Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be putting in a Solo shifter this weekend. I have had my stock one out already and noticed that its not much shorter in length than the stock one. Yes I know how a short shifter works, that its the distance from the bottom where the linkage is to the ball that makes the difference, but I would like it to look shorter too!

Would cutting say an inch or so off the top have any ill effects? I think it would look a little better, but would it be harder to shift, its only an inch??
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
It would make the throws feel even shorter, which you may like. The only ill effect is that you would probably end up cutting off the threading, so unless you have a shiftknob like momo's that uses screws to secure the shifter... you will have to find another way to either attach the shift knob or have the lower part of the shifter threaded.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I do have a Momo that screws on, so no problem there. I'm just afraid it might me 'too' short of a shift, if thats possible..... but again, its only about an inch.....

·
Registered
428 Posts
Also, the shifts will need more power. Being that you are cutting the extra length off of the lever, you are also taking away from the leverage, shifts may be a little more sloppy and less easy. I did this when I had an accord.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
here's what i did with my 87 celica's shifter. my friend had a MIG-welder so we cut out like 1.5" of shifter in the middle, took the top part (w/ thread) and then MIG-welded the top half to the stump. Worked nicely - was sloppy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone!!

I guess I can put it in as is, then if its too tall, I can always hack saw or dremel the top off after.

·
Registered
183 Posts
if you ever go back to stock, or want to go back to stock shift knob, you can still use it. you'll just have to get what is called a DIE cutter. it threads things that have been stripped, or that haven't been threaded before. just find the thread size. i'm not sure what it is myself tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts