Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the radiator on my 98 Integra GSR. Followed the owners manual/service manual for burping the coolant. What confuses me is that neither the owners manual, or service manual say anything about watching for air bubbles during these steps. Basically warm the car up with the cap off and heater slider to MAX, wait for fan to turn on twice, top off coolant, and your done. However, all the videos I'm finding suggest waiting for coolant to stop bubbling.

After following the official procedure in the manual 3 or 4 times, and several days of driving, I'm still seeing bubbles coming up. I've even tried running with the cap off for around 40 minutes, letting the fans come on around 4 times, and occasionally revved around 2.5k RPMS. Even tried jacking my car up in the front, and every time I squeeze the upper or lower hose, several tiny bubbles manage to make their way out. Is this air, or gas??? Should I be driving it?

Thanks

·
Administrator
3,596 Posts
Driving is fine. If you've been driving for several days, any air would've found its way out by now. Top off the coolant if it's not already filled to the top of the radiator....and you're done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So for future reference, should I just continue to follow the manual and not worry about any air bubbles? I'm a very "by the book person", so I want to be sure I'm doing everything the way the manufacture intended.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update, bled it again this morning, and still getting a decent amount of bubbles as well as some foam at the top of the radiator....

Maybe a leaky head gasket?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update......

Had a combustion leak test done at oryllies, looks like my head gasket is blown. Hopefully didnt do too much damage by driving it for the past week........

Man this forum is dead

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update......

Had a combustion leak test done at oryllies, looks like my head gasket is blown. Hopefully didnt do too much damage by driving it for the past week........

Man this forum is dead
Yeah, only gonna get better if ya let people know about the forum though.

·
Administrator
3,596 Posts
Man this forum is dead
When members have input, and time, they'll reply. This isn't a "Users are standing by to answer your questions". Additionally, this is an Integra forum. They're dying, being crashed, or scrapped, and many, many years old. The site was bigger 10+yrs ago. People have moved on to other vehicles, and with that, other vehicle forums. Additionally, automotive Facebook groups have grown ten-fold in the last 5-7yrs, making a forum less appealing to the younger generation.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
When members have input, and time, they'll reply. This isn't a "Users are standing by to answer your questions". Additionally, this is an Integra forum. They're dying, being crashed, or scrapped, and many, many years old. The site was bigger 10+yrs ago. People have moved on to other vehicles, and with that, other vehicle forums. Additionally, automotive Facebook groups have grown ten-fold in the last 5-7yrs, making a forum less appealing to the younger generation.
THIS. I didn't even see the thread until today. At any rate, as long as you didn't overheat while you were driving, you shouldn't have much trouble, if any. The head gaskets are fairly easy to do. When you put it all back together, use ARP head studs (or bolts, can't remember which since it has been 13 years since), though. It is worth the price. There are a ****-ton of articles and step by steps in TI, so you should be good on instruction. Get the head resurfaced and inspected too, for just in caseys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts