Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a .8 bar spring and i was woundering if i can cut the spring to make it boost lower??

thanx TI

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
How would you know what it would be venting at?
Don't do that

EDIT: hold on, boost gauge, I'm being dumb

But still, buy a new spring. That's your best bet.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
umm, if you cut it, the second you get backpressure in your manifold, the exhaust will push open the wastegate and vent. that means you would never hit boost.
not a good idia

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not even if i cut a little. i wanna boost about 7 pounds at full boost. i have a stock ls and i dont wanna boost that amount yet.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
if you make the spring any shorter it will allow the exhaust gasses to vent before hitting the turbine. the springs are made so carefully to be the exact right size. if you were to take out the spring from the wastegate you would see it doesn't compress unless it is venting. while it is closed the spring is not compressed.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Don't you dare. Changes the whole integrity of the wastegate. That's like cutting springs on your suspension to make it ride better

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
i just thought about this a little more. if you were to cut the spring, you would be making it harder to compress. this is because there would be alot less material. think of a spring as stiff as the wg spring but a foot long, and then think of one the size of the wg spring, what spring would compress with less force? the longer one

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Are you sure about that, I think that the properties of a spring regarding the compressablity is dependant upon material. Cutting would be lenght. and that doen't have anything to do with it in my eyes, just reduces the lenght to full compressiblity.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I hate spring physics.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
try taking a vlave spring and compressing it with your fingers, now cut it in half and then try. i am positive you will never be able to compress the half valve spring with your hand. and since the wg spring is nothing but a big valve spring, why would it be any different?

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
I bet you could compress it with you hands the same, by cutting spring, you are reducing the distance for the spring to fully compress that's it. You aren't changing the spring rate. That's determined by material.

Someone back one of us up!

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Cutting a spring increases spring rates.

Do some searches on it in the suspension forum, it has been discusssed.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Here we go for the lazy as well

Myth #2) "Cutting a spring makes the spring softer."

I hear this one a lot. Actually, the opposite is true. Three things determine a spring's rate: wire diameter ( to the 4th power, the biggest factor), coil diameter (to the 3rd power), and number of coils (to the first power). As wire diameter increases, spring rates go up. As coil diameter and number of coils increase, spring rates go down. Cutting a spring does not change the wire diameter or the coil diameter. It does, however, reduce the number of coils, which slightly increases the spring rate.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
But how is spring rate measured? Like what are the units, are lenght envolved?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts