Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know a good idea for a single 15" subwoofer enclosure I could make myself that would be like a custom job done to my trunk? I also want to be able top put the capacitor and amp into the enclosure. If you know how to build one or know where I can find some plans please help me.
Thanx

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know about morning z's article on the custom box, but it doesnt explain itself enough threw a few sentences and the pics. Does anybody know of where I can get exact plans with instructions?
Thanx

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
basically all you need to know to do it, is what amount of air you need inside, the paperwork that came with your sub should tell you, build the box out of 3/4" mdf board (can be purchased at home depot, lowes, etc) glue and screw the box together (to insure it is air-tight), then cover it with the carpet of your choice, they also sell it at lowes, I think they sell it as marine grade..
then just draw up some basic designs of how you want it to look, when you figure out what you want it to look like, draw some rough blue prints and make sure you give the sub the air space it wants, or it wont sound right.. blah, its like 4am, im dead tired.. hope this makes sense..

·
Registered
567 Posts
i think sneedle covered it well, but i've heard screws in your box can cause it to split so it's bad for the box...who knows, i heard this after i made my box, and i already used screws and i never split my box...whatever..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, I dont know how you are on an apparent "No name brand" (insecurities under friend's sayings) But www.AdireAudio.com makes some really powerful subs. They make the shiva (12") for $130 free shipping, the Tempest (15") running for $150 free shipping, and the Brahma 10,12,15,(18) for however much it is. This is a company that is dedicated to the customer and has very good tech support plus a 3 year warranty. These subs hit hard, and play really low, and for the price, you cant go wrong. The store to buy them would be www.ampman.com and you can look at some feedback at www.teamamp.com

·
Registered
119 Posts
As for the box, people usually use 3/4 MDF, Medium Density Fiberboard. It is fairly cheap, 20 bucks for a whole plate, and it is sturdy enough. You should use 2" coarse-pitched drywall screws, but predrill ALL holes before putting these in, or the wood will split. You would use these in a combination of Liquid Nails (which is used with one of those push guns) to put the wood together. You may use this, or some Silicone Caulk, and make close the seams inside the box, so no air can leak out (which would be bad). I just made a box over the weekend, so if you have any questions, you can e-mail, aim or pm me.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I made my box at skool for two 12's, doing the math and figuring out the amount of air is the hard part, putting together was fairly easy. I used 3/4" thick MDF and lots of silicon caulk and that held it together really tight after it dried. This is just for a basic box, custom install will need fiberglass to mold a custom shaped box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts