Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all, I wanted to know if I needed to do anything to my car before I install a turbo kit. Second, I found this:

http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yelevich/turbo/turbo.html

I wanted to know if buidling a custom turbo kit works just as good as a premade revhard and if it's reliable. All in all, is it more cost efficient to do that instead of buying a premade turbo kit.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
there are about 50 things i can see wrong in what he is saying. he has the use for the equipment right, but the rest is kinda crappy.

anyway, do what i did. I got revhard to ship me thier kit without the turbo, wastegate, down pipe, fmu, bov, and fuel pump. so all i was left with was manifold, charge piping, intercooler, and every hose, line, cupling, clamp, adaptor, flange, gasket, oil feed and return pipes, ect. that will save you alot of time and money. this way you get everything you need and ever will need to put the setup on your car. i just used a better engine management, bigger downpipe, better turbo, better wastegate, better fuel delivery, and a blow off valve that i liked.
for what i paid for the whole setup, most people pay for only part of thiers. look in my profile to see what i have.
it will be more reliable since you are using a better form of engine management and fuel delivery. this all depends on what you get.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
it was like $1200. don't quote me on that, it was a while ago. you can contact them about it. my entire setup cost about the same as a full rev hard kit and it is FAR better

·
Registered
883 Posts
actually it has been done to a friend of mine but it took him quite a while to collect all the parts. took him about a year to collect and it save him about 1000 dollars. he installed it with in a night and after 2 days they took it off cause they were overly excited that they installed somethings wrong.. no major mistakes to ruin the engine but enough to have them take the turbo out.... BTW... as i recall he also used the site to learn what he needs to get, how it works... etc etc etc. soo my conclusion, that site is not as reliable as lets say... going to a shop and having the parts installed by a pro.

·
Registered
384 Posts
i am in the proccess now of my own custom turbo setup. It really all depends on how much time and money you want to put into it. Like everyone says you can only have 2 out of 3 (speed, reliability, and cost) My turbo is gonna be running me about 1700. I am gonna get it tuned to perfection with hondata so it will be pretty reliable but no where near as reliable as stock. I have a 95 ls and will prob be getting around 200 to the wheels at 7 psi. In my opinion custom setup is the way to go, you just need ALOT of time. i spent well over 300 hours just on research on sites like this honda-tech, and homemadeturbo.
basically just do some research

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I've always been available to help out those needing to put together a custom setup w/o the hundreds of hours of reasearch. I was able to help STYLETEGSR with his setup, and its about ready to be installed. I even custom speced his turbo for HIS particular power goals and applications w/o losing any reliability. Give me a shout.. AIM is preferable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts