Team Integra Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
wenlyone on Feb/06/04 said:
mods, shape up.
Wow , geez that was a bit harsh, What do you exepect. Mods arent like super people or something , they may not have all the answers , and try to help when they can.. Do you know the answer to every question on here? and to say that they should go research? no they shouldnt , they are stating what they know , if the original poster doesnt like any answer they recieved on here , they cango research it themselves. You should appriciate the mods for all ther help and knowledge , not tell them to shape up. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
to many people here, mods'words are golden. if their knowledge apply here then guide the poster, if it isn't the correct knowledge, mods should be extra careful on giving questionable info.

i am not asking them to know everything, but if they are interested in helping this poster, they can talk to the tech and explain in lesser techinical terms to this poster.

most people call up the techs but still have no idea why they are doing what the techs told them to do, just because the terms techs use might not be easily understood, unless you have some prior knowledge on the subject. all mods here have the technical knowledge to understand any techs. 1-2 min phone call, then a little translation is always better than giving out questionable info.

their hardwork is not forgotten. some new mods still have to remember every post they make, impacts many people on the board. even when the info is not correct. sorry if it seemed harsh.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
There is so much misinformation in your post I don't know where to start.

the shock travel of 30mm doesn't have much to do with shock life.

You don't think fully compressing a shock has any effect on shock life? Why do you think shocks that are not designed for beyond X amount of drop, wear faster when you drop it lower?

Quote: bump stop progressive spring rate dual stage spring rate? you guys need to stop dreaming... hard rubber with rings around it doesn't make it progressive nor dual stage... all it does is prevent it from uneven rebound distribution.

Ugh.. so wrong.

Quote: As mentioned earlier, the foamy bumpstops are an active working part of the suspension. They work in harmony with the springs and the rest of the suspension components allowing the ride to be comfortable while cruising. When the car is in a handling situation, such as in a turn, they make the car feel firmer for better handling. Think of the foamy as a little progressive spring over the shock rod. All car manufacturer bumpstops have a specifically calculated spring rate and compressed height. (block height).

But what would H&R know about the subject?

What is a spring?

Quote: An elastic device, such as a coil of wire, that regains its original shape after being compressed or extended.

Is the bumpstop an elastic device, that regains its original shape after being compressed or extended?

Yes.

Are there two parts of the bumpstop, one soft, and one hard?

Yes.

Is there amount of weight in ft/lbs that will cause them to compress?

Yes.

Guess what, its has a spring rate.

Quote: well... if the suspension traveling speed coming up when you hit a bump is still accelerating, and before the spring rate can match that travel you hit the bumps stop, you will feel that sudden stop of the travel. that is where you feel the harsh, boom.
And what happens if you cut it? When you do hit the bumpstop, instead of having the shock velocity slown down by the softer section of the bumpstop before hitting the near uncompressable section... you go straight into the uncompressable section.

Wow, I am sure that doesn't feel harsh. Probably pretty good for the shocks as well.

A better alternative would be to simply drill holes in the soft section of the bumpstop, which would lower the rate required to compress it and prevent as sudden a stop. However, I still wouldn't adjust the stock bumpstops at all.

I suggest you shape up. I am NOT a new mod, and do I very much know that people take my posts seriously. There is nothing wrong with disagreeing or debating, that is what we are all here for. You obviously took this personally, and restorted to attacking me which is not acceptable. You can disagree, just don't be an asshole about it.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts