Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how much it would cost to have a quality bore out and resleeve to a b18c1 to 85 mm?

Quality D porting $?

Places to get it done?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Golden Eagle had groupbuy last year that was around $650 but no longer offers it since the guy that organized the groupbuy really botched the organising and caused more headaches for them than they wanted. You are looking around that ballpark of $600-800 though for the bore and resleeve depending on the local machine shop resources. If you go to Overboost.com and register there, then search in their FAQ section using "Golden Eagle", you will see the process...having a bore machine to precisely center bore from the cylinder centerline perfectly round, centered, perpendicular bores is crucial...no hand grinder please!

The sleeve's design must allow engine coolant to circulate to the top of the block and then back to the radiator while at the same time supporting the cylinder walls against the block.

There's a lot of good headporting shops around and they don't necessarily have to be import only. Motorcycle racing headporters have the same experience and can get you a great porting/polishing job, a long as you discuss the application (FI vs NA), cams, CR, redline, fuel, powerband location with them and your goals ahead of time.
Portflow, DPR, Topspeed, Leitner and Bush, Prospeed, and Alaniz Technologies are well known ones but this is not meant to be an exhaustive list....

I don't know what you mean by D porting.

Headporting costs depends on how much you want done..basic 3 angle valve jobs with bowl blending/polishing into the seats and mild cleaning up of the port runner, port entrance, and short turn radius can run as low as $400. Full blown work with flowbench testing can run as high as $1500. An average cost runs around $600-900.

Considering a good all motor cam for a heavy hitter motor runs $700-1100, that's not an unfair price for headwork.

Like anything experience is important...don't take it to a shop that only does V8's and never saw a Honda aluminum head before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. I'll be making some calls.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I thnk he meant D-porting as in shaping the ports to a D shape? Or porting ports with the D shape? Can you enlighten us?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
the only shop I know that does D-shaped ports is Endyn...but I'm sure the others can do them if you ask....

I think I covered D-shaped ports before in the Articles Performance,Engines Internal Section under "Ideas: flow velocity, flow capacity, and flow quality, here in page 4 .

Is there a more specific question you are asking that isn't covered there?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, Mike I just notice the part about the handgrinder in your first post. I will post price quotes when I get them.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
MadMook on Sep/20/02 said:
LOL, Mike I just notice the part about the handgrinder in your first post.
a friend of mine who is an engineer by profession got a set of fully balanced and blueprinted Spoon JDM ITR pistons and did his own honing using a grinder on his ITR block in the garage...he did not get a perfect uniform perpendicular cylindricity. I suspect this is one reason why he is not getting all the power he can out of them due to poor ring seal. The boring and honing machines you see in that Overboost.com article do them perfectly straight and centered without variation from cylinder to cylinder...I highly recommend that you spend the extra cost to have them done by the machine rather than trying to save money and doing it manually yourself or having a shop do it manually.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts