Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a bit of reading around TI and havn't come up with a conclusive answer to my questions so here goes...

From surferx and others spring rate articles i've gathered stock DC2 are either 224F (4kg) 179R (3.2kg) OR 212F (3.8) 117R (2.1) which is it? Obviously our cars are very prone and intended to understeer for the sake of safety.

I'm looking to buy GC coilovers as moneys tight being 17 years old and as i keep reading on ksports i keep seeing more and more unhappy folks (regarding lifespan usually) I've seen numerous spring rates for them as well but the one that stuck in my mind was 13kg front 7kg rear if i remember correctly, the year those were available i'm not sure.

GC "street" spring rates from a phone call to ground control are 380F (6.8kg) 250R (4.5) which seems very low when i was considering ksports. Other members are running this setup or slightly higher rates and seem very happy and would not go any stiffer.

My question is what is everyones opinion of 400F (7.2) 300R (5.4) rates is? I figured in stock form the rears are 55% as stiff as the fronts. With the GC rates i'm leaning towards, the rears would be 75% as stiff as the fronts. Is this a good setup or am I coming to far away from the stock understeer for "spirited" DD/very rare track time? Just for the record these will be run on tokico illumina's with a rear ITR sway for now.

Any opinions would be awesome, thanks

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
You are kind of looking at it the wrong way, do you remember Michael Delaney? Well he was talking about wheel rates and it took me a while to get but he makes a very good point because we have double-wishbone suspension we have ratios that apply to the struts since the shock sits away from the control arm. I got some Koni/GC this summer and it took me a while to understand and figure out what is needed for me. I got 500f and 375 rear and in reality the rear is actually 10lbs/in stiffer then the front and I love it its almost neutral with slight oversteer but safe and could be adjusted with struts.
Now I wish I would have gone with 600 f and something in 400s rear. look up wheel rates and you will understand what I am talking about if not hit me up.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blknblteg im pretty sure i understand what you're saying as our struts/springs are mounted where they are on the lower control arm and how our suspension is set up with upper and lower control arms. In reality spring rates that seem super super high really arn't in comparison to other manufacturers with different suspension systems. (Think i read a little tech blurb in SCC about spring rates on the writers VW in comparison to a civics and what they actually translate to on the car)

I guess now my question would be how high of a spring rate can tokico illumina's handle on a very mild drop? Also if anybody has opinions on their GC's throw 'em out.

·
Banned
1,961 Posts
Hey bud we are in the same boat, im 17 too, but ive already done my suspension upgrades...

I really like what I picked too: Tein Flexes (10k/7k), Comptech Rear Sway/Tie Combo, Skunk2 front and rear camber kits, and soon to order the password jdm strut tower bar package.

Anyways, since we probably have the same ideas on what we want to do while driving (mild track use, DD car, weekend warrior) kind of thing, I thought this spring rate might suit you well.

I run my shocks at (8/16)R and (10/16)R, 16 being the stiffest setting. This gives me mild oversteer combined with the hard setting on my comptech rear sway bar, and gives me an excellent amount of grip (even with warn tires). Rear cambers are maxed out in negative camber while the fronts are as much as I could put them without hitting the shock tower.

The car, handles amazing, complements from everyone who rides with me. If your roads are really poor (potholes, tarmac snakes, unevenness, etc) you might want to get just a bit softer, maybe 9k/6.5k but trust me, youll regret not going stiffer.

560/392

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I just calculated your wheel rates, and you will have 177lbs/in(F) 165lbs/in(R) so you will have a slight chance of understeer. Since you are brain storming and are after spirited driving you could go with my wheel rates which calculate to 222(F) and 206(R) this should be fine with the ITR sway.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
laughsalot i absolutely envy your setup...wouldn't do it much different if i had the money. Good luck on the password bars, i tried to get the 3pt myself only to see its out of stock for who knows how long. Definitely need to do some more looking around myself as 1300 on coilovers is far out of the question. GC's sound appealing for 330 due to their almost endless spring rates available and i've already got illumina's around. Given they will never perform as well as a finely tuned coilover like the flex's but i'm sure it will satisfy my needs.

blknblteg what are you running exactly? Seems you know your stuff for sure (I need to look further into actual wheel rates) so i'm curious what your set up is.

Anybody know the the limits if any within reason for the tokico illumina's?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I am running Koni yellows and GC with 500F 375R Lowered about 2 inches I plan on getting a rear sway soon. The reason I suggested to go with my spring rates is because I was in the same boat as you 4 months ago and after doing a whole lot of research I finaly made my decision but like I said before I should have gone to 600F 400-500R on full stiff its quite barable on even bumpy roads and once the shocks are softened about 20% it almost rides like stock. Another thing about my setup is its almost completely neutral and can be played around with. If I were you I would get Koni instead, I know your money is tight but its better to wait and save then asking what if or rialize later that a couple of hundred dollars would have been worth it. I paid 760 for my setup brand new by searching around diff websites and its worth every penny.

·
Banned
1,961 Posts
Thanks 94GSRteggy! I worked many many hours to get that stuff...minimum wage FTL!

Ill elaborate on what I suggest.

This is what I did. I am a crazy researcher when I am trying to look for something, so even before I knew much about the car, I started looking into aftermarket. I read that sway bars multiply spring rates...so this is what I figured...

Id get the car, start off with the sway bar upgrades. I read from T-I that the stock sway bar is 23mm/14mm(?? something like that) and I figured that make the rear much softer, along with the already softer spring rate it has. So I opted for a quality, good looking, and the best performing bar out there, and found comptech.

Ive still got the reciept, bought it off of nextlevelmotoring, it was like 430 or something to my door. I started installing it the same day, at the time I didnt have the mechanical knowledge I do now, and I couldnt figure out how to get the LCA bolts aligned... I later figured out use a jack to line up the LCA with the subframe..easy peasy, probably could have done it in 3 hours if it wasnt for my stupidness.

I started off on a normal setting, got pretty good at driving it like that, and I liked it a lot. one day, I was bored, took an hour to adjust it to hard (the exhaust is in the way, it was hot, lol, I was stubborn, I was by myself, and there was a few adjustments to align the bar correctly).

After that, my driving improved, the car handled like it was on rails, then for my bday, I figured, oh what the hell, ive worked really hard for a few summers, teins baby! I had already picked those out a few months in advance, I liked em a lot. So I got the teins, 1350 shipped to my door, installed em in one day (easier than the comptech rear sway bar, lol!) and drove around like that for a while. Didnt like it actually, it didnt grip as well as it used to. So then I opted for my skunk2 camber kits, bought the front one, installed it, took a vacation later that month to LA, worked fine, but the suspension wasnt very responsive (I was running a 4/4 setup for the weekdays, 8/8 setup for the weekends).

My cousin drove it, agreed with me about the front camber, so when I went back home to San Jose, I got my rear camber kits set them on max, and adjusted my fronts to as much negative camber as possible without hitting the shock towers...

Somehow this setup turned out to be sooooo freaking good, I cant even explain it. The tires are rubbish and on the weekend (or what I used to do on the weekend) highway 9/35/skyline runs, id keep up with motorcycles if the speed limit wasnt such a big deal. I did a few times when I was bored, wow it was fun.

Start with swaybars..they will satisfy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.