Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my friend has a prelude sh, and he just got some ground controls. now, what he did was call them up and they worked out a custom spring rate for him. now, my other friend with a sentra se-r spec v, just installed some springs (not coilovers) that had the same rate as his factory springs (said something about trying to maintain the factory ride quality), and his ride is slammed.

now, what i want to know is if i were to get coilovers with the factory spring rate (if that is possible with GC), then will i be able to attain factory ride quality? even with my eibach prokits, riding around town, i really "hear" and feel a lot of bumps
i don't intend on slamming the teg, i just wanna remove all wheel gap - don't even want the tires to be tucked a little.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
with ground control coilovers you will feel the smallest of bumps and sometimes even hit your head on the head liner. you wont get factory ride quality but you will get better cornering capablilties. imagine your car with the eibach pro kits and double the amount of abuse that you and your car takes and that's what coilovers feel like but i like it. good luck on your decision...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yes you will attain factory ride quality with factory spring rate spec's if GC did make them for you. However, any drop on those springs would give you the same affect as cutting springs.

The main problem here is that given the same spring rate, the suspension has less travel to bottom out. That is not good for your shocks.

For example, using stock springs {stock height} lets say a down force of 1000lbs pushed your car right to the limit, just before the chassis hits your bump stops.
Now if you had lowering springs of 2 inches with the same rate, that same 1000lbs will push the car the same depth, however you now have 2 inches less slack to work with. Bottoming out your shocks can cause them to crack.

If your friend with the Spec-V does have stock spring rates slammed to the ground, watch him run to the suspension shop ASAP.

Dropping your car and ride quality is trade off. You cannot obtain one without losing some of the other. However, a proper spring/shock combo can make the trade off as small a possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts