Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of replacing my timing belt after it broke. I'm trying to get the crank pulley off. In the Hane's (not sure if spelling is right) manual, it says to use a strap wrench. I bought one, but it just didnt have enough power to keep the crank still while I was removing the nut. I like the idea in the timing belt replacement article, but when I tried it, the crank still moved. Am I doing something wrong? The wheels are in the air, but I had it in 5th gear ( I even tried it in 1st), with the brakes on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in that write up its says
"8) Remove the pulley bolt and crankshaft pulley.

Have a friend get inside the car, put it in 5th gear and have him/her press on the brake pedal. This will allow you to break the bolt loose because it does not allow the crankshaft to rotate."

Thats what I tried, but the crankshaft was still rotating

·
Registered
647 Posts
my boyhas this tool....and this is the one I have(search part number CS7876),i like the one i got personally after using both, mine uses less effort to get the pulley off....

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Moroso makes a large pulley holder that fits inside the crank pulley, then you slip on a 19mm socket onto a breaker bar (do not use a ratchet, the amount of torque required will destroy the teeth in the ratchet) and work the two tools in opposite directions.. to essentially double the pressure and break it free...

Personally what I did, was slid the moroso tool on, and kinda hold it in place, then use the breaker bar to crank the engine over, until the moroso bar was wedged against the ground, but firmly inside the crank pulley (took a couple tries) thengot the 18" break bar, 19mm 6-sided Deep Wall, Impact wreck, socket, and a 36" piece of iron pipe slid about 5 inches onto the breaker bar (basically a 40" breaker bar) and put everything I had in it, to the point where the pipe was bending... broke the bolt loose, then it came out with my fingers...

It takes some creativity to get it off, and alot of muscle.. But aside from aligning everything when youre putting the new belt on, its the hardest part of the whole ordeal..

Oh, and I tried the strap wrech thing, didnt work.. Neither did the 5th gear and a person inside on the brakes.. I was still turning the engine over.. best bet is that moroso tool..

http://moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?CatCode=27115
^--thats the tool

Edit:
best bet for finding one locally is look for a matco truck driving around and flag him down, or do some calling around looking for a matco dealer..

Ive also heard that an acura dealer will break it free and retorque it to stock specs for a small fee, but if the belt is broken, you obviously cant drive it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.