Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tore apart the teg this weekend to do a valve adjustment and change the timing belt. We spent about 1/2 hour trying to get the crank shaft bolt off. Tried setting in high gear, then low gear, and then reverse. Nothing in the manual we had indicated anything out of the ordinary (i.e. left thread) Have any of you had this problem or know of any solutions?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I had to take off eveything else and leave the oil pump connected to my crank. it is out of the block, pulley and pump still attatched. what a pain in the ass!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Not quite sure what you're talking about Jacksont001...oil pump shouldn't be involved in this job at all. Anywho...I'm not sure if it's safe to put the car in gear in order to hold the crankshaft in place...but this is how I did it. I went and rented a strap wrench from the hardware store. The one I got was a bit too big and I had to put wood between the teeth on it and the crankshaft pulley to keep it from digging in too badly. I set that strap wrench up so that it was being forced towards the ground when the bolt was loosened (built up a few blocks of wood under the handle too). Then I put a big ass lead pipe on my wrench and went at it. The say it's supposed to be torqued to 140 ftlbs...my a$$. I'd say it was probably near 250-300 ftlbs. Some moron with an impact gun probably did the timing belt job before I had the car.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I take them off with a very good impact wrench. My cheap one won't do it. My good one puts out 400ft lbs of torque.

GSRShane: 140ft-lbs to tighten doesn't mean 140ft-lbs to loosen. Especially if the bolt has been there for awhile (like 6 years). I've done 3 timing belts so far and they all have been a pain to get off. The first time the dealer let me borrow the special tool to get it off.

--Tony

·
Registered
865 Posts
Good point, heat and time do seem to be the ingredients in the strongest epoxy known to man. Did this special tool by any chance fit into the huge socket shape on the inside of the crankshaft pulley? Looks like some sort of hex-head tool with a hollow center to allow access to the crankshaft bolt? Just curious, I noticed that convenient shape on the inside of the pulley when I did mine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the imput guys. We did try the breaker bar, but the wrench extension snapped (resulting in lots of foul language). The impact gun we had just wasn't strong enough. I'm getting access to a stronger one on Friday, hopefully that will work, but I don't wanna be left without a back up plan. (Not gonna tear the car apart for nothing again.) Again, thanks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
GSRShane: That is exactly what the special tool is for. It's called a Pulley Holder. That and a breaker bar will get the bold off.

An electric impact gun won't do it. Here's a picture of mine. The one on the left (Campbell Hausfeld ~125ft-lbs of torque) was the first one I bought. It came in a kit and it barely takes lug nuts off. The bad boy on the right is a Craftsman and has 4 settings up to 400 ft-lbs. That is what is needed to get that bolt off.
Click Here for Pics

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
my air impact wrench (250 ft lbs) didnt do squat. and to compound the fact The engine was already out on the lift. so I tried all sorts of ways to loosen it. Finally I said screw it, took apart everything else. eventually I got to the point that I had to take out the shaft, so I removed all the oil pump bolts but the one that was behind the pulley. I backed that one out until it was backed up to the pulley, hacksawed it off, grabbed the remaining part with vice grips and unscrewed it the rest of the way. so right now my crankshaft/oil pump/pulley is all on unit and I need to find a big ass vice that can hold my crank while I "bust a nut" off of it to remove the friggin pulley. damn I wish I would have loosed that nut sooner!
a pulley holder would definitely help!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Maybe if you pleed your case with the dealer they will let you borrow it. I went to them and said can I buy it. They said sure, its about 40 bucks. I'm like cool, overnight it here. And they said, that tool takes a month to get here (something about boats and Japan, I don't remember, cuz I almost fainted). The guy seeing the position I was in, said here just borrow it and bring it back when I was done.

You might be able to rent it. If not I know you could rent/borrow an Impact Wrench that goes up to 400 ft-lbs.
--Tony

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
dwolsten, there is a nifty device which I did not use (thank you ..DOH!) which hooks to your flywheel and your flywheel cover bolt that holds your crank in place while you torque the crap out of the crank bolt. pm surferx I think he posted a picture of how he used a box end wrench to do the same thing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
right.

once you hold the pulley in place with the proper tool, removing the bolt becomes possible.

If you cant buy/wait on the tool, and you cant make one (weld a large nut to a piece of stock), you could also opt to use a chain wrench to hold the pulley. The problem is the chain will most likely damage the pulley, so expect to either repair it or put a new one (junkyard) on.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
MichaelDelaney on Aug/28/02 said:
2 words: impact gun
9 words: 500ftlb impact gun with honda powered gasoline air compressor

250ftlb gun didnt do **** for me, breaker bars, etc. broke 4 sockets in the process. it was a bith

·
Registered
84 Posts
So considering all the torque on this bolt, wouldn't it be a good idea to get a new one from honda if you are going to remove it? I am about to get my timing belt done and I wonder if I should get a new bolt...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts