Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i installed my Clifford Matrix RSX 3.5 about 4 months ago as some of you guys here on the electrical forum might remeber, and i think ive got a very unusual problem...

yesterday while drving to Long Island towards the end of the 1.5 hour drive my doorlocks just unlock automatically(i have ignition controlled doorlocks set to oN, so they lock 3 secs after i turn on the ignition, and unlock immediately after i turn it off) and i hear my domelight supervision relay click as well as my transponder remote vibrate on the keychain hanging fom the ignition...it then does it again, this time the doors lock, and thwen it just keeps going back and forth, for twenty minutes....after a few minutes i glanced at the remote and saw that it was my remote starter that kept turning on and off by itself...i figured maybe the remote was F'd, so i had my assenger remove the AAA battery fro mthe transponder while i was drivng, but it kept going...it continued for a full 20-25 minutes, and then just stopped. I was planning on having to unhook my negative battery cable at the concert parking lot and lock it manually so that i wouldnt run the risk of having my doors magically unlock while in the concert...but since it stopped i figured it was ok, and i just used the alarm and my other security measures....

along with this problem, i have an issue with my Trunk functions, which i made a thread about a while ago, and most people just shrugged it off as "installer error", when i kept explaining that it couldnt be, for this reason: if i open the trunk and try to arm the system with it open, the alarm chirps a warning type tone and the remote flashes the trunk icon letting me know that the zone is unprotected for that armiong, since it is open while arming....so that is my proof that it is hooked up correctly, this function ALWAYS WORKS....THE PROBLEM IS, that the majority of times i can open the trunk and not have the alarm go off when it is armed, opening the trunk with the alarm armed SHOULD always set off instantaneous full alarm, it doesnt though, it will work once and a while (i occasionally pop my trunk forgetting the alarm is on once and a while) but most of the time not....

so basicaly, i think i have a screwed up alarm brain....i know this isnt common, but i think it is possible....

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I used to be an installer and it sounds like you could have a faulty brain (no pun intended). Or it could also be a weak ground. That would explain the constant unlocking/locking problem that you have. Its almost like its reseting itself when you unplug the brain. Make sure its grounded well. As far as the trunk goes, where did you get your wire for the trunk pin? You could have a faulty pin. Thats common. I have always either used a relay and use the trunk light for a signal, that way I don't have to worry about a bad trunk switch. Is your alarm a "G" series meaning you have to program it with clifford software or is it more of a basic alarm. I used to deal with all the clifford alarms at Audio Creations but then I went to work for Sounds Great back in the day and they carried DEI.

·
Administrator
43,018 Posts
Your trunk pin: just like the previous thread, it sounds like you never got to the alarm brain and try directly grounding the trunk input to tell you with absolute certainty that the brain is not accepting inputs from that wire... that is the oNLY way to definitely find out, all you have done up to this point is throw darts, and you are missing.....

Remote Start stuff: did you not hook up the included on/off switch that cuts the "check for ground" wire? simply opening this wire up (via the switch) shuts down the remote start 100%..... sounds like you didn't install that

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Also, if its a manual. You'll have to "clutch by-pass". The wires are under the hood on the drivers side strut area. JFYI

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MorningZ on Apr/22/04 said:
Your trunk pin: just like the previous thread, it sounds like you never got to the alarm brain and try directly grounding the trunk input to tell you with absolute certainty that the brain is not accepting inputs from that wire... that is the oNLY way to definitely find out, all you have done up to this point is throw darts, and you are missing.....

Remote Start stuff: did you not hook up the included on/off switch that cuts the "check for ground" wire? simply opening this wire up (via the switch) shuts down the remote start 100%..... sounds like you didn't install that
no i didnt install the inline switch for the ground, i didnt want it....

anyway, Kenny you were right, it was a ground problem, i stuck my hand up in my kinck panel and as i touched my taped-wire harnwess it started doing it again....

now hat i think about it, i hit a GIGANTIC pothole on the Throgs neck bridge a few seconds before it started happening going to Long Island....i grounded everything with ring terminals and all other connections were soldered tho, so i dont see how one came loose....

it seems as if i have ZERO time lately for anything, so i will have to trace it when i get a free hour sometime soon...and i will get to testing that trunk wire too, no i didnt forget your suggestion MZ but i havent had my dash off since the last of the install was done and its not one of those in your face things that i can remember to do...but i will address it eventually

·
Administrator
43,018 Posts
JustTegIt on Apr/22/04 said:
no i didnt install the inline switch for the ground, i didnt want it....
thats not a good move... thats an important switch to have!!

imagine going to get your oil changed (or whatever), and a mechanic "accidentily" presses the * button to get it to start..... there goes your car...

that switch, which was included for a good reason, is the way to absolutely put the remote starter in "valet" and also shut down the remote start in case of problems, like, i dunno, the remote start randomly activating itself while driving

install, install, install.....its hands down the most important part of any alarm......

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MorningZ on Apr/23/04 said:
Quote: JustTegIt on Apr/22/04no i didnt install the inline switch for the ground, i didnt want it....
thats not a good move... thats an important switch to have!!

imagine going to get your oil changed (or whatever), and a mechanic "accidentily" presses the * button to get it to start..... there goes your car...

that switch, which was included for a good reason, is the way to absolutely put the remote starter in "valet" and also shut down the remote start in case of problems, like, i dunno, the remote start randomly activating itself while driving

install, install, install.....its hands down the most important part of any alarm......
[/quote]

why would i ever give a mechanic my $100 alarm remote...that aint happening, transponder remotes arent cheap, and there is no reason for anyone other than me to ever have it in their hands....any valet type situation will get a valet key, its that simple....

im sure you remeber all the time i spent installing that piece, i definately didnt skimp, the only things i didnt hook up were the defroster output and that switch, i thought it thru and decided that I would never use it, so why risk more probems with two additonal connections, that is just two more connection where something can go wrong...

i can tell we arent gonna see eye to eye on this one, but i thought thru not putting that switch in before i did it...i mean, its not like i didnt put in my VALET switch or something, lol (remember that "Amusement" thread about the car wash)

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update: the culprit for this dilemma was the white/blue remote start activation input... i wasnt sure when i was installing the alarm if i was ever going to use this wire to have another method to start the car, so instead of fully clipping the wire right at the harness, i left about 4 inches of the wire coming out of the harness tucked up by the brain....but i forgot to place tape around the end of the wire, and of all places for it to end up, the end of the wire had been resting on the knee bolster (which is grounded to the frame) and i guess that huge bump i hit on the way to the concert was the final straw and allowed the tiny guage wire to touch the knee bolster momentarily for every comsequent bump, and activate the remote start....

anyway, the odds of this happeneing are one in a BIG number, but it is my fault for not taping the end of the wire like i meant to, it was one of those things i meant to go back and do but never did...live and learn i guess, i made a ton of mistakes on that install, but its good, becasue now i will never make them again..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts