Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting an exhaust soon. I am for sure getting DC headers (4-2-1), but I wanted to know if I could get a custom exhaust cheaper than a DC exhaust which runs close to $450. I guy I work with said when he did his exhaust on his jeep, he had a muffler shop customize it with mandrel bent tubing and just put a Flowmaster muffler on it. They only charged him $150. Can I just buy a DC muffler, and then have the tubing done seperately in 2.25 piping? Do they even sell DC mufflers separately?

·
Registered
206 Posts
if you are going to go custom forget a DC Muffler, go for an HKS or an Apex'i N1, gotta love JDM!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
read the articles section, you'll make a much more informed decision.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
If you mean stepped diameters (larger diameters as you go downstream with the exhaust flow)...yeah, it helps reversion, but it's not sumthin you have to get. I have 2.5" tubing all the way down the catback. As long as there are zero bottlenecks in the system, you ought to be fine.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Michael Delaney on Jul/25/02 said:
http://www.dcsports.com/TCS.html

http://www.dcsports.com/CB.html

it does not appear that the dc sports people sell a separate axle back kit...just straight-through catback & twin-pass catback kits only.

ask if they can make you a stepped antireversion system...2 1/4 in. after the cat for 2 ft in length, and the remaining length at 2 3/8 in.
MD - let's say i get a 4-2-1 header with a 2" OD collector and a car sound cat with a 2.25" ID. wouldn't stepping down from 2.25" ID of the cat to 2.25" OD (= 2.12" ID) of the piping create a turbulence hence hurting the exhaust flow? wouldn't it be better to just attach a 2 3/8" OD piping to the cat therefore creating a true stepped design? i'm just a little confused here...

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Well, I'm not MikeD but I'm pretty sure that he would agree w/ me on this one.....

Assuming that you get a header w/ a 2" collector > 2.25" ID carsound. Sticking w/ a 2.25" OD exhaust would in fact create a choking effect on the transition from the cat (2.25" ID) out to the b-piping and back (2.12" as you stated).

To acheive a consistent diameter exhaust system, you should look into an exhaust with 2 3/8" OD piping so that your exhaust system would maintain a 2.25" ID from cat all the way to end at the exit of the muffler. Apex's World Sport cat back uses 2 3/8" piping and a chambered muffler....perhaps you may want to look at that one.

In Mike's articles he touches on the concept of the ideal exhaust system stepping up in diameter about every 2 feet. However the costs of creating a system like this are WAY expensive and keep manufactures from doing this on a macro level.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
blue - i believe the chambered design of the apexi ws muffler will restrict exhaust flow more than others with a straight thru muffler. since you have already recommended an exhaust to me, can you recommend a 60 mm cat-back with a straight thru muffler that's going to be reasonably quiet? (i know, i want everything and then some) i'm considering the greddy sp or the tanabe hyper medallion... anything else you can think of?

or should i just go custom altogether?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
D:
You are correct in assuming that the chambered design of the WS will in fact be more restrictive than a straight thru desing like an Apex N1 or Comptech muffler. I'm not sure that I can recommend a straight thru muffler to you that will be reasonably quiet because I have no idea what your definition of quiet is.

The Hytech catback exhaust utilizes a twin pass system (similar to DC) which consists of two small straight thru mufflers to kill the sound. Apparantly its just a bit louder than the oem system. Other than that, most of the straigt thrus will be fairly "boomier" than a chambered design. As you know the exhaust from both of these companies are really pricey. on your application (LS w/ mild boltons) I think the whp compromise between a chambered WS vs. a straight thru would be fairly small, assuming that you sized the rest of your exhaust system properly.

Just an FYI....the Tanabe exhausts are not quiet by any means. I've heard the greddy evo (not the SP) and its about as loud as my comptech. PM Mike D or Surfer if you're interested in the SMSP or Hytech-I'm sure they can give you lots more information on the specs of each company's system than I can. Unless you go w/ one of those.....you're going to have to chose what is most important a quieter car or all out no holds barred performance.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Just had an idea....instead of you buying the whole catback from Hytech. Call them and see if they will sell you the muffler section only (as I am sure that its cheaper than the whole catback system) and then mate that up to some custom piping.

I found a pic of the Hytech twin pass

The method used with this muffler to reduce noise is mainly absorption. The pulses have to travel through the muffler twice, which basically makes the muffler twice as long with twice the sound killing power. Also some acoustical tuning goes into making a muffler like this as well. With brass wind instruments, you change the note by selecting different length tubes for the air to travel. Longer tubes will give a deeper note while shorter tubes give a higher note. This type of muffler basically lengthens the tube, allowing sound waves to spread out and emit a deeper tone once exiting the system. The twin-pass design flows as well as a straight-through but will sound much quieter.

-SurferX, Exhaust design effects on noise article

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have custom 2.5 inch from the cat-back w/ a apex N1 muffler. If you want it you can take it for a resonable price. only 1 month old. Ohh yea i have a 96 tegra RS

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
ICC96INTEGRA on Aug/05/02 said:
I have custom 2.5 inch from the cat-back w/ a apex N1 muffler. If you want it you can take it for a resonable price. only 1 month old. Ohh yea i have a 96 tegra RS
Not to piss on your parade but.....

I believe Dragon is looking for a straight thru design that muffles as much sound as possible. The Apex N1 is notorious for being relatively loud. Plus, 2.5" is too big for the mods that he says he is adding.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Hey! Vern Troyer rules.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
BlueTeg on Aug/05/02 said:
on your application (LS w/ mild boltons) I think the whp compromise between a chambered WS vs. a straight thru would be fairly small, assuming that you sized the rest of your exhaust system properly.
that makes sense. besides the apexi ws, are there any other 60 mm exhausts that use a chambered muffler? i don't know of any...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
ICC96INTEGRA on Aug/05/02 said:
yo, icc. i'll let you know when i get my turbo. thanks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts