Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i am doing my water pump on my LS. And now i am up to the crank bolt pulley. Well it wont move and i have searched and came up with some answers as to how to get it off. i tried a metal pipe i put over my socket and held the brakes and put it in first gear and the whole engine still turns. Also i have had 2 air compressors at my house and none will take it off. Do i still need that special tool snap on makes for it? thanks chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,532 Posts
The tool will make it easier.

The two times I have helped a friend get it off, we took off the dust shield to the tranny, and I held a large screwdriver in the teeth of the flywheel to hold it into place.

Like you, I tried to get my crank bolt off using a 350ft/lb impact gun with no luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
919 Posts
I got mine off w/ no problems with my impact.. keep in mind it might have something to do with your compressor. The little (25 gallon?) one I have at my house barely gives my gun enough torque to take off lugnuts, but at work running at 120PSI it took my crank bolt off like it wasn't even torqued down.

The tool would probably help you, or try what Ross said with the screwdriver on the flywheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright thanks u guys... well one was like that and then we got a 5.5 horse gas compressor and it didnt work either. I wish i didnt have to buy the tool cause i wont ever use it again cause i aint doin that to my car ever again. isnt it like 65$ for the tool?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
StyleTEG on Feb/01/04 said:
The tool will make it easier.

The two times I have helped a friend get it off, we took off the dust shield to the tranny, and I held a large screwdriver in the teeth of the flywheel to hold it into place.

Like you, I tried to get my crank bolt off using a 350ft/lb impact gun with no luck.
i had to do the same after 2-3 days w/ no luck from anything else. i think i may have broken a finger or 2 the flywheel way, but u gotta do what u gotta do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i dont have access to a impact anymore so we got to do this the hard way. Or ortherwise i am having it towed to a shop and let them have fun with it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I'm having the same problem, I've tried 2 different impact guns including a snap-on to no avail, I've tried to do it with a breaker bar and strap wrench also and it wont budge at all. So I'll second that request for a solution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,059 Posts
you have to use the tool or some other form of holding the motor in place. Then go buy a breaker bar, then go to home depot and get a long ass piece of metal pipe, stick that over the end of the breaker bar, and hit that with a sledgehammer if all else fails.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
br1t1shguy on Feb/02/04 said:
you have to use the tool or some other form of holding the motor in place. Then go buy a breaker bar, then go to home depot and get a long ass piece of metal pipe, stick that over the end of the breaker bar, and hit that with a sledgehammer if all else fails.
AKA cheater bar, tried that also, nothing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
i took a chisel to the teeth on the flywheel. just hold it really tight. then have a buddy use a breaker bar on the bolt. it worked fine for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright thanks for ur answers.. ill try it again this week and if it fails my neighbor owns a mechanic shop and i know he would hook me up so who knows
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
re install all the parts on your car. make a call to the nearest repair shop, ask them to break it loose for you .they may charge you a little. then re- tighten, by hand. drive your car home [ easy ]. when you finish drive it back for a re torque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i am goin to have it on flat bed or somethin cause i aint driving it in all the salt we have had all last month and another sotrm about ready to hit tonight. so i am goin to have the shop reinstall everything. i have all the parts i need so all i pay is labor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
FulBlwnTeG on Feb/01/04 said:
... I wish i didnt have to buy the tool cause i wont ever use it again cause i aint doin that to my car ever again. isnt it like 65$ for the tool?
Are you talking about a harmonic balancer remover? I've never used one so I don't know exactly how they work but autozone loans this tool, I may try that if that's what it needs...
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top