Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Ive been noticing a slight creaking sound coming from this area most often when I 1st start driving the my 96 LS auto. I sometimes hear a slight tick or thump like sound as well. I dont think that its a CV joint because it doesnt do it when Im turning, but when Im going straight. I have never been able to 'make' it do it, I just hear it every now and then - but its definetly a new noise. I know its tough trying to describe a sound, but I was wondering if yall had any ideas? Maybe bushings or something of that kind? Im pretty picky when it comes to my car, little noises ANGER me! Should I worry?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
About this ticking noise, it only happens for the first mile or two for the first time I drive my car each day. Even if I leave it sitting in the afternoon for 5 hours it wont do it again - only the 1st time I drive it each day without fail or exception. The first time I heard it I thought I had a flat tire, does anyone please have some feedback?? I only hear it going in a straight line at any speed for the first mile or two. Its been going on for a week now - help please?

·
Registered
389 Posts
so is it a ticking or a creaking? did u get up under there and inspect stuff? maybe it COULD be a cv problem.
bushings can get get squeaky and creaky, as do all moving parts.
funny story:
now this isnt necessarily true in all cases, but its been my experience that your cv joint wont necessarily fail unless its exposed, unlubed, and gunk and sh*t is all up in it.(age also a factor im sure) so my friends car is making this funny noise coming from a similar area, and we get up under it, and everything looks ok, we also looked closely at the cv boots. noise gets worse, so we look at the cv boots again, and on the drivers side, when the axle isnt moving, the boot sits still and looks like its attached, we think its still fine. so my arm brushes it and it moves, completely disconnected from its clamp. lol. we were only looking at it, not touching/tugging on it. we didnt know the grease was out of it, or that it was disconnected because it looked fine. haha we felt pretty smart.
that was a couple days ago lol

just a funny story i thought i would share. good luck with ur prob.

if you cant figure it out, lube everything up in your suspension, clean everything in there pretty well with water, get out all the dust gravel dirt crap, and if your creaking doesnt go away, a good mechanic will check it out for you for free (ask him to drive the car w/ you around the block)

·
Registered
379 Posts
When you go out to your car in the am, when it happens, do a bounce test on that corner. I have heard shocks creek when they are shot, and they usually pump themselves up after a few bounces and stay relativley hard for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
431 Posts
id go with the bounce test too like vivisector said...also u might wanna check out the ball joint let us know....take hard corners on that side to duplicate the sound...

·
Registered
277 Posts
you could also take it to a shop and tell them you want and estimate, and they'll tell you what's wrong for free

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
This would be the best case senerio but do you have camber kits on your car? Perhaps the creaking you are hearing is just simply the bushings on you kit being dry and making some noise. My roommates do that VERY noticably and it went away with a little but of lube.

As far as thumping sounds, that would not be a camber kit. If you are hearing thumping I suggest waht everyone else has so far as well.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could you guys tell me a little more about a bounce test and what it is? What am I supposed to notice from it?

I don't have a camber kit because I had it checked out and my alignment (toe, camber) is fine.

I actually think that now it might simply be a loose front fender. I was messing with my plastic wheel well (which is annoying and won't stay!) and I grabbed the fender and it made a creaking sound. one of the little clamps that hold the fender pieces together looks like it is broken, so the two pieces rub together and make a little squeak/creak. It doesn't have a noticeable gap between the pieces so I never thought to look there.

Thanks for all the helpful input guys!! Who would have thought I would get a response over a year later?! That is some dedicated searching GSRBlackout!

·
Registered
379 Posts
It's been creacking for a year now, yikes. Still only in tha am. hmmm, then yes might just be that fender. The bounce test is simply pushing up and down on the corner of your car, which pumps up the shock, to see if it might be the part that is creaking. Since it has been going on for a year, and you haven't noticed anything else wrong with the shock, I am guessing it's not.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i had this exact same porblem in my 95 auto ls last summer. the result for me was the cracked inner fender, which is the cheapest and simplest to fix. if thats not your problem it could be one of many things, all of which i checked before i finally figured it out that it was just the fender. take it to a trustworthy mechanic just to be safe!

-warped rotor/brake issues
-auto tranny gearing problem
-loose motor or tranny mount
-cv's/axle

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply man - I'm pretty sure it is something similar to that. Now that you mention it, I do have a partially broken clip that connects the fender pieces together and it might allow some rubbing back and forth... Thanks!

I sure do appreciate guys like you that must have used the search function to find an old thread like this!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
i drive a 2001 auto ls.

I also have a similar creaking sound.. It can hear it when i stop at stop light and when i accelrate.. it sounds like birds chirping or a creaking sound. It usually only happens when it is cold outside.. I had my mechanic drive around the block with me, but of course it wasnt making the sound at the time.

also, since i am the topic of weird noises.. I now have a new sound when i stop at a light. it sound like it is coming from under the dash. it sounds like something is clanking around in my engine. like a belt or a wire is hitting a fan. i check and cant find any weird wires or parts floating around. and it only happens 2 out 5 times i stop at a light and only when my car is warm.

skilly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts