1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What setup?
> Turbo

What for?
> Quick Street Car, Weekend racer (auto x and HPDE)

Ok heres the skinny:

Drive train:
ODBII 2000 B18B1 with 47,000 miles (have)
GSR Trans w/LSD and LS 5th gear (have not)
Upgraded Axles

Internals:
Stock LS pistons
Stock LS rods
Stock LS crank
ARP Heads Studs (have not)
Turbo Cams (not sure which brand yet)
Springs and retainers (to match the cams)
Stock valves
Block guard (have not)
GSR Water pump (have not}

Turbo Stuff:
GT3251 turbo (have)
Log manifold with centered WG position (not sure of brand but I have it)
38mm Tial Wastegate (have not)
Tial BOV (have not)
Garret Intercooler (have)
Charge piping (have)
Oil Lines (have not)
2.5" downpipe

Management:
Greddy Type S Profec Boost Controller (have)
Turbo Timer (have....forget the brand though)
Hondata S300 or Neptune (help me decide)
RC 750 injectors
Walbro 255lb Fuel pump
Stock dizzy
Stock fuel rail

Goals

I am looking for whp in the 275-300ish range
I know the turbo meets my needs as far as boost threshold and lag through discussions with TheShodan.

So my questions are:

1) What are the best quality oil lines on the market?
2) IS the S300 worth the extra cash?
3) Would a quaife LSD be sufficient or would that have problems holding up to the power I will be putting down?
4) If the answer to 3 is no then should I get the OEM LSD instead?
5) Are my goals realistic given the setup I listed?
6) Is any of my setup overkill?

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
shore96teg on Sep/07/07 said:

If you ask me, as long as you go braided, you are fine.

Quote: shore96teg on Sep/07/07 2) IS the S300 worth the extra cash?

I believe so because of the support and following...I am also biased because I run Hondata.

Quote: shore96teg on Sep/07/07 3) Would a quaife LSD be sufficient or would that have problems holding up to the power I will be putting down?

It will be fine.

Quote: shore96teg on Sep/07/07 4) If the answer to 3 is no then should I get the OEM LSD instead?

Quaiffe is superior to OEM, IMHO.

Quote: shore96teg on Sep/07/07 5) Are my goals realistic given the setup I listed?

Yes.

Quote: shore96teg on Sep/07/07 6) Is any of my setup overkill?
RC 750cc injectors.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
550cc should be fine. I made 400+ whp on 750cc and if I remember correctly, I was RIGHT at 80% duty cycle.

440's should even be fine, but I am not a fan of limiting myself because of something silly. With 550cc's, there will still be a little room to go.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
It makes fuel consumption slightly better and when you have a car with a loud ass exhaust, it makes it slightly quieter when cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
745 Posts
the ls 5th gear is a little shorter than the gsr's, so it keeps the rpms a little lower on the freeway. however, someone just did an auto to manual swap, and has a ls 5th gear in a gsr tranny, and at 80 mph it runs only 200 rpm lower...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
All looks good. My thoughts-
Hondata or Neptune- both excelent systems...but you know me- I'm a CROME guy!

Turbo Cams- Jeff Evans swears by the Crane LS stage2-T's...while the same level Crowers make power just as well, the idle quality on the Cranes is better. The caviat is that the Cranes tend to be about $200 more and a LOT harder to get a hold of. I have a set of Crower Stage2-Ts, and they were very easy to get.

Oil Lines-As CJ said- anything SS braided works great, and aeroquip fittings are awesome (even though they are $$$). Also, doing autoX and HPDE events, is there an oil cooler setup in there by any chance?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
gssrr on Sep/07/07 said:
the ls 5th gear is a little shorter than the gsr's, so it keeps the rpms a little lower on the freeway. however, someone just did an auto to manual swap, and has a ls 5th gear in a gsr tranny, and at 80 mph it runs only 200 rpm lower...
ls 5th gear is longer than gsr

·
Premium Member
25,245 Posts
I have crane turbo cams. It idles like stock. Can find them at summit racing...cost me about 500 bucks. Although, I don't think you need turbo cams for your goals. Not at all. Would use that money elsewhere.

Stay away from 750 RC injectors...read a few bad things about them on here.

I am one of those people against block guards. You will hear both sides of the arguments, however, so read up and make your own decision.

And for your goals, you should consider the disco potato gt28rs...that is one sweet ass turbo for a mild setup like your own.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Summit shows $530 and not shipping until 10-4/07...that's actually where I got the crowers.

He's already got the 3251, so unless there's a 100 dollar tree in his backyard, the 2871 is probably out of the question.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I also think that turbo cams and a block guard for that power level would be a waste.

I would say thats a great turbo for your goals and budget.
For a goal of 300hp on an ls motor I would reconsider stock pistons and rods.

As for EMS, what does your tuner recommend?

·
Registered
479 Posts
shore96teg on Sep/07/07 said:
Upgraded Axles

dont bother stock ones will be just fine

Quote: Internals:
Stock LS pistons
Stock LS rods
Stock LS crank
ARP Heads Studs (have not)

is the block apart?

Quote:
Block guard (have not)

dont bother

Quote:

stan at www.fast-turbo.com can get you a good oil lines

Quote: 2) IS the S300 worth the extra cash?

im switching from aem ems to s300 if that tells you anything.
Quote: 3) Would a quaife LSD be sufficient or would that have problems holding up to the power I will be putting down?

quaife lsd's are indestructable.
Quote: 4) If the answer to 3 is no then should I get the OEM LSD instead?

i think you got those questions backwards. i dont think you will have a problem with the oem differential.
Quote: 5) Are my goals realistic given the setup I listed?

yes
Quote: 6) Is any of my setup overkill?
550's will be fine as stated
oem diff will be fine
stock axles will be fine
stock block will be fine(if its apart i would put forged pistons and rods in there)

·
Registered
878 Posts
me too ive been plannin for a while now taking notes as i read and doin a lot of research. this is close to my plans i want 280-300whp , mild but fun

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
I too, would recommend an oil cooler. After 3 hot laps at redline, your oil will look like water otherwise. Hell, that happens even on my N/A LS build w/o the oil cooler, and i run 230 psi compression across all four and redline at 6800...

also, depending on your DIY-ness, I would invest in good gauging, like autometer full sweep electric's for boost, egt, oil press, and temp.

·
Premium Member
11,572 Posts
Oh yeah, another gauge to add would be wideband. I think it's better to have that in car and running all the time rather than just when you are tuning. It'll tip you off to something before a catastrophic failure occurs, should that ever happen....

Also, Hondata has a boost by gear option, so keep that in mind if you feel you're squealin tires in the lower gears.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
^yeah, mos def. Mike from synapse got everything perfect. We disagree on occasion, but im with you 100% on this one bro.

Most importantly, i would stay away from the RC750s (even though I run them, but am planning on getting rid of them as soon as I have the money) and definitely stay away from the blockguard.

Anyone know the specs on that turbo?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.