Team Integra Forums banner

CV boots

707 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  integra00gsr 
#1 ·
I was just wondering how you can tell when your CV boots go bad cause my axles seem like the have been soaked in oil but I dont know if its the boot or just the seals. And how much will it cost to fix.

#3 ·
if it starts making a noise then you will have to change the axle. if there is only grease around just change them, i changed the two on my left side yesterday. the boots were around $11 and the guy charged me $40 to install the boots, front camber kit, and neuspeed shifter bushings, so it shouldn't cost you much. but just change both boots from the same side even if the other is not bad, don't want to have to pay again to do all that when you can have it done all at once.

#4 ·
If the boots are ripped there will be grease all over the place in there as drew00_gsr mentioned.
You can get the boots replaced as a cheap alternative, But I'd suggest replacing the whole axle. If you just replace the boot you'll have to change the axle sooner or later.
When you drive around with a ripped boot you let contaminants into the area. Like dirt,rocks etc. which stick to the grease. Just changing the boot traps all the contaminants in there and allows them to eat away at the bearings.
My suggestion is to change the whole axle. If you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.