Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my group-buy Klasse and Platinum products. Unfortunately, they were misdirected at work (box WAS addressed properly). Even more unfortunate, Four Star LISTED MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER AND EXPIRATIoN DATE and stapled it to the front of the packing slip. Now I don't know how many people have had access to my credit card information.

Right now, I am p......

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hey, if you don't sign for it, you're not liable. If anything nasty happens, it'll just be a pain the butt, not an expense.

Also, you may want to mention something to Visa, Mastercard, AMEX about their practices - they may not be aware.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I'm not liable if I catch unauthorized charges quickly, but it can be a real pain. A friend of mine just had his credit card "put on hold" while the credit card company was investigating possible fraud. He didn't find out until he tried to use the card and it wouldn't work. Needless to say, he was embarrassed when his charge wouldn't go through. In addition to that, he has to wait another 10 days until he gets a new card.

·
Administrator
43,014 Posts
yeah, even if nothing happened, i would still be concerned for sure.....

i have my CC# memorized, and if i had to change it, i'd be very very very not happy (besides the fact someone coulda grabbed the #'s)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I actually work for MasterCard in Alberta Canada for the Alberta Treasury Branches. You should call the number on the back of your card and get them to send you a new one. You should call them right away and they can put a block on your card, send you a new one with a new card number, and they can also go through your transactions with you to make sure they are all yours. You will have to wait about 10 business days to get your new card though. Those guys are friggin' stupid to do that to you man. I hope you don't get screwed over.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Many credit card company's now offer private payment/one time use numbers. I use my Amex Blue card for online orders because it comes with a Smart Card reader which will generate a unique credit card number for each order. Very nice for online orders to prevent fraud. BTW, the Smart Card reader is free with Amex Blue.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good idea. I was gonna take a bunch of friends out to lunch on Saturday - but will just have to use cash instead.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well they were quick to reply, which is good.
Their response (and my reply below):

-----Original Message-----

I just want to offer my sincerest apologies regarding this matter. Of course
we assume when a customer requests that their order is sent to their place of
business that they will receive it unopened. In addition to opening your
package someone would have to also open a sealed envelope inside your package
that had your name and order number written on the outside. Unfortunately we
did not have control over who received your package at your place of
business. Nevertheless, we do apologize. Would a $35 gift certificate to our
online store help to earn your forgiveness? If it would I would be happy to
send you one.
Your oppinion is also important to me. This is the first time that this has
happened. In your oppinion should we not send the actual reciept along with
our invoice? Thank you for your help.

Dwayne McPeeks
4 Star Products

My reply:

Thanks for your reply. Whoever opened the box, also opened the envelope. Since the box was on someone's desk for two days before they contacted me (we have 10,000 employees at this site), I have no idea how many people could have had access to the information.

Perhaps it would be better if you had the credit information XXX'd out (that is, credit card numbers replaced with "X") on any documentation if you intend to include the receipt. After all, I know my own credit card number and don't need verification of it.

Many vendors X-out credit card information (or include just the last four digits) - even when you might be making a purchase at a store. This approach may be a solution to a situation like the one I encountered.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
That is the way that a lot of online stores do business. 4 Star has a store that they run as well. I don't know this for sure but I would imagine that they run your card the same way they run the card if you were there in person. The reciept gets printed at the register and they just staple it to the invoice. At least it isn't just sitting in their trash can for someone else to find. Check out the dumpster behind your local shopping mall sometime. I used to work for JCPenny and they threw away all of the credit card reciepts without even shredding them. They just sit out there in the dumpster waiting for whoever to come up and find them.

Anyway, don't be too harsh on 4 Star. Its not illegal to send you your reciept with your invoice. I'm sure they aren't going to do it anymore though after this. I'd go after the person that opened the box in the first place. That was where the illegal part happened. Tampering with the mail is a federal offence.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Latest response:

Barbara, one thing I have learned is to take good advice when it is given. I
will contact our merchant provider and insist on this being done immediately
with our terminal. once again I offer my apologies for this happening.

Dwayne McPeeks
4 Star Products

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jngrbrdman on Aug/13/02 said:
Anyway, don't be too harsh on 4 Star. Its not illegal to send you your reciept with your invoice. I'm sure they aren't going to do it anymore though after this. I'd go after the person that opened the box in the first place. That was where the illegal part happened. Tampering with the mail is a federal offence.
Actually, it came UPS. The legal issues don't apply.

I agree the person who opened the box didn't need to. My name (although crossed-out on the outside of the box), was legible on the sealed envelope. They didn't need to open the envelope to find out my name - plus since we have email, they could have gotten my phone extension and mail-stop from that.

In any case, I think it is important for TI members to know that their credit info. will be safeguarded. If packages are left at your door at home, you need to know that even if you lose the item to a thief, you won't lose your credit info. too.

Anyway, it looks like 4Star will be revising their policies. They certainly were QUICK to respond. They did so within minutes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts