Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know that our cars are know for their tail light gasket leaks. Specially here in FL when it rains it rains hard. I used to have up to 2inches of water in my trunk were the spare tire is. After checking the prices at stealerships i decided to make my own. I went through a few store but could not find something that i needed (rubber foam). So I found an old wet suit in my garage that is 7mm. You that use wet suits know that material it made out of. It a perfect match rubber foam. Since i have I never use it and its been laying in my garage for so long I decided to get to work. First you need to make sure that its youre gasket not something else. The way I checked my is poped the hatch open took a bottle of water and pour it in the rail. A few seconds later I can see the water coming down my gasket inside.

OK here are the tool i used

you can buy this at home depot

This is my material I use as a gasket

take off the back plastick so it looks like this. Dont mind the carpet its getting changed

Remove the nuts in RED and unplug wire harness

should look like this all dirty

Take youre old gasket and trace it on youre new material. I've seen people use different kind stuff so what ever you think will work for you. But remeber it has to be rubber and foam. Foam is so that you can get a nice tight fit, Rubber is waterproof. Here is what my looks like

Fit the gasket on tail light to make sure you cut every hole needed

Clean the area before putting light back in

Put everything back in like you took it out. And enjoy the rain

If you have used different material please post up so people know what to look for.

·
Registered
988 Posts
nice!! I need to do something like that..what i did since i didn't want to pay the crazy price from the dealership I just got some sealant and put it on the face of the gasket where the tail light left an indentation so the gasket sealed to the back of the light and it worked. I only did it to one side so I guess only the passenger side was leaking but both still get condensation so im gonna have to seal around the light itself.

once again, good job man!

·
Registered
718 Posts
So I have flipped the gaskets from one side to the other and am pretty sure that didn't work as well as I wanted to. Put weather strip adhesive on the area that the gasket sits, let it dry, put the light and the gasket back on and still leaked. You think I could use the weather strip adhesive again but instead of letting it dry, have the gasket pretty much stick to it?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theivjackal on Mar/25/10 said:
So I have flipped the gaskets from one side to the other and am pretty sure that didn't work as well as I wanted to. Put weather strip adhesive on the area that the gasket sits, let it dry, put the light and the gasket back on and still leaked. You think I could use the weather strip adhesive again but instead of letting it dry, have the gasket pretty much stick to it?

i wouldnt use the same gasket cause it all ready has an imprint from sitting on there for years thats why its leaking. If you put some kind of thin rubber foam around the gasket and then to the body maybe that'll work better. So that the gasket can make a new shape and seal it well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wetsuit pants? Thats a great idea to make a gaskit with. When mine leaks i tell my wife its time to drain the fish tank but drilled two holes to let the water drain but i will use your idea.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its been over 3mnt since i this and its holding up well not a single drop in my trunk. Also the taillights are dry from sealing them around with silicone. I know wetsuits come in different mm but for youre reference the ones that u used were 7mm. Im sure you can use 3-5 mm and it will do same job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts