Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so pretty much im stuck litterally...i am trying to change my timming blet and oil pump and the crankshaft pulley bolt will not budge heres what i have tried so far

breaker bar of all lengths
impact wrench
pb blaster and wd 40
rachet and then smashing it with a hammer lol last resort

i am putting it in 5th and holding the brake but the pulley still moves some so tomarrow i am going to put a chain wrench on the pulley to hold it still but do you guys have any other opinions on how to get er off...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this sounds a bit unorthodox but if you have a pickle for and you pull your flywheel cover off there is a good slot to put the fork in and hold it solid then break it with at least a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar using like a jack handle for and extension. Be careful with the fork though it could damage your flywheel, however I never did when I had to do this.

·
Registered
639 Posts
honda or some other manufacturer makes a specific tool that will hold the hex in the center of the crank pulley allowing you to remove the bolt. If you don't feel like spending the money on it or constructing one yourself (google probably has directions as people do make their own) find a buddy with a higher quality impact...it should pop right off no problem. I thought the same as you, took it to a buddies shop, and then was laughed at as it came right off. Good luck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cinteg- lol that has to be the most random thing in the world to compare a car with a pickle fork but i get what your saying ill give it a try if everything else fails

gsr- yeah i know i was going to get the pulleey holder but to dam expensive to just use once but thanks i might have to get one.

thanks so far

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have one of the HEX tools I put a breaker bar onto and let this breaker bar rotate so that it hits one of the suspension arms to hold it in place. Then I have a 19mm impact socket on a 25" breaker bar that I slip a 4' section of galvanized pipe over. I then bouce on this thing with my weight (175lbs) and it will eventually break loose with a loud bang.

A chain wrench might hold it if you have a big one, I'd recommend putting an old section of a belt around the pulley so it doesn't tear the pulley up. With how much force it takes to break mine loose, I don't know if a chain wrench will hold it.

I also have a CRX that needs a new timing belt and since it doesn't have the 50mm HEX in the middle, I'm going to try my chain wrench on it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
find a snap-on truck and buy a 1000 ft/lb impact gun. mine has never failed me on anything.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I don't recommend the chain wrench, you may break the crank pulley or damage the grooves. Definitely let some PB Blaster soak overnight and try hitting it with the impact again, make sure you have an impact socket and preferably a shallow socket, you lose less torque that way.

You can always get a stronger gun, but I don't know if you'll want to spend $300+ for the IR Titanium 1/2".

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would not try using the chain wrench, because if you mess up the pulley then your screwed even more. Its going to be a royal PITA to get without the wrench to hold the pully still. Just make a tool and you will see how easy it really is once u can hold the pully from moving.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I also used the actual hex tool made for that...i put it on a breaker bar and wedged it against the floor, then proceeded to get a heavy duty 19mm socket+ extension attached to another breaker bar with a 4ft pipe. Just took a few bounces and it was off.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.