tested gopro and all is good so now waiting for the next trackday to test the car fully and give you guys a good video to watch. Thats all for now but heres a dirty photo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So spent today getting the car ready, removed passenger seat, oil change, new rotors and pads, and bleed brakes all round. Now all set to race tomorrow at a track here called pukekohe. Will have many photos and videos for you guys!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi all,
Yesterday went very well! Got to feel the new brakes, gearbox and surge tank. All performed great, except the factory 282 brakes i got, got absolutely destroyed and were shuddering by the end. Surge tank worked an absolute treat, fuel gauge was reading empty the whole time as the older pickups dont catch the gas very well while cornering. So was a big weight off my shoulder not worrying about if i was going to get fuel surge.
So the day started with getting down to the track at 7.30. Got the car off the trailer, signed in and did a last check over of the car. Had 3, 7 lap races, throughout the day. My class is 0-2000cc class but we also race with 2000cc-3000cc and 3000cc-open, which makes it alot more fun. Cars everywhere!

So heres my best race i uploaded, havent uploaded any others yet as it takes a while for my computer haha but will upload them sometime this week.
In this race the people who are in my class that you can see are the red 320 bmw, blue lotus, austin mini, VN holden Commodore, and the white integra type r.
Racing starts at 3mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRL3TqFqRLs&feature=youtu.be

And heres a few photos of other class cars, unfortunatly could only get about a quatre of what was there

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update, last round of summer series over here is this Sunday the 12th so will have more videos and pics to come.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry about the dead thread guys. Race season is all done and dusted but have been keeping busy. So in the last race i came 1st, 1st and 3rd so very happy overall. Will try get all 3 race footage up. But for now, Honda has started her winter hibernation by being stored away.

All nice and cozzy but she still looks mad at me haha

This is the reason iv been busy

Id like to introduce you all to my very frumpy and skitzo daily driver, Subaru wrx. Iv had her for a while as my tow car but just recently, she thought it would be a good idea to blow a headgasket YAY. Have finally got my ass into gear and now have her back on the road but this is where iv been for the last few months.
FUN TIMES
Will hopefully get those videos up and keep ontop of this thread.
Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts