Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently i scrapped while i was driving and caused a hairline crack on my transmission case . i need help man i want to keep my car , i don’t want to take it to a shop to get over chargered so much. but i’m not sure what i should do....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I do not believe it is possible to weld cast aluminum. I'd try and call around to a couple welding shops and ask them. At least the trans doesnt pressurize much or get too hot..

·
Registered
86 Posts
It is possible to find replacement trans casings. But with that many miles, and taking it out of the car & tearing it apart, not rebuilding would be quite foolish. And yes you can have it welded. Easily. There are many talented welders out there that weld cast aluminum all day.

That being said, a good used trans should run $300-$500. Rebuild kits are around $200-$300. Casings can be had on ebay/online salvage yards for like $125-$150 range. A good welder will probably charge the same.

But if you replace the casing half, make sure you get the right pieces. LS & B16 trans casings are the same. But GSR trans casing is different due to different length counter shafts.

If you don't know what trans you have, there are markings and stickers. And if all else fails, you can count the teeth on the gears themselves to find out which trans you have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts